The most magical moments for under-fives on Youtube

Rhilo

Proud Member
No major Michael story, but cute nonetheless. It's awesome that Michael's first Moonwalk and Motown 25 performance continues to enthrall kids decades after it aired. He is truly eternal...

The Muppets: top 10 YouTube clips for young children

From The Muppets to the Moonwalk, father of three Jake Wallis-Simons has tried and tested the most magical moments for under-fives on YouTube.

<!-- remove the whitespace added by escenic before end of tag -->By Jake Wallis-Simons

1:00PM GMT 08 Feb 2012

Like most of the UK&#8217;s under-fives, our three have always had a daily allowance of CBeebies and DVDs. Recently, however, this has changed. One day, after trying &#8211; and failing &#8211; to demonstrate a Moonwalk, I went to YouTube and showed them that famous clip of Michael Jackson performing the move for the first time in 1983. They were enthralled, and watched in silence. Then they begged to watch it again. When they had seen it four or five times, they began to dance their little hearts out.

This experience led my wife and I to use YouTube to introduce the little &#8216;uns to everything from Fred Astaire to the Muppets. It&#8217;s much more stimulating than CBeebies. They love it.

Here, then, are our children&#8217;s top ten favourite YouTube clips of all time.

1. Mahna Mahna

2. Singing' in the rain

3. Laurel and Hardy pie fight

4. Michael Jackson &#8211; his first performance of the Moonwalk
<OBJECT width="460" height="288"></OBJECT>
It is a little known fact that the King of Pop did not invent this move. It had already been performed by the likes of Marcel Marceau, Dick Van Dyke, David Bowie and others. Michael Jackson made it famous, however, starting with this performance on Motown 25 in 1983. Tip: get the kids to remove their shoes before viewing.

5. Hugga Wugga

Rest of the top 10, and article available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-top-10-YouTube-clips-for-young-children.html

That is very cute. I, however, did not know that David and Dick Van Dyke had done the Moonwalk before Michael. Interesting...!

Back