The Time Has Come Again

DuranDuran

Proud Member
2zefcqa.jpg

Who first had the idea -- Tina Turner or the Time -- to use the 50th annual Grammy Awards to launch a comeback?

Well, the Time's reunion was batted around last fall. "There was a conference call," recalled keyboardist Monte Moir. Then bandmate Jimmy Jam mentioned the idea to the CEO of the Recording Academy, which stages the Grammys.

Before you could say "What time is it?" the seven original members reunited Feb. 10 after 18 years apart to perform with Rihanna on the Grammys. That brought a call from a Las Vegas promoter and, on Tuesday, the Time will begin a three-week engagement at the Flamingo Hotel.

While the comeback isn't as high-profile as Turner's fall arena tour after an eight-year retirement, it is heartening for fans of one of the tightest, funkiest and most fun R&B bands of the 1980s.

"We're getting along great," drummer Jellybean Johnson said last week while shopping for cymbals at the Guitar Center in Hollywood. "These guys are my brothers."

Why a reunion now?

"It's like Terry [Lewis] is telling all the interviewers: 'It's just time,'" said Johnson, who spent the past three weeks rehearsing in Los Angeles, where the other members live; only Johnson and Moir still live in the Twin Cities.

The project is being spearheaded by Lewis -- the group's bassist, Jam's partner in the Grammy-winning Flyte Tyme production team and "the consummate businessman," said Johnson. Lewis and frontman Morris Day cut the deal with the Flamingo.

The Time is actually the replacement for this 15-show engagement at a 700-seat showroom. Toni Braxton has been the longtime attraction there, but became ill.

The group is getting a " handsome" fee, Johnson said -- perhaps its biggest payday ever.

This isn't just a dash for reunion cash. The Time is about three-fourths finished with a new album that could be available in the fall. One or two new numbers might sneak into the group's 90-minute Vegas set.

"It's certainly in the same vein," Moir said. "We didn't want to try anything new or hip-hop-ish. We're sticking to our roots."

But as Johnson points out, "This is not a normal band."

He was referring to three issues: There are now two versions of the Time; the original members have not always gotten along, and all of them have other musical obligations.

From the get-go, the Time has been a rocky proposition. In 1980 Prince, then a budding star, decided to give Flyte Tyme, a Minneapolis R&B band, a makeover. He made drummer Day the lead singer and wrote a bunch of songs for the band. The renamed Time had a series of R&B hits ("Cool," "777-9311," "The Walk"). The group toured with Prince for two successful years -- before "Purple Rain."

Then Prince booted Jam and Lewis from the band when a producing job caused them to miss a gig. Although it scored more hits, including "Jungle Love," the revamped group imploded after appearing in "Purple Rain."

The original members reunited in 1990 to appear in Prince's movie "Graffiti Bridge" and record the album "Pandemonium" before quickly disbanding again. Jam and Lewis -- by then top-flight producers -- and guitarist Jesse Johnson refused to tour with the group.

Day put together a new touring act six years later. Of the other original members, only Moir and Jellybean Johnson joined him. That group, billed as Morris Day and the Time, has gigs booked through at least August -- including an Aug. 15 show at the Minnesota Zoo and one this weekend in Oklahoma.

Balancing the two lineups is "a problem," Johnson said, "but we're not looking at it like that." He sounded confident that the situation will sort itself out.

Similarly, the often-strident relationships among the original members have mellowed.

"Everybody's in a good place," Johnson said. "Of course, we're all 50 years old -- you should be at this point."

After three weeks together in Los Angeles, Moir said the band "has the potential to be a lot healthier than it's ever been. Everybody's in a different place these days. We've raised kids and gotten past some of the silliness that maybe went on in the earlier days."

Of course, this long-awaited comeback could be complicated by the Purple One. He owns the rights to the band's name.

"We've talked to him," Moir said. "He's given us his blessing to do what we've got to do."

That means an album and possibly more touring in the fall. Well, maybe.

Said Johnson: "It's like Morris said: 'It's a 12-step approach. One day at a time.'"

