The new album should be given away as part of a magazine package deal

MattyJam

Guests
Sony and the estate should consider releasing the new album in the same way Slash has recently released his. For those who don't know, you can buy Slash's album with a special Classic Rock fan magazine for £14.99. The magazine is entirely dedicated to Slash and is widely available in both music stores and newsagents.

This would be a great idea for Michael's new album for many reasons:

* Record stores are dying out and most people just download albums these days. By releasing it with a magazine it would put the album on the shelves of stores which would otherwise never usually stock music releases, thus increasing it's sales potential.

* It helps make the album feel like an "event" because it's something different.

* It would be an excellent package for the fans.

The magazine could have a track by track review detailing the history of each track, interviews with the producers, pictures from the recording sessions.

What do you guys think?

I think this album will be an "event" even without a magazine.

I think this album will be an "event" even without a magazine.

True, but why not go the extra mile?

Sure, they could just release it in record stores like every other album and no doubt it will sell a truckload, because it's Michael.

But the exposure of a magazine deal is great. Here in the UK, you can buy Slash's album in your local cornershop, you can buy it on a train station, you can buy it in a garage, you can buy it in a supermarket.

From a marketing perspective, how can that not be a good idea??

Last edited:
I think the release will be original, not that this isn't a good idea. But sony will want to WOW people and I think they will do something on a much bigger scale, I could imagine HIStory statues, and lots more !!

I don't know. Its an interesting idea but this is going to be HUGE event and will attract a ton of people. Stores like HMV etc are foaming at the mouth about it. I find the idea of being able to buy an album in a petrol station a bit tacky to be honest. This is Michael Jackson and the promotion is going to be huge. I don't want to be able to pop into my local Shell garage and buy it with a magazine.

I think the release will be original, not that this isn't a good idea. But sony will want to WOW people and I think they will do something on a much bigger scale, I could imagine HIStory statues, and lots more !!

I hope so. MJ hasn't had any new material properly promoted by his label since 1995. It's long overdue.

Back