The Scramble Begins for New Michael Jackson Songs

Maestro

Proud Member
The Scramble Begins for New Michael Jackson Songs
Ownership of up to 150 unreleased songs, including a comeback album, may be up for grabs among Sony and other music labels
By Ronald Grover

To add to the many mysteries surrounding the untimely death of music superstar Michael Jackson, now industry sources are buzzing over who owns the rights to a large number of unreleased songs that the performer recorded over the last decade. That includes some that were almost certainly to be released to coincide with his scheduled 50 concerts at London's O2 arena that were to have begun on July 13.

At issue is whether Sony (SNE), whose Epic Records label released Jackson's last six original albums, has the rights to the new music. Jackson's deal with Sony, which also released two compilations of his music, ended with the 2001 release of his Invincible album. But in the sometimes convoluted world of music contracts, Jackson still could owe music to the Japanese company, according to one high-ranking source with knowledge of the deal.

Another source with knowledge of the Jackson estate, however, says that the musician's estate has begun a lengthy inventory of the estimated 150 songs the singer left, to determine whether they may be free of Sony and thus available to be peddled to another record label for a likely hefty up-front payment.

The 150 unreleased songs are said to include a potential comeback album that Jackson was preparing. He had recorded several songs with leading hip-hop artists, including Will.i.am, and with Senegalese pop artist Akon. Veteran music producer Bruce Swedien, who worked on Jackson's mammoth Thriller album, told USA Today that he and Jackson "had a bunch of things in the works," mostly pop songs.

Special Administrators' Role
Music industry sources say they expect Jackson's longtime manager, John Branca, who on July 6 was named one of two "special administrators" of the estate, to try to stoke a bidding war among labels to get the highest royalty he can for any new album. His fellow "special administrator," John McClain, a longtime Jackson family friend and record company executive, has been put in charge of reviewing the unreleased music. Some of the unreleased music is said to date back to Jackson's Motown days in the early 1970s, when he released albums such as his 1972 solo debut Got to Be There, according to one source with knowledge of the estate.

Neither Branca nor McClain would comment. A Los Angeles Superior Court judge is expected to decide whether to grant the two men permanent status as the Jackson estate executors at an Aug. 3 hearing.

But the struggle for who gets the next album may have already begun. Epic President Amanda Ghost told Britain's digital radio network BBC 6 Music on July 9 that she has "no idea when [a new album] is coming out, but it will come out on Sony/Epic." Epic officials immediately said she had been misquoted, although one source with knowledge of Sony's dealings says the Japanese company maintains the rights through 2011 to all Michael Jackson songs. Those are the conditions contained in his original contract, this source says, which also included the "reversion" to Jackson of the "masters" of his songs at that point. Under a reversion, a recording artist gets back the rights to all of his music, including both new music and music that has been released, according to music industry sources.

New-Album Roadblock Till 2012?
That may mean that Branca could try to block Sony for the next two and a half years from using new Michael Jackson music for an album, thus giving Branca the right to negotiate a deal to distribute music through another label. That would effectively pit most of the music industry against Sony in a potential bidding war, says one current label executive. Once Jackson's estate is out of the contract with Sony, says University of Southern California law professor Lance Grode, a former head of worldwide business affairs for MCA Music, it would have wide latitude to distribute Jackson's music how it wishes, even doing so without a music label.

If there is such a free-for-all, there would be no shortage of takers. Universal Music Group, which owns the Motown label, would likely be interested. This month, the Vivendi-owned (VIV.PA) music company began distributing more than 300 types of Michael Jackson merchandise to retail outlets, including sunglasses and clothes, some of which Jackson had designed. Warner Music Group (WMG) would likely also be interested since it administers the publishing rights to Jackson's music under his MiJack catalog, by which other musicians pay royalties to use the words to Jackson's songs. Universal and Warner executives would not comment.

At this point, however, all roads seem to go through Sony, at least according to a former executive at Sony Music Entertainment, who believes that Sony has already catalogued Jackson's new music and would have first call on what it wants for a new album. Tommy Mottola, a former chairman and CEO of Sony Music, agrees. "Sony is in an ideal position right now to sell tons of Michael Jackson catalog, collector's sets, unreleased music, and packaged music," he says. Sony executives would not comment on what rights they possess or their plans for releasing any Michael Jackson material.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/jul2009/db20090714_960673.htm

If they wait until 2012 the estate will get a huge amount of money and they can release the music in conjunction with a new label not Sony. I know it makes sense for us fans sooner than 2012 but I would rather Sony get kicked to the curb even if that means I wait until another 2 1/2 years..

If they wait until 2012 the estate will get a huge amount of money and they can release the music in conjunction with a new label not Sony. I know it makes sense for us fans sooner than 2012 but I would rather Sony get kicked to the curb even if that means I wait until another 2 1/2 years..

