The Michael Jackson Fan Handbook, First Post Updated

Moonstreet

Proud Member
Country
Ireland
It shouldnt have to come to this but here we are.

In the next year, theres going to a be a lot more people in the fan community due to the Biopic.

Not everyone will be a fan, not everyone will be who they pretend to be.

But to help the new people understand our community, lets make a Michael Jackson Fan Handbook.

This can be anything you think a new fan or a new to the community person should know. Lets get real basic, internet etiquette, Michal Jackson fan etiquette, how to behave in a fan community, things about Michael that people should know, music they should listen to, books they should read, who is a reputable person regarding information, and anything and everything you wish you knew when you were starting out.

I'll update this first post with everyone's suggestions :)

The Need To Know Basic Information

General Information

• RAGE BAITING. This is where people , mainly on social media, but in many other places deliberately post something negative about Michael, with the main reason to bait fans to engage. Many are monetized, so the more fans engage, get outraged, have a back and forth, click onto websites, view social media posts, watch videos etc. etc., the more the person makes. They don't care about Michael, they don't care about the truth, all they care about is making money. They know that the fans will swarm and they just sit back and watch the money roll in.
  • Listen to the albums in the original song order, the way Michael wanted fans to hear his music. He put the songs in a specific order for a reason, he used the track listings a way to tell a story.
Must Read Books
  • Moonwalk : Michael Jackson Autobiography, original published by Doubleday 1988, reissued 2009
  • Dancing The Dream : Book of short stories and poems by Michael Jackson, original published by Doubleday 1992, reissued by Transworld 2009
  • Michael Jackson The Visual Documentary: Adrian Grant, Omnibus Press; 5th Edition 2009. A day by day, year by year factual book about Michaels life, written by Adrian Grant and authorized and acknowledged by Michael. Starts with the Jackson family tree and Michaels birth and ends in 2009.
  • My Family, the Jacksons: Katherine Jackson Published 1990. Autobiography where Katherine details her early life, meeting and marrying Joseph, the early days of the family in Gary, Indiana and the move to California.
  • You Are Not Alone: Michael, Through a Brother’s Eyes: Jermaine Jackson Published by HarperCollins 2012.
  • La Toya: Growing Up in the Jackson Family : LaToya Jackson Autobiography 1992
  • Starting Over : LaToya Jackson Updated Autobiography 2012
  • A Life for L.O.V.E. : Brigitte Bloemen, Marina Dobler,, Miriam Lohr 2013- A collection of first hand accounts by people who knew Michael which focusses on his charitable and humanitarian accomplishments.
  • Redemption: The Truth Behind the Michael Jackson Child Molestation Allegations: Geraldine Hughes 2004. First hand behind the scenes account by one of the paralegals who worked on the case.
  • Michael Jackson Conspiracy: Aphrodite Jones 2007, Updated 2012 First hand behind the scenes account by a journalist who covered the Santa Maria trial.
Must Watch TV Shows, Films
  • The Making of Thriller : Behind The Scenes of how Michael Jacksons Thriller was made 1983
  • Moonwalker: Michael Jackson feature film 1988
  • The Legend Continues: Documentary 1988
  • Ghosts: Michael Jackson short film 1996
  • Michael Jackson From Motown To Your Town : MTV documentary about the Bad Tour, behind the scenes and so much more
  • Michael Jackson Dangerous Diary : MTV documentary about the Dangerous tour, behind the scenes and so much more
  • Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies : 2 Hour tv special documentary aired in 2003, a compilation of private home movies and interviews with Michael
  • Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 : A live concert DVD released in 2012
  • Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour: A live concert DVD released in 2005
  • History Live Munich : 2010
  • Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever 1983
  • MTV's 10th Anniversary Special 1991
  • The Jacksons An American Dream 1992
  • Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall: Spike Lee Documentary 2016
  • BAD 25 : Spike Lee Documentary 2012
  • Thriller 40 : Nelson George Documentary 2023
Must Listen To Albums
  • Forever, Michael : Motown Records 1975
Must Listen To Songs
  • Stranger In Moscow : HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book 1, released 1995
  • Dear, Michael: Forever, Michael, Motown Records 1975
  • Melodie : Farewell My Summer Love, Motown, released 1984
  • Farewell My Summer Love : Farewell My Summer Love, Motown, released 1984
  • Who Is It: Dangerous, released 1991
  • Man In The Mirror : BAD released 1987
  • Break Of Dawn: Invincible, released 2001
  • Heartbreak Hotel / This Place Hotel : Triumph, Epic Records, released1980
  • I Cant Help It : Off The Wall, released 1979
Who Is A Reputable Source of Information

