47. The Smiths
48. ABBA
49. Dusty Springfield
50. Teddy Pendergrass
51. Oasis
52. Curtis Mayfield
53. The Byrds
54. ZZ Top
55. Gerald Levert (Oh, they gave him one after he died)
56. Barry White
57. New Edition
58. Vanessa Williams
59. Frankie Beverly & Maze
60. The Supremes
61. The Four Tops
62. Jackie Wilson
63. The Four Tops
64. Minnie Riperton
65. Spice Girls
66. Jackson 5
67. The Dramatics

Meanwhile:

Beyoncé - 17 Grammys
Jay-Z - 17 Grammys
Eminem - 13 Grammys
Rihanna - 7 Grammys
Taylor Swift - 7 Grammys
Justin Timberlake - 6 Grammys
Lady Gaga - 5 Grammys

What a joke!

what the..? Queen? Led Zeppelin? DIANA ROSS ?! and this gaga woman has em? I am deeply, deeply saddened with this.

BTW... Kenye West won 21 Grammys, BUT Jackson5 won 1 Grammy! A

But where is Michael?
Full lists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_records

U2 won 22 and Springsteen 20? Jeez. Springsteen was such a critics' darling back in the 80s...

I see Kanye has 21 Grammys. Jesus! These are the things which make the Grammys totally ridiculous and lose value.

Michael won 13 regular Grammys, a Lifetime Achievement Grammy and a Legend Grammy. I really think after 1984 they got scared that he was becoming "too big" and stepped on the brakes and he was deliberately ignored at Grammys. Actually already in 1984 I was puzzled how either Billie Jean or Beat It didn't win for Best Short Form Video. Though Thriller won for Best Long Form Video. I watched the 1984 Grammys in full a couple of weeks ago and they talked about how music video was a new medium. Most of the videos up for nomination were comical by today's standards. But Michael was so ahead of his time! All of his videos stand the test of time and they are still as enjoyable as back then. But they gave the award for Short Form videos to some Duran Duran video and I could not help thinking it was because they did not want Michael to win everything that night. Even though he won 8 Grammys that night, I thought he could/should have deservedly win even more.

Last edited:
After reading the list of who didn't receive Grammy, I started wondering why Grammy is given to people :doh:
The world is gone bonkers!

The Record for Most Grammys won in one night is eight. Michael Jackson won eight in 1984 and Santana tied Jackson's record in 2000 :)

Non-winners

The Grammys didn't really do hard rock, prog, or metal, so Led Zeppelin and Rush wouldn't have been qualified anyway. Led Zeppelin was nominated for "Best New Artist" though. I think punk rock was mostly a UK thing, and maybe underground in the US, and the Grammys are mainly about popular mainstream acts, so I don't understand why The Ramones would get an award. There was briefly a "Best Disco" category during that time in the late 1970's. I don't think reggae was a category until the mid 1980's, and Bob Marley was dead by then. There wasn't a heavy metal award until the late 1980's and Jethro Tull won it, and they're not really metal. :rofl: The rap category came about after Run DMC's mainstream popularity was starting to wane.

I agree. That list says a lot. And even names that are not in it may not have gotten the recognition they deserved. One of James Brown's 3 Grammy Awards was the Best Liner Notes award, for instance. :doh:

I have never really taken the Grammy's seriously, though they did carry more gravitas in the past than today. Like the Oscars, I feel they are very narrow-focused and hype-sensitive. I think awards are often handed out to acts that happen to be very hyped at the time and also to artists the NARAS feels 'deserve' an award, regardless of quality. You often see that, even among artists I think are truly great, they did not win Grammy's for their best work. That just goes to show factors beyond artistic quality, such as hype and status play a very significant part in it, just like it does with the Oscars.

I think Michael became a victim of that too. Except for Thriller, which I think actually deserved the many awards it got when you consider the competition (and you are right, probably deserved more than it got), he got relatively little recognition. Off The Wall was ignored and, as we all know, the critics started to trash him after Thriller. He got a few nominations after that (although, for instance, Dangerous as an album did not get any) and won a few awards, mainly in the short film realm, but never really received the accolades he deserved.

U2 won 22 and Springsteen 20? Jeez. Springsteen was such a critics' darling back in the 80s...
I don't disagree that Springsteen was and is a critics' darling (among the Rolling Stone type mags, who give albums his fans almost universally agree are weak the same 5 stars they give his masterpieces), but he actually only won 2 of his Grammy's in the 80s, and only one during the hyped Born in the USA era. This is another example of the point I mentioned above: he won 18 of his 20 Grammy's in the 90s and 00s, even though both fans and critics would agree he did his best work in the 70s.

Last edited:
Grammys suck, but some of you guys should get schooled.

The rappers won a lot in the RAP categories. Some in the major ones, but mostly their respective categories.

Also, there are much more categories than there were back when a lot of these artists were in their prime.

Also, why fault the artist? They didn't chose to win an award. Hate the dumb grammy committee.

Back