The Weekend Daily News Sep 11 - 13

mariemarie

Guests
Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” Trailer to Premiere During VMAs

29776419-29776424-slarge.jpg

The trailer for the upcoming Michael Jackson concert rehearsal film This Is It will debut during the MTV Video Music Awards, airing live this Sunday, September 13th from New York’s Radio City Music Hall. The announcement of the trailer comes just a day after MTV revealed that Janet Jackson will open the VMAs with a tribute to her brother Michael, ensuring that the awards show will also double as a celebration to the King of Pop’s legacy.

As Rolling Stone previously reported, This Is It will come to movie theaters around the globe on October 28th. The film will be culled from hundreds of hours of footage featuring Jackson rehearsing for his planned 50-concert run at London’s O2 Arena. Kenny Ortega, who was serving as director of the This Is It concerts, will also helm the This Is It movie. The film will have a limited run of two weeks in theaters before going to DVD in a multitude of formats by year’s end. According to reports, the film will also feature a new Jackson song.

Michael Jackson: A Look Back at King of Pop’s Life and Career
For those who won’t be watching the VMAs because it’s the first Sunday of the NFL season and the True Blood finale is on, the trailer will also screen before the animated film Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs starting September 18th. (Or, you can head to the This Is It site, which will simultaneously post the trailer online when it debuts on the VMAs.) Tickets for the two-week-only theatrical engagement for This Is It go on sale on September 27th.

Footage of Jackson performing “They Don’t Care About Us” during “This Is It” rehearsals at Los Angeles’ Staples Center emerged in the days after Jackson’s death on June 25th. A handful of photos from the rehearsals also were released. For more on This Is It, check out Rolling Stone’s coverage below:

Michael Jackson Photos From “This Is It!” Rehearsals Emerge
Jackson’s “This Is It” Film Secures Two Week Theatrical Run
Michael Jackson Rehearsal Footage Shows Star Energetically Dancing

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...s-this-is-it-trailer-to-premiere-during-vmas/

Christian Audigier Reveals Michael Jackson’s Designs

The late, beloved Michael Jackson is still in the limelight and bringing home the paper, and will no doubt continue to do so for years to come.
Christian-Audigier-Michael-Jackson.png

From the re-issues of his hit albums, to the plan to name a New York City subway after him, to the countless memorabilia auctions and tributes.​
Before he passed away, Michael Jackson and renowned celebrity designer Christian Audigier, were planning to launch a clothing line together.

http://www.widgetbox.com/network/fa...eveals-michael-jacksone28099s-designs/1752807

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1971 - The animated "The Jackson Five" TV series debuted on ABC.

1992 - L.A. Gear filed a suit against Michael Jackson for breach of contract and fraud over a prior endorsement deal.

1993 - Michael Jackson's "Will You Be There" hit #7 in the U.S. It was the first release from Jackson's MJJ label.

1995 - Janet Jackson's "Runaway" made history by becoming the first single by a woman to make its debut in the top 10 of Billboard's Hot 100.

Michael+Jackson++WILL+YOU+BE+THERE.jpg

Interview: Jason Derulo

Jason Derulo is digging L.A.

6152480_jasonderulohome_240.jpg

This is where it's at, man! It's a good change from Miami. I don't know if it's a great change yet though. Miami's got the most beautiful women in the world," he laughs with a smile.

Jason's swagger translates everywhere though. His super hot first single, "Whatcha Say" [Warner Bros.], has a hook that could set off absolutely any dance floor. However, the song's got a deep story behind it as well. That's the best part of Jason's music—he mixes infectious pop delivery with genuine R&B lyrical substance. Another track, "Strobe Light," shines with the same unique spark.

Jason sat down with ARTISTdirect.com to discuss his forthcoming debut album, songwriting, his upcoming MTV movie and much more in this exclusive interview. Jason also shared some exclusive photos from his latest video shoot below as well.

What's your process typically like?

