They Dont Care About Us: why are there two videos? and why brazil?

MJNTJ

Proud Member
I was always curious about how and why Michael did what he did with his videography.

I know it was something very important to him.
I would like to know the reason why there are two official videos of the same song? And why Brazil? Michael take these decisions?

20Jul09_MJ_900px.jpg

He's not the first to do that. I remember Opportunities by Pet Shop Boys had 3 different videos and George Harrison had 2 videos for I Got My Mind Set On You. Not exactly the same thing but Prince filmed different videos for all of the remixes for Gett Off.

He's not the first to do that. I remember Opportunities by Pet Shop Boys had 3 different videos and George Harrison had 2 videos for I Got My Mind Set On You. Not exactly the same thing but Prince filmed different videos for all of the remixes for Gett Off.
What do I care about Pet Shop Boys and George Harrison(?. lol
I'm interested in knowing about the decisions made for the video clip They Don't Care About Us, please!

What do I care about Pet Shop Boys and George Harrison(?. lol
I'm interested in knowing about the decisions made for the video clip They Don't Care About Us, please!
You don't have to care about them. Mike didn't live in a bubble. Mike (or Spike Lee) could have gotten the idea from elsewhere to film more than 1 video. Multi-video songs weren't that unusual. I just named those 3. Mike was a Beatles fan, and George's song was a big hit (in the USA) at the time. Pet Shop Boys were popular too. Mike also got ideas for some of his songs from other songs and his videos from old Hollywood musicals.

Artists are known to create 2 different videos sometimes but Michael filming in Brazil was questionable for me as well, especially with the songs concept but he might've wanted something that was a little easier on the eyes without the graphic images

I personally prefer the prison version of the video, because it seems to match the themes and the actual lyrics better. While the environment of Brazil looks good, it also seems fairly generic when paired with that particular song.

Michael filmed in Brazil on land where slaves were once whipped. The video is about reclamation, the prison version is about racism and American corruption within the system hence it was banned

And why Brazil?
Michael filming in Brazil was questionable for me as well
In Brazil, there are favelas, which are equivalent to US ghettos.

In that way, Michael Jackson wanted to show the social injustices experienced by oppressed, marginalized, and poor people living in Brazilian favelas.
Apparently, artists do that in order to reach a wider audience, to target different markets, and so on.

This strategy leads in turn to more profits and higher chart positions for these artists.

I love both but Brazil wins it for me. Both videos feature people who are outcasts from society so both videos have a strong link to the lyrics and theme of the song. Brazil is visually fabulous, imo, and there's a visible connection between Michael and the people of the favela. Yes, he's rich and successful and famous but I still think I can see a response from the people to Michael which is really moving. I like this article about the Brazil video. No idea if the improvements in the area have been sustained but it's a lovely story.

Michael Jackson Remains A Global Phenomenon​

By Billboard staff, 2009

"BRAZIL
Michael Jackson went from being Gary, Ind.’s most talented kid to one of the most recognizable human beings on the planet. And while his worldwide album sales were astounding, that wasn’t the sole reason for his fame. his ascendancy went far beyond the cash register—he inspired dance moves, dictated fashion trends and raised awareness for social causes around the globe.

Less than a day after Michael Jackson's death, the mayor of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, announced that the city would erect a statue of the singer in Dona Marta, a favela that was once notorious for drug dealing and is now a model for social development. The change was spurred partly by Jackson's 1996 visit to film the video for "They Don't Care About Us."

Jackson shot two videos for "They Don't Care About Us," the fourth single from "HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I": one in a prison and another in Dona Marta and Salvador da Bahia, a colonial Brazilian city known for its Afro-Brazilian culture and music.

When Jackson came to Brazil to shoot the video, directed by Spike Lee, Rio's local government became concerned that the singer would show the world an unflattering picture of poverty. At the time, Brazilians, like people the world over, saw Jackson as an idol. He'd been to the country twice before, once with the Jackson 5 in the '70s and again in 1993, when he played two concerts in São Paulo to 100,000 people each night.

At the time, the concert promoter Dodi Sirena recalls a "sensitive" artist who asked for an amusement park to be reserved for his use, then invited children from the poorest public schools. "He displayed great concern for everything in the country, with poverty, with street children," Sirena says.

In that context, Jackson's choice of locale for his video made sense. "The video is about the people no one cares about," says Claudia Silva, press liaison for Rio's office of tourism.

When Jackson shot the video in Rio, Silva was a journalist for the daily newspaper O Globo, but Lee and his staff had banned journalists from the shoot because Dona Marta drug dealers didn't want the attention. But Silva found a family that let her spend the night at their home and saw the favela residents washing the streets to prepare for Jackson's arrival. "The people were so proud," Silva says. "That was the best thing for me. People got up early to clean the area, they prepared for him, they took out the trash."

Jackson arrived by helicopter but walked the streets of Dona Marta shaking hands and distributing candy. "People were very surprised in the end, because they were expecting an extraterrestrial guy," Silva says. "And he was—it sounds strange to say this—a normal guy."

Jackson shot scenes in Salvador, alongside throngs of people, accompanied by the Afro-Brazilian cultural group Olodum. In the video, he can be seen dancing to the beat of hundreds of Olodum's drummers and with cheering fans who reach out to touch him—and at one point burst through security and push him to the floor.

"This process to make Dona Marta better started with Michael Jackson," Silva says. "Now it's a safe favela. There are no drug dealers anymore, and there's a massive social project. But all the attention started with Michael Jackson."

Leila Cobo

Back