'There must be more to life' discussion

michaeljojacksonfan

Proud Member
This song (even if its a demo) is incredible. Was it ever finished? And if not do you think there is a chance it can be?

I believe it could still be a huge hit today if released, i mean a duet with two of the biggest stars in music ever. EVERYBODY would pay attention to it.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_e8t5B2H1c

Last edited:
I know the solo version by Freddie Mercury was included on one of the Queen album.
This demo by MJ is simply incredible, you can feel all the emotions in Michaels voice. I've read somewhere (FTR?), that's the duet version is fan made. It still sounds fantastic.

Yeah it is class, i've only ever listened to it a couple of time when it was first put up on youtube but since then i always find myself singing it, i reckon they could bring out an album of duets, they have Lenny Kravitz song aswell and i know there are others i just can't think right now.

Freddie's version was on his solo album - Mr. Bad Guy. :)
Oh, sorry ;) I am not a fan, but still - he's one of the greatest:)
Anyway, in For The Record I found MJ wrote some tiny piece of lyrics, but he isn't credited on Mercury's album, is he? Or did they from FTR invented this info?;)

Mike and Freddy duets:

State of Shock was written by Randy Hansen and Michael Jackson for his record-breaking 1982 album Thriller, intended as duet with Freddie Mercury. However, as it was not finished in time, it was to be included on The Jacksons' album Victory two years later. Mercury's part was later taken over by Mick Jagger. It was worked on from 1981-83, and a 4:44 demo leaked on July 7th 2002.

There Must Be More to Life Than This (1981-3), written by Mercury, was first considered to be included on Queen 1982 album Hot Space, and two years later on follow-up The Works. In 1983 Jackson sang the song supported by Mercury played the piano, intended for The Jacksons' 1984 LP Victory. As this was also dropped, Mercury went on recording his own version and released it later on solo album Mr. Bad Guy (3:00) in 1985. Jackson's aforementioned 1983 solo demo version, 2:31 in length, was leaked on July 7th 2002. It is not known if they sang the song together; any "leaked" versions online simply merge their voices together from the two completely different recordings.

Victory, the only song they co-wrote, was first considered to be included on Queen's 1982 album Hot Space, then scheduled for The Jacksons' LP of the same name two years later (there is no title track on the album, so its name seemed to remain). The song was not completed early enough, so was eventually dropped. Many years later Queen's remaining members (Brian May and Roger Taylor) worked again on the track, adding some backing vocals, hoping to release it as part of an upcoming Queen box set. This did not materialise due to copyright issues.

May said to Q Magazine in 1988 that all three songs were given away by his mother to two of Michael's fans after contacting her.

Great song by Freddie.
I think the duet is fanmade, as The_Lost_Child said.

I absolutely adore this song! I love Michael (duh! lol) and I love Freddie Mercury! :wub:

I think MJ and Freddie are two of the greatest male vocalists ever. This song would have been a hit if it was released. Hope it is eventually someday.....not just this one...all 3

Absolutely love this version....Both versions...I agree Michael and Freddie are the greatest vocalists, ever, imo...

Back