The orginal album pressings have better sound quality than the later special addition releases?

analogue

Proud Member
Someone once said that the orginal album pressings for Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous sound better than the special addition releases that were released later. People have said that this is because of the loudness war. Do anyone of you think this is true?

Someone once said that the orginal album pressings for Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad and Dangerous sound better than the special addition releases that were released later. People have said that this is because of the loudness war. Do anyone of you think this is true?

idk my parents bought special editions with special features on them but i would love to buy all original albums

Totally agree, I even prefer to the really high quality Vinyl rips to the original CD lossless rips. A family member just got a new car system, and even after painful tweaking any of his albums pre BOTDF sound flat, though on an old but powerful home system sound amazing. But on the home system, Invincible sounds empty-ish. We tried invincible in his car, and it sounded unbeleavable. We really do think he catered this album to the 'compressed' file type era, given that's how music is mostly shared now-a-days. He was too ahead of his time sometimes.

It's about dynamics. Remasters take all the dynamics out so everything is clipped and doesn't have anywhere near as many highs/lows throughout the track.
I like older pressings that aren't clipped at all but most people don't give a toss and say they like the newer sound so it's up to what you think

Oh and also a few of the songs have different sounds between versions. like RWY is different from the original vs remasters and also Smooth Criminal has the heartbeat at the beggining of the original and IJCSLY has the intro on the original.

When they talk about REMASTERED, they mostly did compression / limiting. I really thought the older album does not have hi sounds. I recently bought Bad album first pressing and listened to it also. The only thing is the ''volume'' is louder on remastered CD's, some of them are TOO loud. I started to make some collection CD's of MJ and I really had problems with the differences.When you listen to the older CD tracks it's fine, then a track from Invincible comes and I got shocked buy the volume. What can I do with that? I will make a extern HD with all MJ tracks incl. all remixes. But with an average volume. So I have to ''remaster'' the first pressings, and I have to make the volume of Invincible and Ultimate Collection tracks LOWER... Anyone has got an idea for this????

About the shocking ''volume'' effect it will not be with MJ only, it's for everything....

T25 was mixed HORRIBLY!

TSE isnt that bad but I prefer the original.

imo the UK King of Pop Discs are great, very good sound,
the BluSpec Essentials were a waste of money, didn´t sound any different then normal CDs

It's about dynamics. Remasters take all the dynamics out so everything is clipped and doesn't have anywhere near as many highs/lows throughout the track.
I like older pressings that aren't clipped at all but most people don't give a toss and say they like the newer sound so it's up to what you think

Of course it's up to them but I prefer my music with dynamics and sound intact.

Some remasters are great - the Collectors Choice Editions that are coming out now of older-reissued albums from the 70s and 80s and quite a few of the MFSL ones sound magnificent but yeah most remasters are really de-mastering the sound to work on portable devices.

The only remasters that I've heard that sound better than the original vinyl is the Genesis box sets released a couple of years ago. They were remixed from the original master tapes, instead of just making them sound louder or pumping up the bass like what usually happens with remasters. CDs in general sound flat, probably because it's digital information. But with records the sound depends on the material of the record is made of and the plates used to press them with.

Back