By Jon Bream
Source: Star Tribune -- June 21, 2008

somebody needs money and i can't see them cashing in. this is 15-20 years too late.they are a fun act live,but this ain't 1980's anymore.

somebody needs money and i can't see them cashing in. this is 15-20 years too late.they are a fun act live,but this ain't 1980's anymore.
Tell that to The Police, Genesis, Van Halen with David Lee Roth, New Kids On The Block, Duran Duran, Morrissey, Cyndi Lauper, etc. New Edition are planning to film a documentary for their 25th anniversary, which is this year. The Beastie Boys are recording a new album as well as Whitney Houston. Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince are in discussions for a tour and maybe an album. There's kids who are dressing new wave and late 80s hip hop (Gumby cuts, polka dots, stonewash jeans). 1980s music is put into video games like Grand Theft Auto. There's a Guitar Hero featuring Aerosmith. They're using MJs 80s music in commercials and TV shows. Madonna has this big deal with Live Nation. So the 80s aren't over.

Last edited:
Tell that to The Police, Genesis, Van Halen with David Lee Roth, New Kids On The Block, Duran Duran, Morrissey, Cyndi Lauper, etc. New Edition are planning to film a documentary for their 25th anniversary, which is this year. The Beastie Boys are recording a new album as well as Whitney Houston. Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince are in discussions for a tour and maybe an album. There's kids who are dressing new wave and late 80s hip hop (Gumby cuts, polka dots, stonewash jeans). 1980s music is put into video games like Grand Theft Auto. There's a Guitar Hero featuring Aerosmith. They're using MJs 80s music in commercials and TV shows. Madonna has this big deal with Live Nation. So the 80s aren't over.
New Edition never got old to me and they still are the only act from the 80's that could still drop the thing and blow up. they an't got all the stuff out of there system.

the Police thing was a mess.

Genesis it's alright but not much there.

van Halen if Eddie wasn't tripping and have done this back in 96 then this would have been cool.

the rest of the folks need cash because it is about the money,

folks want things from those time periods but not necessary the acts to blow up again. they want what worked but not the actual act per se.

I don't think the Beastie Boys, Will & Jeff, Madonna, Duran Duran, The Police, or Genesis need money. Just like The Eagles and The Stones don't need money but yet continue to tour.

Show Review
Party Time
By Caroline Fontein

“Are you all ready to get it up?” asks Morris Day as his band, Morris Day and the Original Time, sings their first song of the night, “Get It Up,” in their show at the Flamingo. Their explosive performance generates the same excitement it did when they first broke onto the music scene in the early 1980s.

The Minneapolis-based group first found success with the albums "The Time" and "What Time Is It?" that featured hits like "Get It Up," "Girl," "777-9311" and "Gigolos Get Lonely Too."

After several years on hiatus, the band came together again to create the album "Pandemonium," released in 1990. The album sold over a million copies and featured the No. 1 hit "Jerk Out." Years later, the original band members united to perform for the 50th Annual Grammy Awards to an audience of over 40 million people worldwide.

The audience response was so overwhelming that the band knew when the timing was right they would return to the stage for fans to once again get funky to some of the greatest dance music of all time.

After an 18-year hiatus Morris Day and the Original Time are picking up right where they left off when they get the party started almost every night of the week with their show at the Flamingo. Legendary funk master Day, along with his original band members, valet Jerome Banton, drummer Jellybean Johnson, bass player Terry Lewis, guitarist Jesse Johnson and keyboard artists Jimmy Jam and Monte Moir, play all of their greatest hits and some hot new jams from their upcoming album.

“Las Vegas, is anybody hot, you know why, cause we’re cool,” sings Day during the song “Cool.” Throughout the show, Day or Banton will hand their microphone down to people in the audience, giving them a chance to sing along. The Flamingo showroom is just big enough to give everyone some room to dance while still feeling close to all the action on stage.

Flashing lights and a screen hanging above the stage add to the band’s exhilarating performances of “777-9311,” “Oak Tree,” “Jerk Out” and more of their popular hits.

At times, different band members leave the stage, and the remaining members perform songs that spotlight what they have been doing as musicians during their time apart.

“The reason we are back together is because of you, the fans,” says Jam. He explains that he would like to dedicate a song that was written and produced by Moir for Alexander O’Neil to the people that are not here tonight.

Next Moir appears on stage to give a stunning performance of his song, “If You Were Here Tonight.” There are several other surprises like this in the show that highlight some of the performers’ individual musical accomplishments outside of their time with the band.

It’s not long before all of the band members are reunited again to perform more of their make-you-wanna-move hits. For “Ice Cream Castles” Benton walks through the audience to bring women on stage to dance and get funky. Then they slow things down with "Gigolos Get Lonely Too."

