the irony of Common

Proud Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRW5keYnTh0

i first heard this, and it sounded like..a common song to me..and i don't mean his name. lol. and i didn't know who the song was by. then the dj announced that it was Common. i've known Common to do esoteric uncommon raps. now, this. the song suddenly grew on me, because i never heard a total rap put to such a seemingly common dance beat. it was always singing, before. then, as i listened to the song, it grew on me, some more, cus i liked the concept. now, i just listen to it anew, for the music...and it seems to sound different to me, with every listen.

what do you think of this...Common song, "Universal Mind Control"? lol

I like Common, this song though.. really isn't working for me, it's not his style, its more neptunes ('cos of the beat) so I don't enjoy it much. (Not that I dislike the neptunes beats) I just enjoy his mellow, jazzy soul beats.

This is what i'm feelin'

enjoyable. Kind of song you gotta listen to on a dance floor or in a club filled with many people. I heard some saying they're disappointed in this album overall. They didn't seem to dig his new direction. Maybe that's why you didn't recognize this one as something Common would do.

enjoyable. Kind of song you gotta listen to on a dance floor or in a club filled with many people. I heard some saying they're disappointed in this album overall. They didn't seem to dig his new direction. Maybe that's why you didn't recognize this one as something Common would do.

well..lol..contrary to common opinion..i like when an artist sells out. lol

takes a chance..and doesn't worry about backlash

why is it considered a sell-out? peopel are always uncomfortable with change, even when it's good.

Common,,,,, good..... Neptunes,,,,,, good. the Soulquarian era, unmatched as it'll be for a while, is over. i'm glad Common's finally gettin' some of the rightful recognition he deserves in the mainstream.

plus Pharrell and Kanye have always been inspired by J Dilla's sound, and you could hear it.

i also loved Kanye's new album, with its raw minimalistic direction.

why is it considered a sell-out? peopel are always uncomfortable with change, even when it's good.

Common,,,,, good..... Neptunes,,,,,, good. the Soulquarian era, unmatched as it'll be for a while, is over. i'm glad Common's finally gettin' some of the rightful recognition he deserves in the mainstream.

plus Pharrell and Kanye have always been inspired by J Dilla's sound, and you could hear it.

what he said..... :clapping:

hey..you get the gist of my post, don't you? lol...it's not my fault it's considered selling out..lol.

huh? i believe our Helena mentioned the sell-out aspect, lol. and it's not her fault either.
f_laugh.gif

although my defition of actual sell-outs is to compensate quality/creativity for superficial success (and many do go that way - see Timbaland, Storch - they were once brilliant). so i wouldn't commend anyone who simply "sells out", lol.

although i guess that was the exact argument jazz heads spewed when Patrice Rushen switched to r&b. and feck me am i glad she crossed-over...

(but most of those muppets are not exactly Rushen-standard)

hmm maybe we all need to tattoo "SUBJECTIVE" on our foreheads.
f_smiley.gif

huh? i believe our Helena mentioned the sell-out aspect, lol. and it's not her fault either.
f_laugh.gif

although my defition of actual sell-outs is to compensate quality/creativity for superficial success (and many do go that way - see Timbaland, Storch - they were once brilliant). so i wouldn't commend anyone who simply "sells out", lol.

although i guess that was the exact argument jazz heads spewed when Patrice Rushen switched to r&b. and feck me am i glad she crossed-over...

f_smiley.gif

lol..if i was into tattoos, that's one i would def consider..lol

^ class album.

lol..if i was into tattoos, that's one i would def consider..lol
hah, and even if you know you're already someone wise enough to consider how important subjectivity is, there's still no excuse not to tattoo yourself because the purpose is for others to see it. and if everyone does that, man would we have a better world, lol.

shoot, i still need to remind myself a lot of the time!

f_laugh.gif

f_smiley.gif
Yep I was just passing on what I read in some of the reviews. I don't dig or follow Common enough to notice how he's changed. The kind of reaction that I saw ain't new esp. when it comes down to once "underground" or "middleground" or less mainstream artists approach closer to core mainstream. Common still ain't a mainstream rapper, so I had to break it down and say "approach closer".

Back