Growing up, I listened to a lot of different kinds of music. It's my thing to go into a record store and pick up anything that I've never heard before. I'll pick up a random CD and listen to it—not for inspiration, but for education. I have a lot of influences, and they all really come through in my music. I try to reinvent myself on every track because nowadays people put CDs together where every song is simply a watered-down version of their single. I definitely didn't want to be like that. I wanted to bring something new to the table. I wanted to make an album that takes you on a journey.

Is their a journey behind "Whatcha Say?"

I really try to tell stories. When we were working on that song, my brother hit me up. He was like, "I cheated on my girl, and she just found out today. She dumped me, but I know if she gave me one more shot I could really be the man that she needs me to be." I was like, "So fucking tell her that shit! Tell her just like you told me and she might give you another shot." I thought it was pretty interesting, so that day I wrote a song about the situation. Now they're engaged and they have a beautiful marriage together. Art should mirror real life. I think that's why people connect to what I say because it's so real.

When you can mirror real life and give people an escape at the same time, that's when you're really doing your job as an artist.

Yeah, you're right about that. People want to escape and feel like things can be okay. It's kind of like a fairy tale.

Well, all art is storytelling. People want to go some place different but with a familiarity.

It's true. You need both sides of it.

What's up with "Strobe Light?"

"Strobe Light" is going to be in this MTV movie that I'm in called Turn the Beat Around. It comes out in 2010. "Strobe Light" defines me in terms of direction. I definitely don't want people to think that I'm your typical R&B artist. I really make music for the masses and not for just one particular tight-knit audience. "Strobe Light" is about a girl who is either off or on. At one moment she's acting like she's digging me, and the next moment, she's trying to play me, so I don't know what to think. She's just like a strobe light, flickering off and on.

Where do these stories come from? What inspires them?

Watching movies is one of my pastimes. I studied musical theater for a long time, and that may be one of the things that helped me out a lot. Acting and singing at the same time was a big help. In musical theater, you have to explain the story in songs. Maybe that's where some of my influences come from.

Well, the best way to create is to draw from influences that you're a fan of first and foremost.

Absolutely, man! If you don't get the "chill factor" from your own music, then other people won't. To know what that feels like you have to get that feeling from somewhere else. When I listen to a Michael Jackson song, I think, "Wow, this is amazing." I want to feel the same way about my music. If I don't feel the same thing, then I'm moving onto the next song.

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/interview-jason-derulo/6152480

Daniel Mays reveals 80s experience

Daniel Mays has revealed he was busy dancing to Michael Jackson in the 1980s, rather than getting involved in football violence like his character in new movie The Firm.

16827.jpg

The 31-year-old Plus One star - who plays Millwall hooligan Yeti in the drama - was too young to be involved in hooliganism and spent most of the decade listening to the King of Pop.

"I was locked in my bedroom doing Michael Jackson dancing," he laughed at the celebrity screening of the film.

He also said the violence wasn't the only aspect of the film, and the 80s theme was just as prevalent.

"The violence is just one aspect of this movie - it's a really nostalgic trip back to the 80s," said Daniel. "You've got a fantastic soundtrack, there's a lot of colourful tracksuits on show - I didn't have to wear any of that, I was quite pleased!"

But Daniel admitted the recent violence at a match between West Ham United and Millwall - whose fans are depicted in the movie - wasn't good timing for the film's release.

"I was shocked, no-one really wants to see those type of scenes in modern day football and rightly so - they've got no place in today's society - but it's a sad state of affairs to see that and it is bad timing in the way our film is being released," he said.

:: The Firm is released in UK cinemas on September 18.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5i-p_HyZ_sTyaRm9vBWD3N7pcW93g

Last edited:
thankx 4 the news :yes:

Now i gotta watch the commercials of the vma's too?!?!?!
but of course I will for Michael. I'm excited/sad/anxious to see the trailer

Smokey Robinson Takes Brooklyn

Plus a pickle-making workshop, superstar authors crowd the Brooklyn Book Fest, and more.

smokey-robinson.jpg

CRUISIN’: He’s still releasing albums (latest: “Time Flies When You’re Having Fun), still rocking the crewneck-and-gold-chains combos, and still one of Motown’s greatest living legends. Smokey Robinson plays a free A&E-sponsored concert in Cadman Plaza to raise awareness for addiction non-profit The Recovery Project. Saturday, 11:15AM.