How To Make Our Community A Better Place

Last edited:
Something I wish new fans understood is RAGE BAITING. This is where people , mainly on social media, but in many other places deliberately post something negative about Michael, with the main reason to bait fans to engage. Many are monetized, so the more fans engage, get outraged, have a back and forth, click onto websites, view social media posts, watch videos etc etc, the more the person makes. They dont care about Michael, they dont care about the truth, all they care about is making money. They know that the fans will swarm and they just sit back and watch the money roll in.

It shouldnt have to come to this but here we are.

In the next year, theres going to a be a lot more people in the fan community due to the Biopic.

Not everyone will be a fan, not everyone will be who they pretend to be.

But to help the new people understand our community, lets make a Michael Jackson Fan Handbook.

This can be anything you think a new fan or a new to the community person should know. Lets get real basic, internet etiquette, Michal Jackson fan etiquette, how to behave in a fan community, things about Michael that people should know, music they should listen to, books they should read, who is a reputable person regarding information, and anything and everything you wish you knew when you were starting out.

I'll update this first post with everyone's suggestions :)

The Need To Know Basic Information

General Information

• RAGE BAITING. This is where people , mainly on social media, but in many other places deliberately post something negative about Michael, with the main reason to bait fans to engage. Many are monetized, so the more fans engage, get outraged, have a back and forth, click onto websites, view social media posts, watch videos etc. etc., the more the person makes. They don't care about Michael, they don't care about the truth, all they care about is making money. They know that the fans will swarm and they just sit back and watch the money roll in.
  • Listen to the albums in the original song order, the way Michael wanted fans to hear his music. He put the songs in a specific order for a reason, he used the track listings a way to tell a story.
Must Read Books

Must Watch TV Shows

Must Listen To Albums

Must Listen To Songs

Who Is A Reputable Source of Information

How To Make Our Community A Better Place
I love that.

i has a question @Moonstreet. You said in the top, "must read books" and "must watch tv shows", are there certain books and tv shows that should be watched to help new fans gain greater knowledge about Michael and what are they if that is the case?

i has a question @Moonstreet. You said in the top, "must read books" and "must watch tv shows", are there certain books and tv shows that should be watched to help new fans gain greater knowledge about Michael and what are they if that is the case?

Yes, there are most definitely books and tv shows new fans should watch. I'll edit the first post and put some in, but also another cool way for new fans to learn about Michael would be to find a tv show or concert where he was the same age as you are now. For example if a new fan is age 20, watch Blame It On The Boogie video which was released in 1978 when Michael was age 20.

Yeah ...if people can get Dancing the Dream maybe to start. ... as Moon has kindly suggested this vital title for supporting M in the first post.
Do get it because it provides an insight to M's mindset as we knew it.

His thoughts as he tried to help this planet, just before everything went not the way it was supposed to i guess.. But he was the only artist out there sticking his neck out for world peace to be honest.
😥💔
He really wore his heart on his sleeve for this .... Other artists weren't doing this ..... His feeling, morals and his beliefs and oh , it's a heartfelt book to me and still very much needed 30 plus years on. To all the new people -Do try to read dtd.
thanks for thread @Moonstreet

Other books I would recommend besides Moonwalk would be Katherine's book, Jermaine's book and both of La Toya's books. Also, the fan-edited version of Shmuley Boteach's book (the one where Shmuley's negative comments were removed), the Glenda tapes and "A Life For L.O.V.E."

