The three Motown legends that should be in the Hall of Fame

troubleman84

Proud Member
Will the 3 "M's" of MOTOWN get inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame?

They were inarguably the first true stars to emerge out of Motown Records:

miracles_pic.jpg

THE MIRACLES:
Motown's first star group, its rise was partially due to the songwriting talents of Smokey Robinson, Pete Moore, Marv Tarplin and Ronnie White, also due to Smokey's unique falsetto/tenor (or countertenor) vocals. They scored Motown's first million-seller with "Shop Around" in 1961 and went on to score a bevy of hit singles including "Tracks of My Tears", "Going to a Go-Go", "You Really Got a Hold on Me", "Mickey's Monkey", "Ooo Baby Baby", "I Second That Emotion", "Tears of a Clown" and, after Smokey left in 1973, "Love Machine". However, controversy continues to surround the group as Smokey Robinson got in solely in 1987 as a "performer" and NOT a "non-performer", which technically he was. His solo career started in 1973 and he was only fourteen years into it when he got the solo induction, so why this error is not corrected? Something tells me politics are a reason why the Smoke Man got in but not his comrades.

marvelearly.jpg

THE MARVELETTES:
They emerged from outsiders from Inkster, Michigan, and emerged with Motown Records' first No. 1 hit, "Please Mr. Postman", in 1961. The group's hits included "Playboy", "Beechwood 4-5789", "Gonna Lock Up My Heart", "Danger: Breakdown Dead Ahead", "Destination Anywhere", "My Baby Must Be a Magician", "Don't Mess With Bill", "Too Many Fish in the Sea" and "When You're Young and In Love". This is probably one of Motown's most maligned groups. Shortly after turning down "Where Did Our Love Go?", which became a hit for The Supremes and inarguably turned them into superstars, the Marvelettes had a hard time of it which they came with few hit singles. IMHO, they also needed to be inducted long ago. I feel an induction will finally bring a closure to their tragic saga.

94dcd0e9-40ab-4ead-a2c7-6bee4c3c84f1.jpg

MARY WELLS:
One of Motown's first solo female artists, she was the first solo artist to score a top ten hit with Motown starting with 1962's "The One Who Really Loves You", which she quickly followed with "You Beat Me to the Punch" and "Two Lovers". Her subsequent follow-ups included "Laughing Boy", "What's So Easy for Two Is So Hard for One", "Your Old Standby", "You Lost the Sweetest Boy" and of course the sixties standard, "My Guy", which was the first international hit single for Motown. Shortly afterwards, Motown's first solo star left the label due to contract technicality and royalty disputes. Wells' career saw some fine moments after Motown including hits with 20th Century Fox, a creative period at Jubilee and the disco smash, "Gigolo", but her career was relegated to the oldies' circuit by the 1980s and the records she put out never got the recognition it would've probably gotten had she stayed at Motown. Whether the cause, it's still a shame the first female star of the "Motown Sound" still gets passed over as a relic and not as something of a music legend, which she is. Hopefully, they'll finally get her the recognition she deserves with this induction.

Last edited:
The Hall Of Fame is a scam. Only acts that Jann Wenner likes or is on good terms with him are put in.

Thank you Timmy for posting this, i still get so amazed how a "kid" like you is wise like an "old" man in the knowledge of the greatest artists. There may be hope yet that all 24 years olds don't think the only great music is Soulja Boy :lol: seriously on the real i was just talking to my dad this morning about how the Hall is going to have to go back and reverse themselves and induct greats they have seriously overlooked. They've already inducted the biggest commercial stars of all time and with their 25 year rule the 80s was limited in terms of what they will be able to induct down the road it can be argued after 1988 with the exception of say Mariah, Mary J, Kelz and a few others music as a whole largely died. The greatest period was from the 1950s to the very late 80s.

Thank you Timmy for posting this, i still get so amazed how a "kid" like you is wise like an "old" man in the knowledge of the greatest artists. There may be hope yet that all 24 years olds don't think the only great music is Soulja Boy :lol: seriously on the real i was just talking to my dad this morning about how the Hall is going to have to go back and reverse themselves and induct greats they have seriously overlooked. They've already inducted the biggest commercial stars of all time and with their 25 year rule the 80s was limited in terms of what they will be able to induct down the road it can be argued after 1988 with the exception of say Mariah, Mary J, Kelz and a few others music as a whole largely died. The greatest period was from the 1950s to the very late 80s.

Welcome. I know Soulja Boy is not music, I don't know what he is, but that garbage he releases ain't music.

But that's besides the point. :lol:

Jann knows plenty he just kisses up to biggest money. He used to have this once great mag called 'Rolling Stone' :lol: the only thing decent about it is when they cover Barak other than that Jann is one of those who used to love music and knew the deal got superrich and say screw it and the people who are the backbone which is why the Hall is such an embarrassment now.

