The Legendary Stevie Wonder to be honored by Library of Congress

troubleman84

Proud Member
Library of Congress to honor Stevie Wonder

2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Library of Congress will honor Stevie Wonder with its second Gershwin Prize for Popular Song.

Librarian of Congress James Billington, who announced the prize Tuesday, noted that the prize honors an artist whose work transcends musical styles to bring diverse listeners together and foster mutual understanding. It recognizes a musician's lifetime of work.

Wonder, 58, will receive the award on Feb. 23, 2009. The first Gershwin Prize was awarded in 2007 to Paul Simon.

Self-taught on piano, harmonica and other instruments, Steveland Morris was just 12 when he first wowed national TV audiences on shows like Dick Clark's "American Bandstand." He was "Little Stevie Wonder" back then, a name he says someone at Motown Records — he can't remember exactly who — came up with.

From his earliest days as a prodigy covering Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" through such songs of his own as "You Are the Sunshine of My Life," "My Cherie Amour" and "Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours," his music has sought to uplift and inform as well as entertain.

Among his albums: "Talking Book," "Innervisions," "Fulfillingness First Finale" and "Songs in the Key of Life," the last of which included his classic single "Love in Need of Love Today."

that's great, he's been a living legend for 30-odd years now. and i think only a few months ago, Thriller was honoured as a 'cultural treasure' by the same library.

that's great, he's been a living legend for 30-odd years now.
and i think only a few months ago, Thriller was honoured as a 'cultural treasure'
by the same library.
^Yep, back in May. :)

I think its been more like 40 some odd years.

Like MJ, Stevie has well earned this honor.
Congratulations!!

40-odd years it is.
f_smiley.gif

Congrats Stevie! He's one of few artists that no other artists can be jealous of when it comes to being awarded.
an artist's artist.

Stevie's first number one single was 45 years ago. Amazing to think about. I'm really glad I got into Stevie. I remember just knowing him for his braids, gigantic smile and his muzak hits like "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "For Your Love". Then I somehow came across "Jesus Children Of America" and if it wasn't for the recognizable voice, I would've swore this was an entirely different Stevie Wonder... it was so funky it was amazing.

His influence runs deep. This award is fitting because his concerts literally inspire complete strangers to dance with each other in the aisles and hug each other and shake hands when it's over.

Last edited:
Yeah Stevie's been a legend since he first shouted "EVERYBODY SAY YEAH!" on "Fingertips" when he was 12 years old! :lol:

And he's almost 60 now. All hail the Wonder Man. :)

Stevie's first number one single was 45 years ago. Amazing to think about. I'm really glad I got into Stevie. I remember just knowing him for his braids, gigantic smile and his muzak hits like "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "For Your Love". Then I somehow came across "Jesus Children Of America" and if it wasn't for the recognizable voice, I would've swore this was an entirely different Stevie Wonder... it was so funky it was amazing.

His influence runs deep. This award is fitting because his concerts literally inspire complete strangers to dance with each other in the aisles and hug each other and shake hands when it's over.

Stevie Wonder has had so many transformations and reinventions, it's hard to pinpoint where one era ends and another begins.

He's been:
1.) A multi-talented child prodigy.
2.) A teen idol.
3.) A top-selling Motown crooner of the '60s alongside Marvin.
4.) A musical visionary after the release of Music of My Mind in 1972.
5.) A Grammy-winning rock superstar.
6.) A social activist.
7.) A pop mega star.
8.) A music legend before reaching 40 (he was inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame before his 39th birthday!)
9.) A treasure before 50 (got the Kennedy Center Honor at 49!)
10.) Now an elder statesman of popular music.

:D

Ah, I love Stevie Wonder....
I often even feel too young to like his music, then I think," damn, why don't I listen to groups like '3 doors down', 'muse',... like most people I know.... I just dont like them, that's why!!!"
LOL, I even made a Stevie Wonder drawing a few days ago:

My current favourite Stevie Wonder song is 'These three words' :yes:

Congrats to Stevie!!!

It's always great to see one of the true artists get the credit they deserve

Last year's honoree was Paul Simon, probably the more prominent half of "Simon and Garfunkel". Stevie was there to honor him as well. Here they are doing "Love Me Like a Rock" with the Dixie Hummingbirds:

Back