This Is It Demolishes Australian Box Office!

CNB

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's This Is It has opened in first place at the Australian box office.

The music documentary, comprised of footage of the late King of Pop's rehearsals for his curtain call tour, dominates the chart with a $3.7 million haul.

Mao's Last Dancer holds its place at number two, while Couples Retreat slips down to three. The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, which marks the last big screen role for Heath Ledger, is a new entry at four. Horror sequel The Final Destination rounds out the top five.

Cameron Diaz's The Box, directed by Donnie Darko's Richard Kelly, debuts at number eight.

The box office top ten in full (figures in Australian dollars):

1. (-) This Is It - $3,701,314
2. (2) Mao's Last Dancer - $855,144
3. (1) Couples Retreat - $841,171
4. (-) The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus - $663,255
5. (3) The Final Destination - $561,646
6. (5) Julie & Julia - $517,388
7. (4) Saw VI - $507,608
8. (-) The Box - $506,692
9. (6) Astro Boy - $343,021
10. (7) All About Steve - $279,289

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a184745/this-is-it-tops-australian-box-office.html

That is AWESOMEEEEE its very rare in Australia for movies to not even hit 1 million and only This Is It did. I added up all the box office sales and for the week just passed, ONE in every TWO Australian's who went to the cinema watched This Is It. Elvis? Beatles? Pfft they are great but the king of ALL entertainment has been crowned.

MJ is really big in Australia, that's great to see. This Is It was also #1 in Canada for the weekend earning $1.9 million in the three day period.

WOW!! This is AMAZING!!!
More so when you consider Australia's TOTAL population is only around 20--22 MILLION.
~~ We LOVE Michael, in Australia~~
Dawn

I'm seeing it a few times this weekend for the first time! CAN'T WAIT!

Ha that's awesome! Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! :D

I'm really happy everyone is seeing it here. People in general here seem to be more... how do I put it.... respectful about MJ here than the area I'm from in the States. He's actually reguarded by more people here as a great musician and not just a punchline. It's really been nice to see.

Yay go Australia!
Im surprised how low numbers are in general though...never noticed.

I wonder how Heath Ledgers film would have gone if This Is It wasnt released...

no tabloid news/channels, no tabloid journalists like Diane DieMan, no lies here in Australia.
Amen..
MJ deserves the respect!

wait, maybe they're all going to see Orianthi and Daniel Celebre!!

:p :D
:yes:kinda :) well not really but they do get a well deserved reaction from people watching.I was at a screening last week where when Daniel came up someone in the cinema couldnt help himself and bursted out "woahah ozzie ozzie ozzie!:punk:"
but interesting the screenings I have been to are never full house...half house tops..nevertheless people are going and more and more non-fans people are going..we keep telling people to go as the music rocks so even if they a different opinion on MJ go for the music..go for the concert..and they go...and they walk out filled with questions and thoughts ...and grasping some more :angel:

Look at the Australian Weekend Box Office! TII hits #1 second week in a row... way ahead of xmas carol!
weekendof8nov.jpg

Back