THIS IS IT? (something regarding new song "Stay" )

mkgenie

Proud Member
November 20, 2010 Features
Posting an online stream of a new song has long been a standard way of stoking public interest in a forthcoming album. But when Sony Music Entertainment released a stream of the new Michael Jackson song, "Breaking News," the subsequent controversy (Billboard.biz, Nov. 8) over whether it really featured Jackson's vocals probably wasn't what the major had in mind. » Full Story

only subscribers can see the rest of the article...

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...db1d5b0c07ad508

thank you

Last edited:
Re: THIS IS IT?, anyone can get the full story?

^^ Now, I'm curious. Hopefully we'll get to read the rest of it.

Thanks

i wanna read it so bad!
some here must be a subscriber!

-Dal

no subscribers?

I found this with advanced search:

November 20, 2010
ED CHRISTMAN AND GAIL MITCHELL

Posting an online stream of a new song has long been a standard way of stoking public interest in a forthcoming album. But when Sony Music Entertainment released a stream of the new Michael Jackson song, "Breaking News," the subsequent controversy (Billboard.biz, Nov. 8) over whether it really featured Jackson's vocals probably wasn't what the major had in mind.

Still, most music merchants doubt the buzz will dent sales of "Michael," which is due Dec. 14 and expected to become one of the year's top-selling albums.

"Any publicity is good publicity," says Sue Bryan, GM of music and video at J&R Music World. "I heard about the controversy, but I think it will help sales and the album will do well."

At the same time, some merchants say they were taken aback by what they believed was the lackluster quality of the song, expressing concerns that it wasn't the best choice to inspire consumers to buy the album on street date.

"Breaking News" has already drawn a mixed reaction at radio. The song debuts this week on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Bubbling Under chart, which lists the top 25 titles that have yet to reach the 100-position Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs tally. It logged 1.1 million impressions on 52 R&B/hip-hop stations after just two days of airplay, according to Nielsen BDS. Among all stations monitored by BDS, "Breaking News" registered 302 plays on 177 stations, amounting to an audience of 2.6 million since its arrival.

But 94% of the song's two-day audience among Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs' reporting stations was logged Nov. 8, according to BDS, with 50 stations playing the song Nov. 8 and only four on Nov. 9. Among monitored stations of all formats, 152 stations played the song on Nov. 8 but only 40 did so the following day, BDS said.

Reports on TMZ.com about alleged Jackson family concerns that "Breaking News" featured the vocals of an imposter spread like wildfire in the blogosphere. However, in the days since "Breaking News" began streaming on Nov. 5, Sony Music has steadfastly insisted that the recording is authentic.

But the debate will likely become a moot point by Nov. 15, when Sony releases the first official single from the album, a duet with Akon titled "Hold My Hand." Sony provided Billboard with a preview of the track, which is noticeably stronger than "Breaking News" and features clearly identifiable vocals by Jackson. The track will be available at iTunes and other digital retailers.

Merchants hope "Hold My Hand" will provide a stronger introduction to "Michael," which will carry a $10.25 wholesale cost and a $13.98 list price and have an initial U.S. shipment of 900,000 units, according to retail sources. Sony is projecting first-week CD sales of 340,000 and digital album sales of 60,000. That projection is similar to debut-week sales of Jackson's album "This Is It," which sold 373,000 units in its first week and has sold 1.6 million units since its release in October 2009, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Sony hasn't yet released a track listing or producer credits for the album. Grammy Award-winning producer C. "Tricky" Stewart says he worked on two songs for "Michael": "Stay" and "Keep Your Head Up." Stewart describes "Stay" as a "midtempo, adult R&B, feel-good record" while "Keep" is more of a "classic Michael Jackson message song. It starts small, gets big and ends with a big choir and big drums—the Michael Jackson sound that everybody has come to know and love." ••••

Additional reporting by Gary Trust.
source: http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004126541

How can all these producers like Teddy Riley and C tricky Stewart work on these songs and not realize that it's not Michael Jackson? Baffles me. Even my mum and sister can tell immediately they're not Mj. But when I showed em Do You Know Where Your Children Are they said without doubt it was. Estate are either stupid, or think we are... And the producers are either stupid or just don't care. Money in their pocket to produce the record must be of high importance compared to MJ's legacy.

^ or....OMG OMG OMG the vocals are indeed REAL???

/snark

Hmm interesting...we shall see...

thanks

we won't hear "Stay" this time

How can all these producers like Teddy Riley and C tricky Stewart work on these songs and not realize that it's not Michael Jackson? Baffles me. Even my mum and sister can tell immediately they're not Mj. But when I showed em Do You Know Where Your Children Are they said without doubt it was. Estate are either stupid, or think we are... And the producers are either stupid or just don't care. Money in their pocket to produce the record must be of high importance compared to MJ's legacy.

This.

"Any publicity is good publicity," says Sue Bryan.

So incredibly not true.

Sony hasn't yet released a track listing

Really? I'm pretty sure they did...?

I think we've pretty much nailed this "fake" or "real" stuff into the ground. No matter what is said, nobody is going to change their minds. Some fans will still believe it's Michael and some fans will still believe it's not Michael.

Someone has yet to coherently explain to me, why they believe Sony would revert to an impersonator when they have a boatload of the real deal, from OTW to Invincible, sitting in the vault.

Until someone does, I will go with my gut feeling & hear...it is MJ.

Someone has yet to coherently explain to me, why they believe Sony would revert to an impersonator when they have a boatload of the real deal, from OTW to Invincible, sitting in the vault.

Because they paid for them without (a. listening to them) or (b. caring who was singing the song, as long as michael was involved to some capacity), that's why.

