This Is It (song) in the movie

Dangerous 1991 HIStory

Proud Member
I already posted this but it got locked because it was in wrong section!

I am thinking about the concerts and the song right now and I wonder - why would a genius like MJ wanted to end his concerts with mediocre, 29 years old song? I mean I love this song but it's not up to MJ's standards...
There is a "spoiler thread" in This Is It section and the poster said that This is It is the last song in the "movie" (documentary). But the poster also said that during the song there will be credits rolling...
What if This Is It song has nothing to do with the tour - except that it shares the same title?
I don't know if I beleive that MJ has wanted to perform it.
But one thing is for sure. If This Is It won't be performed in the movie, than i'm not buying the album. Sony should not be marketing this song as a new; they should say that it's a demo!

well from what i've read, the song wasn't meant to be called This Is It as it was written for someone else with a different title, the mere fact the song starts with the words 'This Is It' is coinidence...that's my understanding anyway :)

so...i don't think michael had any intention to ever release this song or perform it, just another money-making ploy from sony.

well from what i've read, the song wasn't meant to be called This Is It as it was written for someone else with a different title, the mere fact the song starts with the words 'This Is It' is coinidence...that's my understanding anyway :)

so...i don't think michael had any intention to ever release this song or perform it, just another money-making ploy from sony.

That is interesting, because MJ actually did recorded song This Is It in early 80s...

What do you mean the song starts with This is it? He repeats it several times in the chorus...it is not just at the start of the song.

And you are stating things that you know nothing about as facts.

The song was created around 1980...copyrighted as THIS IS IT by MICHAEL JACKSON in 1984.

Sa-fire's version came out in early 1990...MJ did not write the song for her SPECIFICALLY.

Google is your friend. Your comments will be taken more seriously if they are based on FACTS.

Last edited:
I think the production of the single is shocking, doesn't do anything for Michael's legacy.

Just sounds too much like a rough demo, than a finished song. I'm sure with todays technology they could have improved the sound quality, especially on Michael's vocals.

I won't be buying the greatest hits, I've got Billie Jean over 11 times on different albums, I won't be buying the same songs again, sorry.

Umm...i agree. sounds like they ripped it directly from the cassette tape or vinyl to digital form, no mastering at all :p

Unreleased Michael Jackson Song Features Background Vocals From Brothers

Be sure to take a box of Kleenex with you when you see Michael Jackson's "This Is It." Expect people to be crying when watching Michael's posthumous concert film which hits the big screen on Wednesday, October 28.
If seeing footage of a healthy Michael effortlessly firing through production numbers just days before his death does not tug on the heart strings of fans, hearing his previously unreleased song, "This Is It," during the film's closing credits will definitely evoke emotion. The song was released Monday at midnight on MichaelJackson.com.
The song's opening lines are prophetic, as they succinctly summarize what the late King of Pop represents to his global listeners:
"This is it, here I stand
I'm the light of the world I feel grand
This love
I can feel
And I know yet we're sure it is real"

For a second, you feel as though Michael recorded this track for this very moment. The lyrics are actually about gently ending a relationship with a lover.
Michael's voice shines through, displaying the passion he did on "She's Out Of My Life," "Heal The World," and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You."
Hearing his brothers' perfect subtle supporting harmony sweetens the offering in typical Jackson 5 form.
This song makes us miss him that much more.
Disc 1 of the 2-CD set includes a compilation of hits. Disc 2 includes demo recordings of "She Out Of My Life," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," and "Beat It."
See "This Is It" album complete tracklisting below:
Disc 01
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
"Jam"
"They Don't Care About Us"
"Human Nature"
"Smooth Criminal"
"The Way You Make Me Feel"
"Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)"
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
"Thriller"
"Beat It"
"Black Or White"
"Earth Song"
"Billie Jean"
"Man In The Mirror"
"This Is It"
"This Is It (Orchestra Version)"

Disc 02
"She's Out Of My Life (Demo)"
"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (Demo)"
"Beat It (Demo)"
"Planet Earth (Poem)"

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hi...ong-features-background-vocals-from-brothers/

ETA: This blog has already received over 700 comments...mostly positive. I think people who love R&B will really get a kick out of this song. Since it predates MJ's more pop-ish eras.

What do you mean the song starts with This is it? He repeats it several times in the chorus...it is not just at the start of the song.

And you are stating things that you know nothing about as facts.

The song was created around 1980...copyrighted as THIS IS IT by MICHAEL JACKSON in 1984.

Sa-fire's version came out in early 1990...MJ did not write the song for her SPECIFICALLY.

Google is your friend. Your comments will be taken more seriously if they are based on FACTS.

Calm down.. Don't be mean to others please..

I totally agree with the thread opener!
I think the song has potential even though to me Michael's voice wasn't at his best.
However its still an old demo sony didn't take the time to polish for primetime.
To market it as something new, the title track of the movie/tour is just wrong.

My thoughts exactly...

I can't believe Michael wanted to release this.. and perform this.
No way...

Sony is releasing a demo record to promote movie and soundtrack(!) album. This is not it! Michael wouldn't release this incomplete record.

By the way, I love his sound. I love the record.

and

Sony sucs!!!

Back