Hell no. The wait was already too much for me to handle before he died. Another 2 and a half to three and a half years? Too much. Plus we all know if it's released soon, like very soon, it will do well on the charts. Despite the fact that MJ isn't here to witness it, I still want him to dominate the charts.

To make ourselves wait years just for revenge is kind of pointless. Besideds it's a company. How can we hold a grudge against a company? Even if we hate the guts of two or three people there that doesn't mean we want revenge against everybody that works there.

Plus much of the music will end up getting leaked before then, which means no dominance on the charts, no profit for anybody, and crappy sound quality for us.

Honestly in this situation the fans should come first. I think MJ would want it that way.

I think it's sad that politics is still getting in the way of fans enjoying MJs art even after his death.

I say release it with Motown Records. It would be the circle effect. Michael's career started at Motown, and it ends with Motown.

in my opinion... (how far I understand, my english is not the best) "they" can prevent his music to release till 2012?! and try to find another label?!

let's wait and see if "they" can find another label than sony... I would like to see their faces...
michael has nothing out of that... he can't see how much he sells...

everybody said we have to "fight" for him... and in my opinion that's kind of "fight"...
we're waiting... and let'z hope that they'll find another one...

I mean... none of us can prevent what they're doing or not, but that's how i feel...

hope u get what I'am trying to say...
bit upset about all these money stuff right now...

Ideally, I would like the newer unreleased stuff that was intended to be on the new album to be released at the end of June next year.

ideally I would like the newer stuff to be released within this august. then release collections of the better unreleased stuff every few years.

It's very unlikely they'll wait two years to release new music, especially since interest is so high now. If no music gets released, no one makes money. Branca will probably make them sweat, but they'll find a way to put out product.

^ I hope so!!

2012 is so far away:(
And wether a DVD will actually come out is also a good question actually...

i wouldnt be able to handle tht at all. i just so wanna hear what he was working on. they will all be instant classics if released soon

I was always complaining abt MJ taking ages to release New Albums.

But at this point in time im going to be slefless & hope that the New music is released on a label other that Phony. Even if it means waiting for 3 years. I know waiting that long will not be apperiated by some fans, but keeping the interest of the MJ Family estate, I'd rather have the music come on another label.

I luv Mike as much or more that his music. So my first priority wud be the interst of Mike's Kids & Estate.

I don't get all the hate for Sony. They gave Michael 25 million dollars to record Invincible. I think they have been very good to Michael in the past and now they have someone new in charge. I wouldn't write off Sony. 2012 is a long time from now. Releasing a new album like that in 2012 would be ridiculous. I would expect something from Sony to be released late 2009 to capitalize on the holiday season or next year around this time. I have faith in Sony to do a great job promoting it. Only thing I worry about are the songs leaking. They also should get Bruce Sweiden in on the project.

Dammit!!! I don't give a crap if Sony releases it or not. We want unreleased songs from Michael, and he wanted that too. That's total b.s. to have us wait 2 1/2 more years for them to play around!! :mat:

Quote: "Hell no. The wait was already too much for me to handle before he died. Another 2 and a half to three and a half years? Too much. Plus we all know if it's released soon, like very soon, it will do well on the charts. Despite the fact that MJ isn't here to witness it, I still want him to dominate the charts.

To make ourselves wait years just for revenge is kind of pointless. Besideds it's a company. How can we hold a grudge against a company? Even if we hate the guts of two or three people there that doesn't mean we want revenge against everybody that works there.

Plus much of the music will end up getting leaked before then, which means no dominance on the charts, no profit for anybody, and crappy sound quality for us.

Honestly in this situation the fans should come first. I think MJ would want it that way."

Exactly!

Who should I believe in now?

I used to believe in Michael only, but he's gone.

I don't know what to believe.
A message to you from Michael Jackson:
From the Wiz: "Believe in Yourself"
Lena Horn sings. Michael Jackson is the Scare Crow.
Please, Click here and Listen with your heart.
All of Michael Jackson's Fans Love you,
and Michael Jackson is Watching over us from Heaven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zled...04F8B4107&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Last edited:
There is no way that it won't be released before 2012. The entire world wants it now and it will sell far more this year than in 2.5 years' time.

It's about money from all sides and the money says now, not later...

Hey, maybe Michael's music will be the theme song to London's Olympics in 2012!

I AGREE wholeheartedly. I CAN wait. I love Michael MORE than his music. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.....listening to his old jams. The HELL w/Sony.

I don't care when any of it comes out as long as all the people that have their hands in this are doing right by Michael, his children, his mother and his estate. Anything these people do with honesty we fans will benefit from too, but Michael, his children, his mother and everything that he as worked so hard for comes first.

Back