FULLY BOOKED: From the lofty and literary (Jonathan Lethem, Mary Gaitskill) to the proudly pop (Giulia “I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti” Melucci), there’ll be no shortage of authors (140+) participating (in talks, panels, appearances, you name it) in Brooklyn Heights as part of the Brooklyn Book Festival on Sunday, 10AM-6PM.

ONE GLOVE: There are Michael Jackson tributes, and there are Michael Jackson tributes with soul. Expect plenty of the latter as the Harlem Gospel Choir blows the roof off of B.B. King’s with their musical King of Pop memorial on Sunday at 8PM.

FINE BRINE: Join Jon Orren, the man behind the addictive, sold-everywhere-you-turn Wheelhouse Pickles, will lead you in a pickle-making workshop followed by a “repast of pickle-paired food, wine and spirits.” Pickle Making 101 hits the Astor Center on Sunday, 12-4PM.

GREAT WHITE: Michael McKean, star of the upcoming show “Superior Donuts,” hosts this year’s installment of Broadway on Broadway. The stage-season kickoff stretches from 43rd to 47th Streets, and features performances from current Broadway fare (like “Rock of Ages” and “West Side Story”) and shows coming soon (like “Bye Bye Birdie” and “Memphis”). Sunday, 11:30AM.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/around-town/events/912-13-Smokey-Robinson-Takes-Brooklyn--59044297.html

is it just me...or did he look like a COMPLETELY different person in the this is it pictures?? i mean his face looked so different since his press conference in may...

posted this on the "this is it" forum and Im gonna post it here too coz its simply amazing
its anther "this is it" poster

1165.jpg

I love this gif. Can't wait to see the longer version/more of what he was doing during the VMAs now.
tii_03.gif

Michael Jackson VMA Tribute Will Include Top Choreographers

Since he won his first Moonmen at the inaugural MTV Video Music Awards in 1984, Michael Jackson has graced MTV's biggest stage time and time again with his eye-poppingly inventive dance moves — kicks, spins and moonwalks that continue to influence the world of contemporary dance. Though MJ's gone, the music industry's biggest choreographers have not forgotten the King of Pop's impact on their craft.
That's why some of the hottest names in choreography from the last 15 years will be joining the tribute to Michael Jackson that will kick off the VMAs on Sunday.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Michael Jackson: A Life In Photos
spacer.gif

The creative director for the tribute is Gil Duldulao. Joining him as dancers will be choreographers Dave Scott, Cris Judd, Brian Friedman, Wade Robson, Tyce Diorio, Travis Payne, Jeri Slaughter, Laurie Ann Gibson, Mia Michaels and Tina Landon.
Some of these people you may have heard of before, but you've most definitely seen the way they've made the feet move of the biggest names in music: Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Usher, Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez and Lady Gaga — they've all worked alongside these choreographers.
And these choreographers have all been heavily influenced by MJ over the years — they've even contributed moves to the King of Pop's own routines. The VMA tribute gives these talented men and women a chance to honor Jackson's body of work, to connect past generations of dancers to future ones and, of course, to bring some high-energy toe-tapping to the 2009 show.
The list of their career collaborators is a long and impressively dizzying one. Duldulao is Janet's close creative partner who's also come up with moves for Aguilera, Spears and Lopez. Today's pop-culture universe has opened up vast new opportunities on the big and small screen, a development Scott has taken full advantage of with his work on movies like "Stomp the Yard" and Fox's "So You Think You Can Dance." Although probably best known as J. Lo's onetime hubby, Judd is a pop force in his own right, having performed with 'NSYNC and Celine Dion.
Who doesn't remember Christopher Walken's turn in Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" video? Well, if you dug it — and how could you not? — you're already a fan of Friedman, as he was Walken's double for the shoot. He's also boogied with Prince, Spears and 'NSYNC. You want Grammy nominations? Emmy wins? Look to Robson, a vet of "SYTYCD" who's also worked with Spears and 'NSNYC. Another "SYTYCD" contributor — a guest judge, in fact — is Diorio. He's also found time to work with Paula Abdul and J. Lo.
Payne knows MJ's style well, and he's partly responsible for it: The guy created some of the choreography for the pop star's HIStory tour in the '90s. Gibson has jammed with Lady Gaga, Danity Kane and Jordin Sparks, while Michaels has danced with the likes of Madonna, Prince and Celine Dion. Landon's impressive credits include work with Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin and Abdul. And Slaughter is just plain ridiculous: Aguilera, J. Lo, Mariah Carey, Spice Girls, Leona Lewis, Cher and more.
Check it all out on Sunday at 9 p.m. when the VMAs get an unforgettable jolt from this all-star Michael Jackson tribute.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1621325/20090911/jackson_michael.jhtml

