The long note in YANA - did he really sing it?

fzsky

Proud Member
This may have been discussed before...
I'm talking about the longest note towards the end of You Are Not Alone ( the "You are always, in my heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart" one). I get the feeling that is actually made of three or four duplicated segments of a shorter note,
that they joined the segments together to make a long note.
Same thing happens in Speechless, which I think is apparently several segments combined together. So it made me think, "why does it sound so unnatural in Speechless when they did it much better in YANA? Maybe Michael actually sang that long note, only it sounded like a combined one?"
I'm NOT saying that Michael was unable to hit that long note. I love the song and love his voice. I just want to know how it was recorded and the opinion of you guys.

^^ No, I don't think he held it...it's almost like he took a quick breath and then continued again..

i dont know :no: but i know what you mean because on the history tour you can see him turning his microphone on after that long note :yes: to sing the end :yes:

sometimes, when something defies logic, we might think it can't be done. if you saw him sing his tribute to Elizabeth Taylor, you'd know he can hold a note like that. yes, he holds the note in YANA. i know his talent is so great that people think it's smoke and mirrors at times..but it's talent.

somehthing else that people might want to find, is MJ doing vocal excercises for TII with Seth Riggs. he rises up and up and up, and just when i think he can't go any higher, he does, with ease. that would be for those who think he can't hit those high notes full blast. his voice was always just that good. Seth Riggs ran out of excercises without MJ ever running out of notes. no other singer ever was that impressive.

It can be done :) But I don't know if he would have done it live because it is a challenge... though I guess challenges never stop michael :D

sometimes, when something defies logic, we might think it can't be done. if you saw him sing his tribute to Elizabeth Taylor, you'd know he can hold a note like that. yes, he holds the note in YANA. i know his talent is so great that people think it's smoke and mirrors at times..but it's talent.

somehthing else that people might want to find, is MJ doing vocal excercises for TII with Seth Riggs. he rises up and up and up, and just when i think he can't go any higher, he does, with ease. that would be for those who think he can't hit those high notes full blast. his voice was always just that good. Seth Riggs ran out of excercises without MJ ever running out of notes. no other singer ever was that impressive.

I thought the Seth Rigg exercises on Youtube were done in the 80's...? Do you have a link for the 2009 session?

The Seth Riggs voice training/ excercises are from 1994.

If you guys check out the remix of YANA on the Blood On the Dance Floor album you'll see that the note is held for even longer, four bars, which is kind of ridiculous. Even though this puts doubt in my mind as to whether the original note was real or not, I still believe the original was real, but not the one in the remix obviously.

If you guys check out the remix of YANA on the Blood On the Dance Floor album you'll see that the note is held for even longer, four bars, which is kind of ridiculous. Even though this puts doubt in my mind as to whether the original note was real or not, I still believe the original was real, but not the one in the remix obviously.

That's how I started to doubt if the long note was actually sung, but...

I think it's real, other singers have held similar notes. It sounds too natural to be faked, IMO.

Yes, it sounds too natural to be faked. And the long note in Speechless sounds unnatural to be real.

Merry Christmas, btw.

Back