The Michael Jackson: Who's Bad!

TheChosenOne

Proud Member
I've been thinking alot about Xscape and the press coverage and success it has received. And that I got me thinking about the brand that is Michael Jackson.

I have been a fan a long time and I remember the times (no pun intended) when whoever was 'hot and happening' at that time had advice about how Michael could be 'hot and happening' again. Oh, he just needs to dress normal, talk normal, not hang out with children, stop being so weird. Everybody and their grandma had a solution for Michael 'hot and happening' problem!

What always amused me about those entertainers was that they had never achieved half of what Michael achieved in his life. And their brand could not bring in the kind of money that Michael’s did and does.

Let us call a spade a spade!

Michael created an image and a brand that is instantly recognisable around the world (except perhaps for North Korea). His dress, his moves, his voice, his style were iconic. He moved through each phase of his career with a frightening sense of purpose, strengthening the iconography of his work and his brand in the process. He had a sense of self-belief that must have annoying to alot of people. But that is a different essay for a different time.

Back to my point ...

Michael Jackson started out as a teen heartthrob. Much like Donny Osmond.

But Donny Osmond has not been able to have a top ten single in each of the last five decades.

Michael Jackson was a part of a glorious triumvirate in the 80s that included Prince and Madonna.

The latter two have never been accused of child molestation, gone on trial and then four years later sell out the O2 arena FIFTY times. If I remember correctly, I was at a Girls Aloud concert at the O2 and the banner ads advertised for tickets for Madonna’s tour while for Michael it was about congratulating on already selling out his shows!

None of the entertainers that the media have touted as heirs to the throne – Usher, JT, CB or JB – have created a video or live performance that is iconic, instantly recognizable all around the world. They have never had that moment when the whole world was in awe of what they could do and breathlessly waiting to find out what they will do next. Yes, they were/are popular. But there is no sense of wonder about they can do.

And I do laugh at the rappers who want to throw shade at Michael. I laugh at them because a show in tribute to Michael outsold their tours!

Even in death, people still want what Michael Jackson had to offer. And that is because people know that Michael was exceptionally talented. Exceptionally. And that he did bind his soul to his work, because there is an authenticity there that cannot be faked. Michael was the real deal.The general public knows that Michael shared a very special communion with them and they are willing to spend money to continue to share in that communion.

To that I say “who’s bad?”

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. It is all a testament to his unique talent which he worked on relentlessly. He remained individualistic to the end, and never compromised in spite of it all. You bring to mind the guidelines he wrote down for himself about what he wanted to do, which was discovered when 60 minutes had that interview with Branca. Here is someone, who from a young age made a plan for immortality, you can say, and stuck to it. He planned his success. That is why I laugh at those like Donny who like to claim that it could just as well be them, as though Michael's success and icon status is a work of chance.

We will continue to have the quasi friends, acquaintances, & opportunists write the nasty books, speak ill of him in the media, & file false allegations based on fabricated evidence. Yet such people and their actions cannot prevent Michael's continued success beyond the grave as is witnessed by the Michael related courses in universities, his impact on fashion & other artists, his shows that are raking in millions, his global fans who continue to fight for him and remember him with thousands of flowers each year, and his ability to continue to break records in the industry. Therefore, we should ask all those who wanted to give Michael advice, "who should REALLY give advice to whom?" Then, we send them a copy of Xscape and a list of Xscape's position on the charts.

I often wonder what more this man would have achieved if he was not firstly abused, bullied, and persecuted by the press. Yet, look at what he accomplished through all the attacks, pain, and suffering.

I was thinking the same thing too, about the songs he would have created if he had been allowed to live his life. I wonder what we missed out on, after the first set of allegations. But then I also think we may not have got Childhood, Is It Scary? and we definitely would not have got Stranger In Moscow.

For me, Dangerous showed the world that Michael was a creative force to be reckoned with, without the assistance of Quincy Jones. It was another emphatic statement of independence and direction.

I will always wonder what could have been ...

Yes. He had much, much more to offer, but I take solace in the fact that we can enjoy some of his treasures through projects like Xscape and maybe the estate will continue some of the projects he wanted to do when he was alive. Like all the greats that have gone before us, he remains as you say still Bad. Death did not Still or Confine him, since he still reigns on.

Such a great post! Damn, you hit all the points you needed to wonderfully.

MJ put so much time and love and care and just flat out dedication into his work... it's truly an art.

I wholeheartedly agree, MJ is the greatest of all time! And there will never be anyone bigger, better, or greater!

^^ Thanks!

All I need to do now is figure how to change the title. It was supposed thread "The Michael Jackson Brand: Who's Bad".

Sigh. Can't seem to figure out how to do it.

^^ Thanks!

All I need to do now is figure how to change the title. It was supposed thread "The Michael Jackson Brand: Who's Bad".

Sigh. Can't seem to figure out how to do it.

You cannot change the title, only mods can do it. PM to any of the mods, they'll change it for you.

That is why I laugh at those like Donny who like to claim that it could just as well be them, as though Michael's success and icon status is a work of chance.

Maybe I'm missing something but I never heard Donny claim it could have been him. That would be Jermaine. LOL.

Maybe I'm missing something but I never heard Donny claim it could have been him. That would be Jermaine. LOL.

Yeah it was the red hair Donny, not the Osmonds. Maybe I am spelling his name wrong with the "O" and it should be Danny. The one from the Patridge family show. He was in some interview saying he saw Michael in a limo during Thriller times and Michael rolled down the window and said hi how you doing. Michael rolled away in the car and he told the interviewer something about it could have been him and blah, blah. Actually I heard other people say it could have just as well been them, but I just can't remember their names. It is usually some guy from the 70s.

Yes. He had much, much more to offer, but I take solace in the fact that we can enjoy some of his treasures through projects like Xscape and maybe the estate will continue some of the projects he wanted to do when he was alive. Like all the greats that have gone before us, he remains as you say still Bad. Death did not Still or Confine him, since he still reigns on.

My feeling too.

Back