the man that helped inspire Quincy Jones to inspire Michael to write 'Beat It', dies

Proud Member
My My My Sharona... The Knack's Doug Fieger Passes

by route66

Share this on Twitter - My My My Sharona... The Knack's Doug Fieger Passes
share-icon-16x16.png

Sun Feb 14, 2010 at 04:28:21 PM PST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Knack lead singer Doug Fieger, who co-wrote the 1979 hit "My Sharona," has died at age 57, the band said on its website on Sunday.
Fieger was living in Woodland Hills, California, and was being treated for cancer, The Detroit News reported.
http://www.nytimes.com/...

The Knack were a key element in the American New Wave music movement in the late seventies and early eighties; My Sharona went to Number 1 on the Billboard charts for six weeks in 1979.... and we still can't get that song out of heads when we hear the lyric....
Contemporaries included Devo, Blondie, The Cars, The Talking Heads, The Go-Go's, The Police, The B-52's... all in all a very rich time period in American Music that preceded tbe grunge Seattle sound...
According to Wikipedia,
Fieger underwent brain surgery in August 2006 to have two tumors removed. In 2006, during a performance in Las Vegas, Doug Fieger became disoriented, developed a dull headache and grasped for the words to songs that he had written and performed for years. Diagnosed with two brain tumors, Fieger underwent surgery and radiosurgery and returned to performing..

that song is the inspiration for 'Beat It'

Crap - one of my favourite songs of all time, "My Sharona".....always reminds me of the bit in "Reality Bites" when they all start rocking out to it in the 7/11......R.I.P. Doug x

Back