By the time the final song of the night is played, everyone is out of their seats dancing and cheering for more. After uproarious applause, the band members give the audience one more chance to get down with their encore performance of their best-known hit “Jungle Love.”

The band’s amazing showmanship, high-energy performances and interaction with the audience create an enjoyable and feel-good night of entertainment that everyone can enjoy.

Here's some solo cuts

Jesse Johnson ~ Free World

Morris Day ~ Don't Wait For Me

i just feel that if tha movie with Janet jackson had have gone down back in 87 and when they still mattered as a band then it would have been cool. but seeing them now just ain't the same. i felt like they were just going through the motions back in 1990 to be honest. glad to see Jesse Johnson but i ain't expecting much in terms of new songs.

k4v9c4.jpg

The Time: Jimmy Jam, Jesse Johnson, Jerome Benton, Morris Day, Terry Lewis, Monte Moir, and Jellybean Johnson - re united 18 years after their last album.

Barry Bonds, Bette Midler and Kevin Garnett showed up. Prince sent seven dozen yellow roses. All because of the reunion of the original members of the Time in Las Vegas this summer.

A volatile mix of egos, the group reunited for the Grammy Awards in February, then 15 gigs in Las Vegas.

"One of the things that was precious about this experience was our young kids got to see us perform and they had never seen that before," Lewis, 51, said last week from Flyte Tyme Studios in Santa Monica, Calif., where they relocated in 2004.

In a separate interview, Jam, 49, agreed. "It was amazing to have my kids there every night and they didn't miss a single show," Jam said as he was picking up his three children, ages 8 to 12, from school.

He also appreciated hanging out with the guys. "It was fun just to be a keyboard player," said the man who has worn many hats. "And it's the roots -- it's where we started."

In spring 1983, Jam and Lewis were kicked out of the Time by its founder and producer, Prince, for missing a concert because they were out of town producing someone else's record and their airplane got delayed by a snowstorm. No "Purple Rain" movie for them, but they went on to Grammy-winning renown, producing 16 No. 1 pop songs (Janet Jackson, Human League, George Michael, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Usher) -- more than any producer except the Beatles' George Martin.

Although frontman Morris Day put together a new version of the Time in 1996, the original members had been contemplating a reunion for a while. Last fall, Lewis suggested a recording project. Then Jam, who is chairman of the board of the Recording Academy, landed them a Grammys gig. That widely watched appearance led to a limited engagement at the Flamingo Hotel reprising "777-9311," "Jungle Love" and "Cool."

"Terry called it a paid summer vacation," Jam said. But Jam and Lewis were also checking out the Time's chemistry and commitment, and the fan reaction. "Everyone who came was satisfied, and more," Lewis reports.

Before landing at the Flamingo, the Time had nearly finished recording a new album -- their first since 1990's "Pandemonium," a reunion project tied to Prince's film "Graffiti Bridge" -- but they came up with more song concepts in Vegas, Jam said. They hope to finish the CD this fall and then determine how to distribute it (they have offers from major labels).

In Vegas, they performed one new number, "See Through." Said Lewis: "The song is about our favorite color when it comes to a woman, in terms of her attire."

In other words, these funky lotharios haven't changed their sensibilities.

Egos mellow, priorities change

For now, at least, the old bandmates seem to be getting along just fine.

"Eighteen years is a long time," Jam said. "Being a parent, you have a lot more patience. Your priorities change. We place emphasis on what's important and don't get caught up in the little piddly things anymore."

Musically, one big change is Jesse Johnson's guitar chops. "He's more amazing than before as a guitarist," said Lewis, who worked with him last year on a Chaka Khan album.

The original Time may expire but the future seems promising, whether they return to Vegas, headline their own tour -- or even hit the road with Prince. "I don't know how much we'd enjoy it, but the fans would," Jam said.

"My attitude is, everybody feels like we're enjoying it and at a certain point we probably aren't going to enjoy it, so let's take advantage while we are."

Meanwhile, Day continues to perform with his version of the Time including founding members Monte Moir and Jellybean Johnson (the only two players who still live in the Twin Cities). "It's a little confusing to people," said Lewis. "I don't hate it. I would never tell Morris -- or anyone else -- to not make a living."

Always busy, Jam and Lewis are working on a covers album by "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard, a CD by R&B singer Deborah Cox and possibly something with Grammy- winning soul man John Legend.

They're excited about their young kids getting a chance to see them perform in Minneapolis for the first time.

