The Man From Next Door: A Little Susie Discussion

Severus Snape

Proud Member
I think we all agree that "Little Susie" is an extremely powerful song about a young girl who was brutally murdered. There have been several fan interpretations of the song. There's the one hypothesis about a real Susie existing who was murdered brutally. Then, there's some people's perspective that Susie is in fact Michael. I will be working with the latter interpretation for obvious reasons--it's more abstract, since we are not taking the song's literal meaning, but rather, treating it as a metaphor for Michael's lost childhood.

I must admit that my making this thread was inspired by the "Meaning of 'Susie' in Michael's Songs" thread (lol paraphrasing.) Prior to that thread being created, I never thought much about the significance of the name Susie, or about Little Susie as a song. I always thought it was either based on an actual event, or made up by Michael to be dark and creative. I never gave much thought to the Susie=Michael interpretation...until now.

Something another poster said, actually, really inspired me to look further into LS. That poster was Alma. :D In any case, she said Susie was Michael's inner reflection of himself, killed by neglect, so that the song itself became a symbol of Michael's lost childhood with Susie, the central character, representing Michael. A lot of fans seem to agree with that interpretation. However, my two cents are...

...what if Susie isn't the only reflection of Michael in the song? Next to Susie, The Man From Next Door is the only other character who is given any sort of emotion. The other characters in the story are pretty static. Father leaves, mother dies, grandpa dies, the crowd comes only to observe after Susie has died--thus, being passive and present only after the fact. The crowd obviously represents the world at large, father, mother, and grandpa seem to be nothing more than absent archetypes, missing pieces of an emotional puzzle.

The Man From Next Door, however, is different. He was the only one who knew Little Susie, the only one who mourned her death. He was the one who closed her eyes, who thus brought closure about, with tears in his eyes. My question is...could the man from next door also represent Michael? The adult Michael, looking at his child self, mourning its death and realizing what the meaning of it was. Indeed, if you really think about it, he would be the only one who knew his childhood self like The Man From Next Door knew Little Susie, as we know ourselves best. He always said he felt so alone in his experience, so in the end, he would be the one who would know his childhood self and all its pain, more than anyone else in the world. He would be the one singing the tune as Susie, and knowing the tune and its absence as The Man From Next Door. So, Susie and The Man From Next Door, they seem to be two halves of a whole. When The Man From Next Door mourned Susie's death, he mourned the death of childhood, because Susie in all her innocence represents childhood. The Man From Next Door represents the other half of that, adulthood. He mourns the paradise lost of childhood represented by Little Susie.

So, is it possible that the two are one and the same, seeing the world differently through the same eyes? What are your thoughts on the subject? This is all just my hypothesis, and I have only posted it because I thought it was an interesting thought.

Discuss. :p

Last edited:
Re: The Man From Next Door

I thought he knew susie and that is why he wrote the song but who knows:unsure:

.. I love it, too. Wonderfully profound and very good interpretation of 'the man from next door'. Didn't think of 'him' too much.

I've got shivers down my spine as I'm writing... The song is echoing in the dark, hitting stonewalls. ..The man from the next door does indeed seem to be his adult self mourning his killed childhood, his dwelling apartment right "next" to where she lived seems to indicate that he was close to her, for he was the only one who cried for her.

Feel like I can't type anything more right now, it's too much..

That song has always given me the creeps, especially the picture in the HIStory booklet. I think it was written about a real child who died in these circumstances in the 1970's, at least that is what I have heard in the past.

I am probably way off here but I always assumed The Man From Next Door killed Little Susie and then had an attack of conscience, but I have never listened to the song extensively as I find it too chilling.

^I don't think so. I think the man from next door was the only person in the world who loved Little Susie, since only he knew her. Obviously, the people who showed up at her funeral knew her somehow (they would be barred from entering the crime scene for obvious reasons.) Then, his having a fit of conscience wouldn't make sense with the part about him knowing her--as in, actually knowing who she is, what she dreams of, etc. She had no family, after all, so I think he took the role of parent/friend, if we are to look at it that way.

Alternately, it could be Michael's two halves, his adult and child self.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

Awesome interpretation, I am right there with you. I have heard this song is based both on literary and art references, but also on a current event. Does anyone know about a specific news story that prompted MJ to pick up this song again and finish it? More clues could be there.

Yeah, a specific news story would be an object of interest. I guess it could be a bit of both, since he wouldn't have known details such as the fact that the man from next door was the only one who grieved her death, but the actual events of a girl who was murdered somewhere who had no family could be based on reality.

i thought he was in some country and and saw a picture of that dead girl and hear the story in 1973 and right the lyrics to this song?

^Maybe, but even so, he wouldn't be privy to the inside events surrounding the murder. Even if it was based on an actual event, being the artist he was, he could have incorporated a few details of his own to turn the murder into a symbol. It wouldn't be the first time an event is converted into a symbol because of its significance. Perhaps her murder represented more to him than just a murder.

Back