The 'new'songs information thread

Tony R

Proud Member
If possible, I'd like a thread that has all the known facts of all the recently found material, the stuff on Michael and the stuff that should have been.

For example, when were these songs recorded?

1. Hold My Hand
2. Hollywood Tonight
3. Keep Your Head Up
4. I Like The Way You Love Me
5. Monster
6. Best Of Joy
7. Breaking News
8. I Can't Make It Another Day
9. Behind The Mask
10. Much Too Soon
11. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
12. Slave To The Rhythm
13. Blue Gangsta

I'm sure all the info is on the board somewhere but is lost amongst everything else. Any help appreciated with information on these songs and any others post Invincible I've left out.

"Hold My Hand" is a duet between the American recording artist Michael Jackson and Senegalese-American singer-songwriter Akon taken from Jackson's first posthumous release, Michael. The song was originally recorded by Akon and Jackson in 2008 and was set to be the first single from Akon's 2008 album, Freedom. Akon recorded additional vocals for the song in 2010.

Co-writer Claude Kelly told HitQuarters that "Hold my hand" was originally written with Whitney Houston in mind. Akon and Kelly had been in the studio working on songs for Houston's I Look to You album and while on his own Kelly completed the song from a track Akon had left. After hearing the song later, Akon said that he loved it and wanted to keep it for himself, so he recorded his own version of it. Shortly afterwards Akon went to Las Vegas to work on what would have been Michael Jackson's next album. While there Jackson heard the song and loved it, and decided he wanted to contribute to it. When Kelly was asked what he thought it was about the song that struck a chord with both Akon and Jackson, he said that it was the song's theme of friendship and togetherness. "Hold My Hand" was recorded by Jackson and Akon in 2008. Akon finished the rest of his vocals for the song in 2010, a few days before the release. A handwritten note from Jackson belonging to his Estate indicated his desire that “Hold My Hand” be the first single on his next project. However, in its unfinished state, the song leaked out in 2008. This would be the last new song leaked during Jackson's lifetime. Due to the leak, the song was subsequently pulled from Akon's track listing for his 2008 album, Freedom.

1. "Hold My Hand" (featuring Akon)
Writers: Akon,Giorgio Tuinfort, Claude Kelly
Producers Mchael Jackson*, Akon, Tuinfort
Length 3:32
*Co-producer

Behind the mask
from Wikipedia:
Quincy Jones heard Yellow Magic Orchestra’s version during the Thriller sessions, and brought it to Michael Jackson, Michael had recorded the song, adding an extra melody line and a few extra lyrics. Legal battles prevented the song to be released on Jackson's sixth studio album, Thriller, and remained unreleased for over 20 years.[6]

The keyboardist of Yellow Magic Orchestra, and the writer of the song Ryuichi Sakamoto, re-recorded the song in 1987 with Michael Jackson's additional lyrics and lead vocals by Bernard Fowler.

“Behind the Mask" was a single from Michael Jackson's keyboardist Greg Phillinganes's 1985 album Pulse. Phillinganes first met Michael and his brothers during the sessions for the Jacksons’ Destiny album in 1978, and went on to serve as musical director for Michael’s Bad World Tour.[6]

Other versions
Eric Clapton had recorded a cover version for his studio album August, on which Greg Phillinganes played keyboards and sang backing vocals, the song was released as a single, and hit No.15 in the UK on January 17, 1987. [18]

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_Mask_(song)

From memory, the recording dates (excluding reworked parts and overdubs added recently)...

1. Hold My Hand - November 2007
2. Hollywood Tonight - first recorded for Invincible but reworked in 2007 with Neff-U
3. Keep Your Head Up - recorded in New Jersey between July-November 2007
4. I Like The Way You Love Me - recorded in 2000
5. Monster - recorded in New Jersey between July-November 2007
6. Best Of Joy - recorded in Los Angeles in 2009
7. Breaking News - recorded in New Jersey between July-November 2007
8. I Can't Make It Another Day - recorded in 2000
9. Behind The Mask - recorded in 1982
10. Much Too Soon - written in 1981, re-recorded in 1994 during the very early stages of HIStory sessions at the Hit Factory
11. Do You Know Where Your Children Are? - written and recorded in 1990
12. Slave To The Rhythm - reportedly recorded between 1998-2002
13. Blue Gangsta - recorded for Invincible

From memory, the recording dates (excluding reworked parts and overdubs added recently)...

2. Hollywood Tonight - first recorded for Invincible but reworked in 2007 with Neff-U
10. Much Too Soon - written in 1981, re-recorded in 1994 during the very early stages of HIStory sessions at the Hit Factory

That's what I wanted! Thanks a bundle.

Gee where did you get that list from? lol

Back