The producer has some control over those songs as well, which is why none of WILL I AM's stuff got put on. I believe Rodney is holding out for something better, which I can't blame him for.

I reckon this song "Stay" that the producers talking off is what we currently think is the leaked snippet "Carry On"

Because they paid for them without (a. listening to them) or (b. caring who was singing the song, as long as michael was involved to some capacity), that's why.

The producer has some control over those songs as well, which is why none of WILL I AM's stuff got put on. I believe Rodney is holding out for something better, which I can't blame him for.

so u think sony a big company will pay 250 million without listening to songs then i am sure u trust randy jackson more.i think company ceo must be some idiot.when u debate ,please go by facts not by twitter rants.

And they did not pay for OTW, Thriller and so forth, songs in the vault. Come up with an INTELLIGENT argument...otherwise, I am gonna move on.

Rodney isn't holding on to ISH because Michael Jackson retained control of ALL songs he recorded.

Last edited:
and they did not pay for otw, thriller and so forth, songs in the vault. Come up with an intelligent argument...otherwise, i am gonna move on.

Rodney isn't holding on to ish because michael jackson retained control of all songs he recorded.

orly?

And they did not pay for OTW, Thriller and so forth, songs in the vault. Come up with an INTELLIGENT argument...otherwise, I am gonna move on.

Rodney isn't holding on to ISH because Michael Jackson retained control of ALL songs he recorded.

Yeah, Right. Please MOVE ON, because I really wouldn't wanna a second responding to anything you DON'T KNOW.

Last edited:
so u think sony a big company will pay 250 million without listening to songs then i am sure u trust randy jackson more.i think company ceo must be some idiot.when u debate ,please go by facts not by twitter rants.

Who's debating?? lol...what do YOU think? By listening to them, I mean actually paying attention to the songs to see if they were actually Michael singing them. I'm sure SOMEONE listened to them. Was it the right person? Probably not.

Last edited:
Memefan;3089878 said:

Not true. For the Will I Am songs, Will has the composition and MJ controlled the vocals. Will's fee is either too high or he refuses to give up the composition. Whose to say similar arrangements don’t exist with other producers?

Regardless, Terry Riley said that there were less completed songs that were “current” than realized. There were many demos which include one verse and some early composition and likely more with much less.

If the Estate can successfully develop a method to "completing" these songs that the public will accept than they will have a large inventory for the current contract and future contracts. If not, they will have to continually be creative with repackaging.

The fear is if they take the roughest, patchwork demos and create an entire song from it, add vocals from other artists and successfully sell it as “Michael Jackson”. The production costs will be lower (Riley is likely working for a low rate) and the unknown vocalists command much less but since it is a Michael Jackson song it will still sell due to the fan base that may be willing to accept anything with Michael Jackson on it.

Just because you feel the songs aren't real, it doesn't make it a fact, nor does it mean anyone who believes the songs are real are less intelligent or aren't real fans. That's kind of the message some of you are illuminating with your constant badgering of the material.

Finally someone who really thinks before writting, You r so right!

Well said!!!
I agree

Agree!! Sure and Sony will put an impersonator on purpose so they can be open for comsumer fraud law suits. Yep- that's right - that's how corporations as profitable and huge as Sony make a profit. NOT!

Good one! Thanks for that.

Who's debating?? lol...what do YOU think? By listening to them, I mean actually paying attention to the songs to see if they were actually Michael singing them. I'm sure SOMEONE listened to them. Was it the right person? Probably not.

So even if our human ears deceive us, then how about forensic scientific evidence. Do you believe in science and fool proof evidence? Two separate independent forensic experts verified it was Michael Jackson. If you take this to court who would win? You the one that "feels, thinks" its MJ or verifiable, scientific evidence? It's like DNA- there is no disputing that.

Good one! Thanks for that.

So even if our human ears deceive us, then how about forensic scientific evidence. Do you believe in science and fool proof evidence? Two separate independent forensic experts verified it was Michael Jackson. If you take this to court who would win? You the one that "feels, thinks" its MJ or verifiable, scientific evidence? It's like DNA- there is no disputing that.

Speaking of which. Did you see that french MJ forum where a fan with a background in audio conducted his own test and published the results. 80% chance not MJ OR voice distorted enough to fail the test. Will hunt down link.

In no way do I mean to insult anyone. I just want to point out that there is a HUGE financial incentive for the Estate to be able to pull off engineering very rough songs.

As for the "no way Sony would pay" argument. They aren't just getting albums. They probably will be involved with the Cirque soundtrack, Bad dvd release, re-releases of Bad (maybe Invincible), This Is It and the upcoming Duet album. The "new" material only comprises a portion of the contract. They certainly wouldn't want the fraud BUT they did release material that NEEDED to be tested.

I reckon this song "Stay" that the producers talking off is what we currently think is the leaked snippet "Carry On"

I think so, because Carry On was supposed to be a song MJ and Barry Gibb were working on. This doesn't sound like it and has the lyrics "do you really wanna stay."

Just because you feel the songs aren't real, it doesn't make it a fact, nor does it mean anyone who believes the songs are real are less intelligent or aren't real fans. That's kind of the message some of you are illuminating with your constant badgering of the material.

:clapping::clapping:

Personally, I'm so sick of these fans (or not) constantly , perpetually, incessantly, pushing their believes in every threads related to the album.

Gaz made a thread specifically for them but YET they still persist bullying their agenda every chance they get.

Enough already.

I think so, because Carry On was supposed to be a song MJ and Barry Gibb were working on. This doesn't sound like it and has the lyrics "do you really wanna stay."

Cool yeah if you listen to both snippets I think he say's "stay" like three times so it's looking likely. I really love it, cannot wait to hear it in full :)

Back