The Temptations vs. The Four Tops

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Both were two of the biggest and most talented male groups of their day, but which do you all prefer?

The Temptations big hits:

My Girl
Get Ready
Just My Imagination
Ball of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today)
Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
Treat Her Like A Lady
I Know I'm Losing You
Beauty's Only Skin Deep
I Wish It Would Rain

The Four Tops Big Hits:

Baby I Need Your Loving
I Can't Help Myself
Standing In The Shadows of Love
It's The Same Ole' Song
Reach Out (I'll Be There)
Aint No Woman Like The One I've Got

I love this showdown between the two groups at Motown 25, I really thought it was one of the many highlights of the show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sx3ujxp4OCg

For me personally, I love both. It's hard to pick between the two because both made great, timeless music but I listen to The Temptations more often so I gotta go with them :). You can't wrong either way though, both are great.

Last edited:
I have to go with the Temptations for "Stay" and "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone"

Love them both though.

Both are good but I am going to have to go with The Temptations as I like them more but only by a slight margin.

LOL I love both groups BUT I have to go with the Temptations. I still got mad love for the Four Tops though.

Oooh...tough one...

Definately "The Temptations"

Heal The World~~~"Educations Is The Key"

love them both but the temptations because of the songs. i mean there songs hold longer than any other Group IMO vocal group that is. but I dig them both.

Lawd I love the Four Tops, but the Temptations did dominate. they were more assertive. They are both Mount Rushmore in music.

The Four Tops was mainly Levi Stubbs, but the Temps all sang lead (except for Otis, lol. Although for a period in the 70s and early 80s, it seemed Dennis was doing most of the leads.) which varied their sound.

At the moment, strictly on preference, i'm leaning towards the four tops because I listen to their songs more and don't skip them on my media player :lol: I love the Temptin' T's, don't get me wrong, but I hear their songs ALLL the time...so I'd rather hear the Four Tops hehehe

The Spinners & The Dramatics were also popular in the 70s. The Dramatics (like most Stax acts) never really crossed over to the pop charts, although were big on the R&B side.

I like them both but Temps all the way! Some Tops songs I also like not mentioned above:

Shake Me Wake Me and Yesterday's Dreams . . . Can't forget Audrey 2 from Little Shop of Horrors either, LOL!

Well, both groups were great but i've always loved the Temps music more i must say :)

The Spinners & The Dramatics were also popular in the 70s. The Dramatics (like most Stax acts) never really crossed over to the pop charts, although were big on the R&B side.

Oh yeah The Dramatics were great as well, "i wanna go outsiiiiiide, in the raaaiiiinnn" lol

Back