"My kids haven't been back [in the Twin Cities] since Thanksgiving 2006," Jam said. "They miss the snow. I live for my kids. That's the most important thing I do now."

The Time is a great group. I just love Morris. I've had "Chocolate" on repeat for a few days now. Even after not listening to it for a long while, that's still a blazing (and hilarious) track.

The Time is a great group. I just love Morris. I've had "Chocolate" on repeat for a few days now. Even after not listening to it for a long while, that's still a blazing (and hilarious) track.

Yeah, Chocolate is a great one. They had a song called Myride that was on a Warner Brothers compilation called "Attack Of The Killer B's" in the 1980s, but can never find it anywhere. I recall Madonna had a track on there also. I saw the cassette once in a store and never saw it anywhere else.

Damn. Talk about raining on someone's parade.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Been obsessing over The Time's studio material lately. Prince is one bad ****.

[youtube]BejdCyIIVyw[/youtube]

[youtube]i9hLoPYABss[/youtube]

Two of my favorites.

I'm a big fan of The Time.

Are they still planning on doing that new album? It's been 20 years now...

Jesse Johnson 2009

Here's a couple of tunes from Jesse's album "Verbal Penetration" released late last year.
[youtube]oJiwNDOeGV0&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]0AcecYsyCPU&fmt=18[/youtube]

New material

Are they still planning on doing that new album? It's been 20 years now...
They recorded an album in 2008, but it hasn't been released yet. They performed a couple of the new songs when they appeared in Vegas in the summer of 2008. Don't know if the album will ever be released.
[youtube]PfoOz2ljZwM&fmt=18[/youtube]

It'll be such a shame if we never get another Time album. Although it has to be said, I'm not sure how a Time album without Prince would sound. I know these guys are talented cats, obviously we know Jam & Lewis have the producing credentials and Jesse's first two albums were vintage Minneapolis funk... but there's a certain humour that Prince brings to the mix when he writes a Time song. I'm honestly not sure if it'd work without his involvement.

Most of the "Pandemonium" album had no Prince input, and technically Morris' solo songs Fishnet and Love Is A Game are The Time (except Monte Moir wasn't involved). Jimmy, Terry, & Jesse were the producers/musicians for Chaka Khan's album "Funk This". They don't need Prince.

Most of the "Pandemonium" album had no Prince input, and technically Morris' solo songs Fishnet and Love Is A Game are The Time (except Monte Moir wasn't involved). Jimmy, Terry, & Jesse were the producers/musicians for Chaka Khan's album "Funk This". They don't need Prince.

Yes, but arguably the two best tracks on Pandemonium were Jerk Out and Chocolate. I don't know if you've heard the original Prince versions of these tracks, but they are practically identical.

Granted, Jam & Lewis did a great job on Chaka's last album, but whether they could pull off an authentic-sounding Time album without Prince remains to be seen.

Their first three albums were just another outlet for Prince to release his music in the early eighties. I don't mean to take anything away from the band, Jesse is an incredible guitarist, Morris has bags of charisma and Jam & Lewis have proven themselves time and time again. But Prince was the most important member of The Time and everyone knows it. The non-Prince tracks on Pandemonium largely sucked.

I like the whole Pandemonium album. It's my 2nd favorite after What Time Is It?

I like the whole Pandemonium album. It's my 2nd favorite after What Time Is It?

The tite track is cool and I love the rockier feel of songs like Skillet and Blondie.

But Chocolate is classic vintage Time at it's best, full of witty one liners and some awesome funky chicken grease guitar work.

Could they have done a song like that without Prince? Well they've had 20 years to prove it, and so far, they haven't.

In many cases, I don't really pay attention to the song lyrics per se, so I like the straight songs just as well as the humorous songs. There was a movie from the 1990's I think, and one of the characters told the other one who said he liked Jimi Hendrix that he was "listening" to the music, but not "hearing" it. In my case, I'm hearing the music and vocals, but listening to the lyrics, lol.

In many cases, I don't really pay attention to the song lyrics per se, so I like the straight songs just as well as the humorous songs. There was a movie from the 1990's I think, and one of the characters told the other one who said he liked Jimi Hendrix that he was "listening" to the music, but not "hearing" it. In my case, I'm hearing the music and vocals, but listening to the lyrics, lol.

You should listen to Chocolate with the lyrics. There's some seriously funny one-liners.

I know the words for 'Chocolate'. :p I used to play the remix for that a lot.

Back