Jann knows plenty he just kisses up to biggest money. He used to have this once great mag called 'Rolling Stone' :lol: the only thing decent about it is when they cover Barak other than that Jann is one of those who used to love music and knew the deal got superrich and say screw it and the people who are the backbone which is why the Hall is such an embarrassment now.

Yeah he can only redeem himself if he does it all over again. Especially the fact that Smokey gets inducted as a SOLO ARTIST rather than as a NON-PERFORMER. They didn't do that to the Supremes because of Diana Ross so why do that to the Miracles?

So I heard. This fool don't know ish about music, he just do business. :rolleyes:

It's just like the people he puts in his magazine. Several writers for Rolling Stone said that Wenner would reject stories for acts he disliked (especially if he disliked them personally and not just their music), and would give them little or no recognition.

Yeah he can only redeem himself if he does it all over again. Especially the fact that Smokey gets inducted as a SOLO ARTIST rather than as a NON-PERFORMER. They didn't do that to the Supremes because of Diana Ross so why do that to the Miracles?

My father has said that plenty times why the Miracles were overlooked there are so many things wrong that Jann could right, and a lack of pool to choose from in the future coupled with servere decline in ratings for the Hall show may force the idiot to have to go back in time if he doesn't want the Hall to disappear into oblivion.

My father has said that plenty times why the Miracles were overlooked there are so many things wrong that Jann could right, and a lack of pool to choose from in the future coupled with servere decline in ratings for the Hall show may force the idiot to have to go back in time if he doesn't want the Hall to disappear into oblivion.

Yeah, Madonna failed to gain ratings too.

Yeah, Madonna failed to gain ratings too.

:yes: :yes: If the BET awards proved anything what people enjoyed the most was the SINGING, and Madonna has never been a singer not to slam her but she's a great performer. When the Hall was first established it inducted some of the all time great vocalists and such and once Jann made a popularity contest rather than who truly deserved it for one person he inducted who was the right call, he'd make 4 wrong ones. Nobody is saying he can't induct who he wants but he is going to have to make it about MUSIC again and not about who he thinks is 'cool' cause that is wearing thin.

:yes: :yes: If the BET awards proved anything what people enjoyed the most was the SINGING, and Madonna has never been a singer not to slam her but she's a great performer. When the Hall was first established it inducted some of the all time great vocalists and such and once Jann made a popularity contest rather than who truly deserved it for one person he inducted who was the right call, he'd make 4 wrong ones. Nobody is saying he can't induct who he wants but he is going to have to make it about MUSIC again and not about who he thinks is 'cool' cause that is wearing thin.

He HAS to. :lol:

I don't know if Rick is mainstream enough, he never really crossed over, so is not on the radar.
street songs was a top 3 album and sold triple platinum and "Super Freak" is as american as Apple Pie and chevy pick up truck.

had huge hits for Mary Jane Girls,himself and a comedian named Eddie Murphy. he didn't sell out but he made noise to get notice

street songs was a top 3 album and sold triple platinum and "Super Freak" is as american as Apple Pie and chevy pick up truck.

had huge hits for Mary Jane Girls,himself and a comedian named Eddie Murphy. he didn't sell out but he made noise to get notice
Superfreak is the only song that the mainstream really knows, just like Word Up with Cameo. They (and the Mary Jane Girls) were popular with the R&B audience, not the Top 40 crowd. Remember Rick was complaining about not getting on MTV, which is mainstream. They didn't show Mike either until CBS threatened to take their other acts off. Motown couldn't do this because they didn't have anybody that MTV showed. You can sell lots of records back then without selling to the white audience, like Teddy Pendergrass or The Gap Band.

Superfreak is the only song that the mainstream really knows, just like Word Up with Cameo. They (and the Mary Jane Girls) were popular with the R&B audience, not the Top 40 crowd. Remember Rick was complaining about not getting on MTV, which is mainstream. They didn't show Mike either until CBS threatened to take their other acts off. Motown couldn't do this because they didn't have anybody that MTV showed. You can sell lots of records back then without selling to the white audience, like Teddy Pendergrass or The Gap Band.
MJ was always know but the biz has always been racist nothing new.

wrong about Rick James because he had a high grossing tour for the street songs tour, a top 3 pop album and two top 40 hit songs which was a big deal then. selling 3 million copies of a album ain't hardly chitlin circuit level my friend.

cameo had top 40 hits and went platinum quite a few times they weren't unknown in pop world like say chocolate milk or forgotten like orange juice jones

gap band did cross over because they had multi platinum success. Teddy Pendergrass had 5 straight platinum albums and successful tours and i get the aingle you coming from but it doesn't apply to these acts mentioned now if you said Frankie beverly and maze or millie jackson then i agree.

Back