As for videos, "Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies" would be at the top of my list. Also, all of his music videos. As for concert footage: Bad tour in Wembley, Dangerous tour in Bucharest, Victory tour in Toronto, History tour in Munich, Motown 25 performance and MTV 10th anniversary performance. The Jacksons An American Dream is also a great watch for a new fan.

Eventually, when you're ready, I'd recommend reading the trial transcripts or the books "Redemption" by Geraldine Hughes and "Conspiracy" by Aphrodite Jones.

Last edited:
This is precious, I think this means so much. You are all so connected with Michael's music but especially with Michael's soul. This is not just being a fan, you are all a true inspiration because I can feel that you all care about him, just like a friend, a brother, a dad, and always still trying to protect him. I'm here to learn and listen, that's why I enjoyed this community, since I was 9 years old in 2009 so I wasn't "here" when he was here too. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Making him proud 🌷

Last edited:
Other books I would recommend besides Moonwalk would be Katherine's book, Jermaine's book and both of La Toya's books. Also, the fan-edited version of Shmuley Boteach's book (the one where Shmuley's negative comments were removed), the Glenda tapes and "A Life For L.O.V.E."

As for videos, "Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies" would be at the top of my list. Also, all of his music videos. As for concert footage: Bad tour in Wembley, Dangerous tour in Bucharest, Victory tour in Toronto, History tour in Munich, Motown 25 performance and MTV 10th anniversary performance. The Jacksons An American Dream is also a great watch for a new fan.

Eventually, when you're ready, I'd recommend reading the trial transcripts or the books "Redemption" by Geraldine Hughes and "Conspiracy" by Aphrodite Jones.
Thanks, first post updated. Im trying to do only official things, so I havent put in the fan-edited version of Shmuley Boteach's book (the one where Shmuley's negative comments were removed) and the Glenda tapes, but people can search for them if they want :)

Must Listen To Songs:
Stranger In Moscow
Dear, Michael
Melodie
Farewell My Summer Love
Who Is It
Man In The Mirror
Break Of Dawn
Heartbreak Hotel
I Cant Help It
Serious Effect

I don't agree people must listen to the albums and songs in the order they were released.

The first album I bought was Invincible in 2001. I bought albums out of order for years as I found them.

If someone wants to Spotify or Amazon Music or Apple Music search MJ and listen to the top hits listed in whatever order so be it.

This is absolutely wonderful and very much needed.

The posthumous world of MJ has become a very political, commerce-before-art and sometimes dark entity that a lot of the time lacks Michael’s true soul and spirit, and reeks of cold, corporate, cash-in projects that lose a little bit of MJ‘s magic dust each time.

That said, although posthumous releases, both the Spike Lee documentary's Michael Jackson‘s Journey From Motown To Off The Wall and Bad25, and the Thriller40 documentary are worth it for the footage of MJ and as companion pieces to those albums.

We need to bring it back to the true essence of who MJ was through his art and humanity and what it actually means to be a fan. We need to restore his artistical value and as well as giving new fans a place where they can begin to truly embrace him, we need to remind ourselves also from time to time why we’re here. Thanks Moonstreet. Great thread.

Must Listen To Songs:
Stranger In Moscow
Dear, Michael
Melodie
Farewell My Summer Love
Who Is It
Man In The Mirror
Break Of Dawn
Heartbreak Hotel
I Cant Help It
Serious Effect

Updated :) thanks, I didnt put in serious effect, as it was a leak and not an official release :)

I don't agree people must listen to the albums and songs in the order they were released.

The first album I bought was Invincible in 2001. I bought albums out of order for years as I found them.

If someone wants to Spotify or Amazon Music or Apple Music search MJ and listen to the top hits listed in whatever order so be it.

But to understand Michael, how he created his work, his art, to understand the times they were created in, its important to hear the music how Michael created it, not how you think it should be.

Streaming random songs online is great for access to Michael, but just listening to top 10 songs for example , you will miss so much of what Michael wanted us to hear. To truly appreciate the craft of music making and what Michael created, the songs on the albums need to be listened to in the official album track list order.

This is absolutely wonderful and very much needed.

