The REAL underrated part of Michael's career

HIStory

Proud Member
No, not HIStory and not Invincible. Especially not in the fan community where both of those albums, but especially HIStory, actually get much praise and are analyzed a lot. At least compared to... Destiny and Triumph. I think that is the really underrated and often overlooked part of Michael's career - because those albums aren't only forgotten by the general public, but I do not see fans talk about them much either. Yes, they are Jacksons albums, but Michael's input on them is not any less than on his solo albums. I mean on Off The Wall he wrote or co-wrote three songs, on Triumph six and on Destiny the brothers wrote all songs bar one. OTW is usually highly rated but anyone who likes OTW should also like Triumph IMO. It's an incredible album.

And I'm so fascinated by Destiny because IMO it has some of Michael's most personal, soul-baring songs until Dangerous and HIStory. I mean That’s What You Get (For Being Polite), Bless His Soul, Push Me Away, Destiny... They tell so much about Michael. And he was only 20. Perhaps no one noticed back then but looking back it's clear that those songs are deeply personal. I think that album is a precious gem. And both are R&B classics. The peak of Michael's work with his brothers.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to dismiss or forget about The Jackson's music. Most people only think of The Jackson 5 and then Michael's solo work.

Can't agree more with OP. When listening to music before Michael's solo work, I will most frequently listen to Destiny and Triumph. Some of the songs are just as personal as those in HIStory. Great live performances for these songs too as a bonus :)

If I had to pick what I considered MJ's most underrated work, I'd be tempted to go for a Motown album like Forever, Michael. Destiny and Triumph are great projects as well though, a real team effort. If only Victory had been the same.

I think all of The Jacksons album are underrated. Time Waits For No One, That's What You Get, Show You The Way To Go, Find Me A Girl, and etc are masterpieces!

respect77;4042269 said:
No, not HIStory and not Invincible. Especially not in the fan community where both of those albums, but especially HIStory, actually get much praise and are analyzed a lot. At least compared to... Destiny and Triumph. I think that is the really underrated and often overlooked part of Michael's career - because those albums aren't only forgotten by the general public, but I do not see fans talk about them much either. Yes, they are Jacksons albums, but Michael's input on them is not any less than on his solo albums. I mean on Off The Wall he wrote or co-wrote three songs, on Triumph six and on Destiny the brothers wrote all songs bar one. OTW is usually highly rated but anyone who likes OTW should also like Triumph IMO. It's an incredible album.

And I'm so fascinated by Destiny because IMO it has some of Michael's most personal, soul-baring songs until Dangerous and HIStory. I mean That’s What You Get (For Being Polite), Bless His Soul, Push Me Away, Destiny... They tell so much about Michael. And he was only 20. Perhaps no one noticed back then but looking back it's clear that those songs are deeply personal. I think that album is a precious gem. And both are R&B classics. The peak of Michael's work with his brothers.

Great point. I'm guilty of it myself. I must make an effort to play them more.

The 'problem' with Michael is there's too much good stuff, so I tend to play the really perfect tracks rather than just the very good ones :)

Triumph is Off The Wall part 2! Lovely One is underrated, the only single from that album which is played nearly every week on the radio is obviously Can You Feel It.

not underrated in my eyes. my favs from the album is Lovely one & Heartbreak hotel. and oh boy what a live performance he gave during the Bad tour of those two songs. perfect!

Destiny and Triumph are pretty consistent albums and contain some real gems. I absolutely love Give It Up and Everybody. It's a shame that they're not better recognised!

^Yeah, I agree. I don't even know all the songs of that album because I don't have it. I've seen more praise and recognition for Destiny and Thriumph among the fans than for Goin' Places and probably Victory is underrated as well.

Michael's solo later work is underrated among the general public but the Jackson's albums are practically unknown.

What about Michael's Motown solo albums? They are also underrated in my opinion

Be Not Always is a solo masterpiece & should have featured on the BAD album, the way Michael deliver's the raw emotion is flawless! absolutely incomparable. Butterflies also, i don't see this song having much recognition.. Michael's tone so pure.. similar to the style of Human Nature among other's.

What about Michael's Motown solo albums? They are also underrated in my opinion

I prefer the albums where he already had creative control. But yes, his late Motown career has some forgotten gems as well. I think the most underrated album from that era is G.I.T.: Get It Together by the J5. A really funky album, would have deserved to be a hit. I actually prefer this to the early bubble gum soul sound. The title song is one of my favourite J5 songs of all.

I prefer the albums where he already had creative control. But yes, his late Motown career has some forgotten gems as well. I think the most underrated album from that era is G.I.T.: Get It Together by the J5. A really funky album, would have deserved to be a hit. I actually prefer this to the early bubble gum soul sound. The title song is one of my favourite J5 songs of all.

The song Get It Together is so funky. The part at 47s beginning with 'Na na baby' is very cool.

I've never get why Michael didn't include at least State Of Shock in the Victory tour track list, he wanted to perform Be Not Always but he got too emotional and it's understandable. That's why it gives me the impression Victory (album) isn't that known and the tour was more to me the Thriller one.

I confess I'm more a fan of the Jackson's than the Jackson 5, I love the classics nonetheless. Get It Together's music reminded me a lot of Higher Ground but it's nice indeed.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Destiny, Off the Wall, and Triumph are all brilliant. I so so wish that the estate would release the Triumph Tour on dvd, In my opinion a proper release of the Triumph Tour and Victory Tour should have been done before any posthumous album.

I've never get why Michael didn't include at least State Of Shock in the Victory tour track list, he wanted to perform Be Not Always but he got too emotional and it's understandable. That's why it gives me the impression Victory (album) isn't that known and the tour was more to me the Thriller one.

I confess I'm more a fan of the Jackson's than the Jackson 5, I love the classics nonetheless. Get It Together's music reminded me a lot of Higher Ground but it's nice indeed.

I prefer The Jackson's over The Jackson 5 too. Mainly because I prefer Michael's adult voice

And that's something I'll never understand. People always praise Michael's voice as a child (And rightfully so) but they ignore his voice as an adult. In my opinion his voice was better as an adult

Destiny and Triumph really are underrated, because this thread is getting ignored while the most recent threads about HIStory and Invincible are still going on

Back