is it just me...or did he look like a COMPLETELY different person in the this is it pictures?? i mean his face looked so different since his press conference in may...
no, there's something 'different' about him in the TII pics to me too, and at the press conference.

no, there's something 'different' about him in the TII pics to me too, and at the press conference.
Rumors went Michael had some plastic surgery done to look 'at his best' for the concerts. That could explain the difference?

Rumors went Michael had some plastic surgery done to look 'at his best' for the concerts. That could explain the difference?
:scratch:I guessssssssssssss
he was acting kinda 'different' too

not that shy, gentle, genuinely humble, tender, compassionate sweet, Michaelness he ususally has ... seemed a little ... i dunno ... rough around the edges?

and he got out of the van and walked into the area like he hadn't been dancing in YEARS :giggle:

thanks for the news; however, how come the news posting is lacking here? Usually there would be a great amount news reports but now its like rarely any. it's intersting because I do come across some on yahoo but not sure how to search for others. I guess I could also post what I come across.

thanks for the news; however, how come the news posting is lacking here? Usually there would be a great amount news reports but now its like rarely any. it's intersting because I do come across some on yahoo but not sure how to search for others. I guess I could also post what I come across.

Please do post. These daily threads are open each and every day so that we can have, not the breaking stories in here, but all the other tidbits. There is SO much stuff that is written about Michael everyday, so please do share if you find something.

Although, no trash, garbage lies in these threads. You know the deal :)

How long is VMA's...is it really 5 hours...I Know it starts at 9:00pm but it says that it ends at 2:00am......Is that right?

By the way, yall....I went to a wine vineyard yesterday. The owner threw herself a birthday party and brought out the wine and we partied all afternoon under a beautiful sun. And guess what she did? She brought out a MJ impersonator....his name was T something. He was asian and he came with an entire dance group with him and the dude was great from the toe stands to the moonwalk. He was simply amazing. I took a picture with him. And at the end, his dancers came to get some of us out of the crowd and they picked me and we went up there and the impersonator had us get in a circle while he lipsynched to Heal The World. And that is when I broke down on my way to my seat. Tears just gushed out of my eyes. It was so beautiful, yall. Everybody at that party...a bunch of rich people...loved Michael. And afterwards, a bunch of us went over to Neverland and took pictures at the gate....the birthday lady's vineyard was only a mile from Neverland. I had one of my best friends from Louisiana with me and she is also a huge fan and she got the treat of a lifetime. It was a great day. You could just feel the love in that community for Michael.

^ aw that was a really nice treat for you

I was just thinking about MJ seeming a little "rough around the edges" for the TII p.c. and now that I see the trailer, I can see him revamping his persona a bit ... no maybe that's it ... maybe he wanted to 'lose' a little of that 'sweet-shy-Michaelness' of old

just a thought

WTF its people like you who start all these rumours!
No it's not..... I would be the last one to start such a rumour...

It was published on various websites (probably most tabloid but well....)

For example:
http://news.makemeheal.com/michael-jackson-plastic-surgery/728

Michael does look a bit different (younger, more youthful on the pictures and videos from the rehearsals). I don't say it was surgery or whatever.... It could just be fillers, botox whatever else celebrities choose to do these days. All celebrities do nowadays, so why would it be a big deal if Michael did as well?

I would do myself if I'd make a huge comeback and wanted to look my best....

Back