The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000)

mjfan777

Proud Member
i was curious to see how many people are fans of them. I personally absolutely love them. They are probably one of my most favorite bands. I obviously prefer the original line-up consisting of Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'arcy Wretzky and Jimmy Chamberlin. I've listened to the current line-up and they're not bad but it doesn't come close the chemistry and musical genius the original line-up had despite everything that went on.
I understand not many people like their sort of music but what i loved most about the original run was that every album was different. Gish was the debut album filled with some amazing songs e.g Rhinoceros, I am one and Siva. Siamese Dream was filled with emotional and enjoyable songs. My favorites being Today, Geek U.S.A, Disarm, Space Boy, Cherub Rock, Rocket, Soma and Mayonnaise. Then came the masterpiece. Melon Collie and the infinite sadness. In my opinion this album made them, at the time, the greatest rock band on the planet. There are so many songs on that album that i love. Tonight, Tonight, Zero, Jellybelly, Bullet with butterfly wings, To Forgive, Love, Galapagos, Muzzle, Porcelina, Take me down, Where boys fear to tread, 33, In the arms of sleep, 1979, Beautiful, Lily, By Starlight and Farewell and goodnight. Then came the heartbreak. During the Melon collie '96 tour Jimmy chamberlin and touring keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin overdosed on heroin. Sadly Melvoin did not survive. Chamberlin was kicked out. the response. Adore. With the loss of chamberlin and Billy Corgan losing his mother to cancer Adore is filled with songs that will make you smile and cry. Highlights being Ava Adore, To Sheila, Perfect, For Martha, Pug and Daphne Descends. 1 year later the band decided to bring Chamberlin back for one last tour and album. However D'arcy left before the final album Machina was finished. I love machina. Every track on that album to me is amazing.

Well that was long.
Their albums ranked in favorite to less favorite
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Machina 1/2
Siamese Dream
Aeroplane flies high (compilation album + B sides)
Gish
Pisces Iscariot (B sides)

To the people who aren't keen on heavy rock that here are some songs that you NEED to listen to:
Tonight, Tonight
Stand Inside Your Love
Lily
Beautiful
I Of The Mourning
Let Me Give The World To You
Disarm
For Martha
Perfect
Try Try Try
This Time
Wound
With Every Light
Age Of Innocence

Also to all the fans of the Pumpkins do you like James Iha's Solo albums?

Back