The Jam short film is very underrated

analogue

Proud Member
From the Dangerous era the Black Or White and Remember The Time short films get alot of praise and attention (Like they should) but for me Jam has always been the best short film from the Dangerous era. It's hard for me to explain why but i've always enjoed the vibe from it and i think it has a cool 90's feel to it. When i watch it i always think ''Yeah, this was the 90's'', and yeah alot of people might see that has a bad thing and look at the video has being outdated, but the 90's retro feel only adds to the charm of it i think.

The short film for Jam needs more love

Not by me.
I watch Jam pretty often actually. More often than WII and ITC.
I love the parts when MJ's dancing in that abandoned place :)

Last edited:
One of my absolute favorite Michael tunes. Love the interaction with Michael Jordan too. Michael singing in silhouette. Timeless.

I always find the Jam short film fun to watch. It's nice to see Michael chilling and having fun.

Dr. Willa Stillwater wrote an interesting piece on Jam in her book, M Poetica. I overlooked the message in Jam before reading her book.

In the Jam short film, we see how music and arts can liberate and energize people. At the beginning, there are grim settings and sad faces, then music starts to play, we see dullness turns into light.

It's a great short film.

Possibly my favourite (this or Smoorh Criminal). This is what I wrote in my Dangerous - The Short Films Review:

I'm going to plump for possibly the best Michael Jackson video ever. Jam. Once again, the video just matches the song perfectly. The guest stars are back, Heavy D (fair enough – he's in the song), Michael Johnson (fair enough – fits with the basketball imagery of the song) and Kriss Kross (Fair enough – because….you have to ….erm…Jump to play basketball…y-e-s that's it). The video like the song smashes into life with the basket-globe-ball smashing through a window to be kicked along a street as the songs just grabs you. I adore Jam, I think it's by far Michael's funkiest ever number. It's impossible to sit still to, it's fun, it's dynamic, it won't let go of you and the video represents all that. Mike's chorography once again is spellbounding. He looks great. He's funny. This is the Michael Jackson I love. The one that enthuses you, gives you a lust for life, makes you wanna sing and makes you wanna dance. It's also his most believable 'street' video and is brilliantly shot.

love is magical;3593760 said:
I always find the Jam short film fun to watch. It's nice to see Michael chilling and having fun.

Dr. Willa Stillwater wrote an interesting piece on Jam in her book, M Poetica. I overlooked the message in Jam before reading her book.

In the Jam short film, we see how music and arts can liberate and energize people. At the beginning, there are grim settings and sad faces, then music starts to play, we see dullness turns into light.

It's a great short film.

The message in Jam's lyrics seem so much more REAL to me now then it did back then. The words are so true to the essence of the times that we are living in now.

Tony R;3593949 said:
Possibly my favourite (this or Smoorh Criminal). This is what I wrote in my Dangerous - The Short Films Review:

I'm going to plump for possibly the best Michael Jackson video ever. Jam. Once again, the video just matches the song perfectly. The guest stars are back, Heavy D (fair enough – he's in the song), Michael Johnson (fair enough – fits with the basketball imagery of the song) and Kriss Kross (Fair enough – because….you have to ….erm…Jump to play basketball…y-e-s that's it). The video like the song smashes into life with the basket-globe-ball smashing through a window to be kicked along a street as the songs just grabs you. I adore Jam, I think it's by far Michael's funkiest ever number. It's impossible to sit still to, it's fun, it's dynamic, it won't let go of you and the video represents all that. Mike's chorography once again is spellbounding. He looks great. He's funny. This is the Michael Jackson I love. The one that enthuses you, gives you a lust for life, makes you wanna sing and makes you wanna dance. It's also his most believable 'street' video and is brilliantly shot.

:bow: You said it all.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's incredibly underrated. It's in my opinion one of the best, if not THE best he ever did. Probably after Smooth Criminal, I mean, how can you beat that one. But Jam might as well be the second most well done MJ video.

The song is great, and the video is a true masterpiece, no doubt about it!

Jam is my personal favorite song off the Dangerous album!!!Maybe it's because I love up-tempo songs that lift your mood right up!!!! : )

And I agree!!!!The video is heavily underrated!!!It's simply AWESOME and trully grasps the energy of the song!!!!

It's fast-paced,humourous,energetic,and Michalel's free-style dance OH MY!!!

It's always such a pleasure to watch!

With all the popping Michael has done on stage it always bugged me how JAM is the only video that he really does any.. Though there is not ONE video I dislike of Mikes, it's really great to see some i Jam

director did a good job on this one, the shots are amazing and the film does have a great 90s feel to it, sums up the album perfect for that era.

Back