'This Is It' is yet to prove a blockbuster

mjdove

Proud Member
The big test for the documentary on the late singer is expected to come Friday.

50137396.jpg

By Ben Fritz

October 29, 2009

Plenty of Michael Jackson fans turned out for "This Is It" on Wednesday, but Sony Pictures may have to wait until Friday to find out whether the movie is a "Thriller" or "Bad" at the box office.

The documentary, a gamble for Sony that was assembled from more than 100 hours of video footage and rushed to the big screen after the singer's death in June, sold $2.2 million worth of tickets domestically at late-night screenings Tuesday, the studio reported.

According to industry executives who have been monitoring box-office returns, "This Is It" was on track as of Wednesday evening to collect $10 million to $12 million by the end of the day. A Sony spokesman declined to comment.

Comparisons with other movies are difficult, given that only two major films have been released in recent history by studios on a Wednesday outside of summer or the holidays. "The Passion of the Christ," a phenomenon that benefited from group purchases by churches, grossed $26.6 million in February 2004, and "The Matrix Revolutions," the third movie in a blockbuster trilogy, collected $24.3 million on its opening Wednesday in November 2003.

Thus far, it's unclear whether "This Is It" will be a blockbuster. The movie's big test will come Friday. Attendance today is expected to be light because most hard-core Jackson fans will have seen it opening day. Saturday will also be slow because it's Halloween, historically a dismal day at the box office.

If word of mouth is strong and moviegoers beyond the most devoted Jackson fans are interested, that probably will be evident in healthy ticket sales Friday.

Industry executives estimate, based on early data, that the movie could bring in anywhere from $30 million at the low end to $60 million at the high end through Sunday. The studio spent $60 million to acquire the rights and probably has spent tens of millions more on marketing.

Ultimately, however, domestic ticket sales may not be that important. "This Is It" is expected to perform substantially better overseas, where it could be a major hit regardless of how it does in the U.S. and Canada.

Box-office figures from the 97 foreign countries where "This Is It" opened simultaneously are not yet available.

ben.fritz@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-jackson29-2009oct29,0,4572581.story

news home | top | world | intl | natl | op | pol | govt | business | tech | sci | entertain | sports | health | odd | sources | local
AP • CBS • MSNBC • USA TODAY • FOX News • New York Times Movies • Movies • Music • TV • Entertainment News Videos

Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

Email this Story

Oct 29, 2:42 PM (ET)

Google sponsored links
Obama Documentary on HBO - Get an inside look at Obama's road to victory. Watch the trailer.
www.hbobythepeople.com

Movies in Theaters Now - Try Bing's New Interactive Gallery of Current In-Theater Movies Today!
www.Bing.com/VisualSearch

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The King of Pop is No. 1 again.

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" has landed on top of the domestic box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas.

That gives the film documenting Jackson's rehearsals for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 million.

Distributor Sony said the $7.4 million domestic haul is the best ever for a movie on a Wednesday in October. "This Is It" was easily the No. 1 film domestically, coming in ahead of the $1.5 million gross for "Paranormal Activity," last weekend's top box-office earner.

Jackson died June 25, just before he was to begin a marathon run of comeback concerts in London. "This Is It" was built around more than 100 hours of behind-the-scenes footage shot between March and June as Jackson and his backup performers developed the numbers intended for his elaborate stage shows.

Sony said it expected strong results for the film this Friday and Sunday, though Saturday may leave a hole in the overall box office, falling on Halloween, when audiences typically are preoccupied with parties and trick-or-treating.

In a single day, "This Is It" climbed into the ranks of top-grossing music documentaries, just behind the $8.6 million domestic haul of "U2: Rattle and Hum."

By this weekend, "This Is It" is likely to shoot past such films as "Madonna: Truth or Dare" ($15 million) and "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" ($19.2 million) to become the No. 2 draw all-time on the music-documentary chart.

The No. 1 music documentary is "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert," which had a $31.1 million opening weekend last year and took in $65.3 million over its entire theatrical run.

Among the totals from other countries, "This Is It" brought in $1.9 million in Great Britain, $1.4 million France, $1.2 million in Japan and $1.1 million in Germany.

The film debuted in 99 countries Wednesday and expands to 10 more Thursday.

The film features Jackson doing all his biggest hits, including "Billie Jean,""Beat It,""Thriller,""Human Nature" and "Smooth Criminal."

I went last night it was the last show ended at 12:00 pm taking into consideration that it was a weekday and late why the movie was so empty.

I don't know how good it'll do friday.

I think yesterday was the best day it will ever get. I think this film is mostly for the fans.

I hope many non-fans will see it of course, but I think most fans will see it.

Only about 20 people were at the first showing of it in my cinema, the place was dead and it was at 5.40pm so it wasn't like it was really early or late! To be honest it doesn't bother me if it's a blockbuster or not, it would be cool if it was but to us, the fans, it is a blockbuster and I am content at the fact that I got to see it at all

I can't wait till the BR release!!

Give It To Me !!!! NOOOOW !!!

It's going to make a lot of money. It's only out for 2 weeks. It's getting great reviews. DVD sales will do well too.l

Avoid imdb. It's filled with posts and threads by haters telling me what a flop 'This is it' is. Grrr

If the DVD and BR release is before Christmas it will sell FANTASTIC!!

I really think it could be a top seller, but it has to come before christmas.

Uh, it had the highest grossing Wednesday ever. People already calling it a flop are out of their minds.

Uh, it had the highest grossing Wednesday ever. People already calling it a flop are out of their minds.

Exactly! It just typical of the media anyway, they are a joke! lol

How can they compare a documentary to a block buster movie that has had MONTHS and months of hype and advertising?

I just know this will be a huge success! Its only 2 days after and already the media want to make this fail! Their intentions are clear so ignore their sad existence, they will eat their words as per usual.

Only about 20 people were at the first showing of it in my cinema, the place was dead and it was at 5.40pm so it wasn't like it was really early or late! To be honest it doesn't bother me if it's a blockbuster or not, it would be cool if it was but to us, the fans, it is a blockbuster and I am content at the fact that I got to see it at all

That was pretty poor but most people in ireland go the 9-9:30 film, i went to the first showing in liffey valley at 4am and the place was packed but i will go to my local cinema again at the weekend and see how it's going there, i never reckoned it would be a blockbuster because it is a documentary and if it was about anyone else i would have no interest in going.

The LA Times is always negative about Michael. I would like for it to be a big hit, but if it isn't that's okay. I really loved the film and that's all that matters to me.

Back