The posthumous world of MJ has become a very political, commerce-before-art and sometimes dark entity that a lot of the time lacks Michael’s true soul and spirit, and reeks of cold, corporate, cash-in projects that lose a little bit of MJ‘s magic dust each time.

That said, although posthumous releases, both the Spike Lee documentary's Michael Jackson‘s Journey From Motown To Off The Wall and Bad25, and the Thriller40 documentary are worth it for the footage of MJ and as companion pieces to those albums.

We need to bring it back to the true essence of who MJ was through his art and humanity and what it actually means to be a fan. We need to restore his artistical value and as well as giving new fans a place where they can begin to truly embrace him, we need to remind ourselves also from time to time why we’re here. Thanks Moonstreet. Great thread.
UPDATED and Thank you :)

While the new young fans dont have the trauma we do and are able to have access to so much due to the internet, sometimes I wonder about all the things they dont understand. We had everything in real time, which gave a really intense experience of each era, which led to a huge in depth knowledge of the albums and songs. I just look back at the years I spend listening to Bad and Thriller cassettes on my walkman, as thats all I had. Side one, side two, side one, side two, over and over and over, play pause, play pause line by line on every song to learn the words.

UPDATED and Thank you :)

While the new young fans dont have the trauma we do and are able to have access to so much due to the internet, sometimes I wonder about all the things they dont understand. We had everything in real time, which gave a really intense experience of each era, which led to a huge in depth knowledge of the albums and songs. I just look back at the years I spend listening to Bad and Thriller cassettes on my walkman, as thats all I had. Side one, side two, side one, side two, over and over and over, play pause, play pause line by line on every song to learn the words.
Thank you for sharing this memory 🙏🏻

But to understand Michael, how he created his work, his art, to understand the times they were created in, its important to hear the music how Michael created it, not how you think it should be.

Streaming random songs online is great for access to Michael, but just listening to top 10 songs for example , you will miss so much of what Michael wanted us to hear. To truly appreciate the craft of music making and what Michael created, the songs on the albums need to be listened to in the official album track list order.
I have to disagree on that. Back when I first became a fan, I was a kid so I didn't have money to buy his albums and this was before youtube existed. So I just watched tv music channels and waited for them to show his music videos so I could record them. Then when I could get something for my birthday or for Christmas, I asked my parents to buy me his VHS tapes first, long before I could listen to his albums. I assure you that discovering his songs in this order made the experience no less special for me. I think the first time a new fan discovers Michael's music is always special and a wonderful memorable experience, no matter how it happens. It's okay to start with his top 10 songs first, and then discover hidden gems later on.

I have to disagree on that. Back when I first became a fan, I was a kid so I didn't have money to buy his albums and this was before youtube existed. So I just watched tv music channels and waited for them to show his music videos so I could record them. Then when I could get something for my birthday or for Christmas, I asked my parents to buy me his VHS tapes first, long before I could listen to his albums. I assure you that discovering his songs in this order made the experience no less special for me. I think the first time a new fan discovers Michael's music is always special and a wonderful memorable experience, no matter how it happens. It's okay to start with his top 10 songs first, and then discover hidden gems later on.
You know what, it doesn't really matter. Look at this thread, the sharing of memories, the new fans learning about Michael, everyone coming together, the joy and happiness. THIS is the what our community used to be, lets just keep it going 🌎✨🫶

This sounds so pretentious though.
Like you can't understand Michael Jackson and his music by listening to Billie Jean and Thriller?

This sounds so pretentious though.
Like you can't understand Michael Jackson and his music by listening to Billie Jean and Thriller?
Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.
(sorry, had to look it up. good word tho)
you can, but not as well. There is so much more than just Billie Jean and Thriller. You can understand and feel his pain and anger in This Time around, feel the want to help others in Do you Know Where your Children are (i think that's the name of it), and in so many more songs. Billie Jean and Thriller are great, dont get me wrong, but Michael is more than that. He was Invincible, he was willing to smile through the tears and sorrow and hurt from loved ones passing. You need more than Billie Jean.
Im not good with words, but I bet @Moonstreet has some far superior explanation than i do

Back