'This Is It' Album Hits #1 on Billboard US and Europe

Bo G

Proud Member
Ah, Mike. If only...

Billboard: Michael Jackson Hits No. 1 On Billboard 200 With 'This Is It'

by Keith Caulfield, L.A.
November 04, 2009 12:00 EST

To the surprise of probably nobody, Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will debut atop the Billboard 200 albums chart released today (Nov. 4) with an eye-popping 373,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan -- the fifth-best sales week for an album in the U.S. this year.

The companion album to the musical documentary film of the same name is Jackson's sixth No. 1 on the tally and it arrives with his best sales frame for an album since 1995's "HIStory" started atop the Billboard 200 with 391,000 copies.

Jackson collected his first No. 1 with "Thriller" in 1983 and later notched toppers with "Bad," "Dangerous," "HIStory" and "Invincible." Earlier this year, Jackson also notched a No. 1 on the Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Pop Catalog Albums charts with the 2003 greatest hits set "Number Ones."

The "This Is It" film bowed with late-night showings on Tuesday, Oct. 27, before rolling out wide the following day. Through Monday, Nov. 2, the film had collected $36.9 million at the box office in the U.S. and Canada. It's already the second-highest grossing musical concert film in the U.S. and Canada behind "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" ($65.3 million).

- - - -

'This Is It' Debuts Atop Euro Chart

By Paul Sexton, London
'This Is It' Debuts Atop Euro Chart
November 05, 2009
Billboard.biz

Michael Jackson's "This Is It" (Epic/Sony Music Entertainment) debuts at No. 1 on Billboard's European Albums survey, as "Sexy Chick" (Gum/Positiva/Virgin/EMI) by David Guetta featuring Akon returns to the top of European Hot 100 Singles for the seventh week in total.

"This Is It" becomes the third Jackson album to top the pan-European listing since his death. It's new at No. 1 in France and Holland, No. 2 in Portugal, Denmark and Austria, No. 3 in the United Kingdom (on sales of 78,000), Spain and Denmark and No. 4 in Germany. But it's down 2-5 in Denmark, 2-7 in France and 4-10 in Portugal.

This Is It" becomes the third Jackson album to top the pan-European listing since his death. It's new at No. 1 in France and Holland, No. 2 in Portugal, Denmark and Austria, No. 3 in the United Kingdom (on sales of 78,000), Spain and Denmark and No. 4 in Germany. But it's down 2-5 in Denmark, 2-7 in France and 4-10 in Portugal.

How can it have so many different places in Denmark? - Or how do you read it?

This Is It" becomes the third Jackson album to top the pan-European listing since his death. It's new at No. 1 in France and Holland, No. 2 in Portugal, Denmark and Austria, No. 3 in the United Kingdom (on sales of 78,000), Spain and Denmark and No. 4 in Germany. But it's down 2-5 in Denmark, 2-7 in France and 4-10 in Portugal.

How can it have so many different places in Denmark? - Or how do you read it?

Yeah. Looks like an error.

Michael Jackson's "This Is It" (Epic/Sony Music Entertainment) debuts at No. 1 on Billboard's European Albums survey, as "Sexy Chick" (Gum/Positiva/Virgin/EMI) by David Guetta featuring Akon returns to the top of European Hot 100 Singles for the seventh week in total.

"This Is It" becomes the third Jackson album to top the pan-European listing since his death. It's new at No. 1 in France and Holland, No. 2 in Portugal, Denmark and Austria, No. 3 in the United Kingdom (on sales of 78,000), Spain and Denmark and No. 4 in Germany. But it's down 2-5 in Denmark, 2-7 in France and 4-10 in Portugal.

Makes noo sense at all :lol:

HMV Canada: "This Is It" by Michael Jackson tops CD sales list
(CP) – 1 hour ago

TORONTO — The following is HMV Canada's top 10 CDs based on national sales for the week ending Nov. 7.

CDs
1 This Is It - Michael Jackson
2 Play On - Carrie Underwood
3 Crazy Love - Michael Buble
4 World Painted Blood - Slayer
5 Greatest Hits - Foo Fighters
6 Glee: The Music, Volume 1 - Various Artists
7 Raditude - Weezer
8 Soulbook - Rod Stewart
9 Sainthood - Tegan and Sara
10 Fearless (Platinum Edition) - Taylor Swift

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ihOXil09mlf88hG-DZ_W6csMgMtQ

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I bought the CD and LOVE it. Carry it with me in my purse from the house to the vehicle, so I'm basically listening to it almost everywhere. *a bit obsessive I guess* :lol:

This is It is #1 in Sweden as well.
It has gone Gold there!

Only #11 here in Finland. :( But maybe that's because Finnish people are wise enough not to buy the same songs again and again... :smilerolleyes:

Great news but not too surprising. I reckon had this been an album with previously unreleased material it would have sold twice as much.

on billboard 200 this is it is still number one in usa

Billboard doesn't update their website's chart information for last week's sales figures until tomorrow or Thursday. THIS IS IT was the second biggest seller in the US last week, it's second week of release.

Back