The Jackson 5 - 'Big Boy'

Zakk

Proud Member
This is my favorite Jackson 5 song i have ever heard, his truly artistic genius shines through each of the harmonies that flow through his gifted Vocal Chords. In my opinion, nothing have or will ever come close. Michael was 9 years old when he recorded this & it was the first song released that he was ever featured on.

I think your just saying that because it's his first recording. If this was some random recording on any other Jackson 5 album I don't think you'd be saying the same. Are you really telling me something like 'the love you save' and 'i wanna be where you are' (which is arguably the most vocally strong j track) don't come close?

I think your just saying that because it's his first recording. If this was some random recording on any other Jackson 5 album I don't think you'd be saying the same. Are you really telling me something like 'the love you save' and 'i wanna be where you are' (which is arguably the most vocally strong j track) don't come close?

the rawness of his voice, the emotion he portrays with each line of the song.. it's seriously stunning. first time i heard it, i was so impressed, it instantly became my favorite song from the group. and that'll never change. plus, I wanna be where you are is Michael's solo track from 'Got To Be There'

My mistake but it doesn't make a big difference both songs are Michael on the lead. I have to disagree with it being the best song of the group.

My mistake but it doesn't make a big difference both songs are Michael on the lead. I have to disagree with it being the best song of the group.

fair enough, i just think the exposure of Michael's voice shows how stunning his talent was at such a young age, i also LOVE 'Man's Temptation' too, i love the combination between Michael & Jackie!

Pretty sure there's some J5 backing on IWBWYA. Nevertheless it was released as MJ solo.

I love Big Boy too. I think what makes his vocals sound so raw is that the production values weren't quite the level of Motown.

Definitely one of my favourite J5 tracks though.

No idea why these recordings never have gotten a proper release. Do the estate care about these historical recordings or are they just all about MJ from 1979 and on? I'd love to hear all the tracks from these sessions actually mixed properly for the first time. Do we even know who has the masters?

No idea why these recordings never have gotten a proper release. Do the estate care about these historical recordings or are they just all about MJ from 1979 and on? I'd love to hear all the tracks from these sessions actually mixed properly for the first time. Do we even know who has the masters?

I'm afraid the Jacksons are also included in this.

This is my favorite Jackson 5 song i have ever heard, his truly artistic genius shines through each of the harmonies that flow through his gifted Vocal Chords. In my opinion, nothing have or will ever come close. Michael was 9 years old when he recorded this & it was the first song released that he was ever featured on.

Indeed a beautiful song :) People tend to really forget that this was where Michael came from. That Soul and R&B.

they have gotten several releases from different labels.. and there are only 5 tracks that were recorded for an official release, the other 9 are just recorded on tape whilst they were singing, they didn't even know the tapes were rolling, and that's why they have no professional production.. would love the 5 professional tracks to be officially released in conjunction with the estate though

Just like with the Motown material, the estate nor the Jacksons owns the material. Gordon Keith, i think that's his name, owns the masters

I don't think the Estate owns the Steeltown tracks. Big Boy with other Steeltown records of the J5 was actually released in 1996 on an album called Pre-History: Lost Steeltown Recordings: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-History-Lost-Steeltown-Recordings-Jackson/dp/B000004BNF

It was released by Brunswick Records, not sure what label that is or if it still exists and who owns the Steeltown recordings now.

I don't think the Estate owns the Steeltown tracks. Big Boy with other Steeltown records of the J5 was actually released in 1996 on an album called Pre-History: Lost Steeltown Recordings: http://www.amazon.com/Pre-History-Lost-Steeltown-Recordings-Jackson/dp/B000004BNF

It was released by Brunswick Records, not sure what label that is or if it still exists and who owns the Steeltown recordings now.

i found a cd with 10 tracks from the steeltown sessions digitally remastered by bernie grundman (Grundman Mastering, worked with Michael for many years).. unfortunately not all 14 and the tracks aren't complete..

Last edited:
Back