The next hologram appearance will be: Freddie Mercury on May 14th (?)

Lucilla

Proud Member
(BBC News) Freddie Mercury 'to appear' in Queen show.

Queen guitarist Brian May has revealed that Freddie Mercury will "appear" on stage during a special performance of West End musical We Will Rock You.

He told the BBC that the production team had been working on ways to give the late singer a presence during its 10th anniversary show for some time.

May stressed the new "effect" was not a hologram, calling it "an optical illusion of sorts".

"People will come out saying, 'did we actually see Freddie?'" he added.

The guitarist hinted the musical might employ a similar technique to the one used to make the late rapper Tupac Shakur perform on stage at the Coachella music festival last month.

"It's a little unfortunate they did that thing with Tupac as we've been trying to make Freddie appear on the stage for quite a while," he said.

"[That technique] is something we've looked at ourselves but I think probably for a show that runs eight shows a week it's not really quite practical."

The special performance, on 14 May, will celebrate 10 years of the hit musical at London's Dominion Theatre.

As well as almost all the original London cast in attendance, Hollywood star Robert De Niro - who is one of the show's producers - will also be making an appearance.

"There is a certain person who's coming that's intimately associated with getting the production on in the first place - our friend Bob from Los Angeles," May confirmed.

"We call him Bob so we don't get too overcome with his stardom."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18025766

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/queen-will-debut-freddie-mercury-illusion-in-london-20120511
__________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, let's remember that "hologram" is not the proper name. It would be a projection in 2d.
And seems like it will be a little different than what we saw with Tupac. (Not sure if that means a better illusion or not)
But well, I guess this is the future of music business.

Last edited:
This should be interesting...

Also, once again, Roger Taylor proves he's a hypocrite. A couple of weeks ago, after the whole Tupac hologram thing that blew the internet away, he was asked if they considered doing such a thing with Freddie's image and he basically said 'hell naw!' to that. And now this? Brian comes out and says they've had this idea long before the Tupac hologram thing exploded... Seriously?

Oh well, I love the guys but seriously, sometimes they just need to shut up...

With that said, I'm actually looking forward to this and I hope it turns out great. Freddie forever!

But well, I guess this is the future of music business.

I don't think bringing back dead rockstars will be a 'thing' from now on. I mean, I could be wrong but I wouldn't really put my money on that...

Last edited:
^^Why so excited? Maybe they'll screw this up and make some incredibly generic scene... Maybe not, still, I don't get the excitement. I'm just gonna wait and see what they'll do and then I'll judge it. I wonder if they'll even film that part of the musical and post the footage online. It is a 'big deal' so I'm thinking it's going to get some attention.

Brian, Roger... you guys better not screw this up! It's Freddie Mercury after all, make him look as the great rockstar that he was!

^^Why so excited? Maybe they'll screw this up and make some incredibly generic scene... Maybe not, still, I don't get the excitement. I'm just gonna wait and see what they'll do and then I'll judge it. I wonder if they'll even film that part of the musical and post the footage online. It is a 'big deal' so I'm thinking it's going to get some attention.

Brian, Roger... you guys better not screw this up! It's Freddie Mercury after all, make him look as the great rockstar that he was!

After they screw up, I won't be excited anymore. Till then I have all rights to be excited.

I don't know what I feel about the whole hologram thing.

This should be interesting...

Also, once again, Roger Taylor proves he's a hypocrite. A couple of weeks ago, after the whole Tupac hologram thing that blew the internet away, he was asked if they considered doing such a thing with Freddie's image and he basically said 'hell naw!' to that. And now this? Brian comes out and says they've had this idea long before the Tupac hologram thing exploded... Seriously?

Oh well, I love the guys but seriously, sometimes they just need to shut up...

With that said, I'm actually looking forward to this and I hope it turns out great. Freddie forever!

I don't think bringing back dead rockstars will be a 'thing' from now on. I mean, I could be wrong but I wouldn't really put my money on that...

I don't know why but in Facebook and other threads that I read about this, most Queen fans are against it or fearing it.
It's like it was ok with Tupac but with Freddie it's a much different thing.

Last edited:
I don't know why but in Facebook and other threads that I read about this, most Queen fans are against it or fearing it.
It's like it was ok with Tupac but with Freddie it's a much different thing.

Rightfully so. I'm kind of on the fence about it too. I would 'sort of' want to see it, but I fear it's gonna be done really bad, cuz if there's one thing that Brian and Roger are good at (in the post-Freddie Queen era), it's screwing up things.

After they screw up, I won't be excited anymore. Till then I have all rights to be excited.

Still don't get the excitement. Obviously, you're not familiar with Brian and Roger's 'ways'...

Rightfully so. I'm kind of on the fence about it too. I would 'sort of' want to see it, but I fear it's gonna be done really bad, cuz if there's one thing that Brian and Roger are good at (in the post-Freddie Queen era), it's screwing up things.

Yeah I would be looking forward if it's done well. Would be nice to see him playing ''live'' again :D

Yeah I would be looking forward if it's done well. Would be nice to see him playing ''live'' again :D

For casual fans like you, it might sound promising. But for hardcore fans who know Brian and Roger very well and know their history of screw ups since 1995, it's a scary thought, especially since there are soooo many ways they can screw this up. From the footage, to the animation, to the song, to the segment of the musical, to the length of 'Freddie's performance'... so many things that can go wrong. And again, knowing RT & BM, they'll surely find a way to make this go wrong...

It was a brief moment when it was supposed to happen. At the end of Bohemian Rhapsody, his voice was heard singing the last line. Brian was on stage as he performed with the cast and as he was playing the final chords of the song looking towards something, somewhere, the place Freddie was supposed to appear, Freddie was heard singing the last line, "anyway the wind blows".

The illusion didn't properly work apparently. It was only a brief moment, if you blinked you surely missed it. That's not how it was supposed to happen though, but due to some technical problems (not the only one of the night) the illusion didn't really happen.

There's a video from the performance recorded by someone from the audience. http://queenonline.com/en/news-archive/wwry-10th-anniversary-report/

Not really worth watching since 'illusion' was very brief and you can't really see it in the vid, so yeah, nothing impressive.

Like I said, something was gonna go wrong, and it did.

Let's put it this way, Freddie "was a bit shy". I mean, it's been over 20 years since he performed on a stage, you have to understand him. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh, so nothing happened? What a shame :/
So sorry they had technical problems!
Anyway, they planned a really short appearance for Freddie almost not worth all that effort.

Oh well, maybe next time :D

This is the video and no, I can't see anything :no:

It was a brief moment when it was supposed to happen. At the end of Bohemian Rhapsody, his voice was heard singing the last line. Brian was on stage as he performed with the cast and as he was playing the final chords of the song looking towards something, somewhere, the place Freddie was supposed to appear, Freddie was heard singing the last line, "anyway the wind blows".

The illusion didn't properly work apparently. It was only a brief moment, if you blinked you surely missed it. That's not how it was supposed to happen though, but due to some technical problems (not the only one of the night) the illusion didn't really happen.

There's a video from the performance recorded by someone from the audience. http://queenonline.com/en/news-archive/wwry-10th-anniversary-report/

Not really worth watching since 'illusion' was very brief and you can't really see it in the vid, so yeah, nothing impressive.

Like I said, something was gonna go wrong, and it did.

Let's put it this way, Freddie "was a bit shy". I mean, it's been over 20 years since he performed on a stage, you have to understand him. :lol:

lol, Freddie is the antonym of shyness :D

Back