The First Appearance of THE GLOVE?

Birchey

Proud Member
Okay so this is the music/live video for Off The Wall, A few versions have been uploaded of this but this a screenshot from an enhancement of StephluvsMJ's version in the 2000 Watts section. I have seen a rare clip of Michael wearing the glove performing Dancing Machine on the tour but maybe this is the first video footage of the glove?

mjfirstglove.jpg

mjfirstglove2.jpg

Can I just add that the video contains clips from maybe several shows but I think only this small clip has the glove in it, I may be wrong

he had been wearing gloves on and off stage during the otw era

Many people consider Motown 25 as the first time. But it's definitely noticeable that Michael wore a glove before the Motown performance.

There are all kinds of pics of him backstage on the Destiny/Triumph tours wearing the glove. But yeah, it'd be interesting to know when he started wearing it on stage. Anybody on the forum been to one of those shows and can remember 30 years back? :D

Doesn't it say in moonwalk that he's been wearing the one glove all his childhood but chose to use it as a "fashion statement" during Motown 25 performances?

Correct me if I'm wrong though because it's been a long time since I read that book, but I do remember him mentioning it.

The first appearance of the glove....? :scratch:
OK...
I was born on the........
OH you mean when did MJ start WEARING the glove! :D :cheeky:

(If anyone doesnt get the joke PM me and I will explain it to u..lol)

He's been wearing the glove on stage since 1979. It wasn't until 1983 until the glove became a "trademark". He hardly wore one glove onstage during his Motown phase. Back then, Motown didn't allow their artists to use trademarks unless they had full creative control (Marvin had the wooly, Stevie had the beret and medallion). Michael wanted to wear the derby at one time as his trademark, then he wore a few psychedelic-inspired hats (he even sported a Jimi Hendrix-styled headband during an early J5 performance). He wore a beret on the cover of "Got to Be There" but he wasn't allowed to wear it onstage. So after he got his control at Epic, he decided to choose wardrobe that'll make him stand out and it was the glove and fedora that made him stand out for sure.

Back