The new Jim Carrey movie (The Christmas Carol)

Disney executive quits as 'A Christmas Carol' does disappointing business

LOS ANGELES — Another executive at The Walt Disney Co.'s movie studio is exiting hurriedly as the company's troubles continue at the box office with a weak opening for "A Christmas Carol."

Mark Zoradi, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Group and the head of worldwide marketing for all Disney, Pixar, Touchstone and Disneynature movies, said Monday he is stepping down immediately.

No successor was named.

Zoradi's move came after the 3-D remake of the classic Christmas tale starring Jim Carrey opened to $30.1 million at the weekend box office in the U.S. and Canada.

With an estimated $175 million production budget and a marketing campaign that involved a 40-city train tour, Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz says he expects it to lose $50 million to $100 million.

Last month, Disney named Rich Ross as chairman of its movie studios, following a year of disappointing movie results and the abrupt departure of its former chief, Dick Cook.

Disney's studio revenue has fallen in each of the last five quarters, sinking from $1.82 billion in the March quarter of 2008 to $1.26 billion in the quarter ended in June this year.

The studio also posted a $12 million operating loss in the June quarter, down from a $97 million operating profit last year.

Disney reports its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings on Thursday.

http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2009/11/disney_executive_quits_as_a_ch.html

Disney executive quits as 'A Christmas Carol' does disappointing business

LOS ANGELES — Another executive at The Walt Disney Co.'s movie studio is exiting hurriedly as the company's troubles continue at the box office with a weak opening for "A Christmas Carol."

Mark Zoradi, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures Group and the head of worldwide marketing for all Disney, Pixar, Touchstone and Disneynature movies, said Monday he is stepping down immediately.

No successor was named.

Zoradi's move came after the 3-D remake of the classic Christmas tale starring Jim Carrey opened to $30.1 million at the weekend box office in the U.S. and Canada.

With an estimated $175 million production budget and a marketing campaign that involved a 40-city train tour, Cowen & Co. analyst Doug Creutz says he expects it to lose $50 million to $100 million.

Last month, Disney named Rich Ross as chairman of its movie studios, following a year of disappointing movie results and the abrupt departure of its former chief, Dick Cook.

Disney's studio revenue has fallen in each of the last five quarters, sinking from $1.82 billion in the March quarter of 2008 to $1.26 billion in the quarter ended in June this year.

The studio also posted a $12 million operating loss in the June quarter, down from a $97 million operating profit last year.

Disney reports its fiscal fourth-quarter earnings on Thursday.

http://blog.al.com/entertainment-press-register/2009/11/disney_executive_quits_as_a_ch.html
It's probably isn't doing that well because there's a billion other versions of this story. There's movies, books, cartoons, and many television shows has used it as a plot.

I heard it's fantastic...I love Disney's Mickey's Christmas Carol too that comes on every year

yeah I am kind of excited about this movie...I am not much of a Jim Carry fan..but...I think he plays excellent Christmas characters.....I love the Grinch..:lmao:......I also watched The Christmas Story...yesterday...although he is not in this movie..I guess I just needed a little tast of Christmas..:lmao:

Seen it twice in 3D. It's not for children for those who are planning to take children to it. Took a 10yo & she didn't understand it & was scared as were other children around the same age & younger.
It's actually not that great. Most of the movie is just flying over London.

Seen it twice in 3D. It's not for children for those who are planning to take children to it. Took a 10yo & she didn't understand it & was scared as were other children around the same age & younger.
It's actually not that great. Most of the movie is just flying over London.

I was thinking of taking my 7 and 11 year old boys to see it on Sunday.
I thought it wouldn't be scary as its a family film.

That's what I thought it would be a family movie. Trust me it's not for children.
Up is better for children.
The problem is in the trailers for A Christmas Carol it shows all the nice parts but it's only like that for about half of the movie. Some parts are really nice for children but then there other parts which would give children the creeps.
Astroboy was better

Its probably not doing as well because people dont want to see a Christmas film this early...............

I cant wait to see it. But wont see it until after December 1st!

I went to see this and I loved it!! It's my second fav 3D movie. :D I felt a bit sad after because MJ won't be here for xmas :cry: When the movie was about to start, on the screen it said "Please put on your 3D glasses and "2000 Watts" popped up in my head!!! :D

This was incredible in 3D! I was in awe. Id recommend it to anyone!

I love Jim Carrey but I'll be waiting 'til it starts to snow here in ice cold Sweden before I see this movie.

Back