The Fashion Influence of MJ on You

Bee

Proud Member
Dear MJJC'ers,

At the moment I'm graduating from my study with a big project on the fashion of MJ. For my research part of the project I need to do interviews and find out about people's and specifically fans' views on his fashion. Would you all like to help me a bit? :) There are a few threads about his fashion, but none really about what it did to YOU.

So,
- What is your view on MJ's fashion?
- How do you think is his fashion influencing the (fashion) world?
- Has his fashion ever inspired your own outfits and clothing style?
- Which outfit(s) do you remember/you think were most eye-catching/unique/popular?

And,
- What would you think of a website about his fashion?
- What would you like to see and do on such a website?

Feel free to raise the discussion! Everything is useful for me! Thanks a lot!

I think his fashion was snazzy. The blakc leather jackets, glittering gloves, the many fedoras he had, the "rayban" sunglasses. Everything was stylish.
The iconic red jackets of Thriller and Beat it were worn alot in the 80s as i was told by friends and family.

I wish i could by Michael related fashion. the jacket he wears on the single art "Will you be there" is my favorite style of his.

As for his fashion influencing the world of fashion i dont see how it is or how its not. He was a regular man like the rest of us. He loved his hats and jackets, mostly in the colors red and black.

The most eye catching of his fashion would be the Smooth Criminal get-up, Will you be there black jacket, and the This is it Annocement apperal.

A website of his fashion would be wonderful, id love to see what he has worn. The most spectacular was yet to come. The This is it, light up Billie Jean jacket and socks, and the heal the world coat, and the crystal jackets would have been just breakthrough for the world.

Reactions: Bee
Oh you know what would be cool…well like if on a website about MJ’s fashion had like pictures of him wearing his iconic clothing, then also pictures of modern day equivalent’s, and how we can adapt MJ inspired clothing into our everyday outfits.

Something like these, only obviously more ‘everyday’ wearable clothes. And also links to where we can buy them online (if applicable)

women-michael-jackson-halloween-costumes.jpeg

41-8foBcMFL._SX300_SY390_CR,0,0,300,390_.jpg

Michael-Jackson-Halloween-Costumes-for-Women-1.jpg

48DIRTYDI.jpg

48MJRAE.jpg

michael_jackson_women_s_billie_jean_adult_costume.jpg

WoW! the gold one HIStory one is deffinately id love to see someone wearing.

I think having a website about his fashion would be so cool! Just like a collection of the outfits he wore.. I love seeing him wear the same shirt or something on different occasions so that would be very interesting I think :)

Almost everything I wear is Michael inspired. Military jackets, boots, aviator glasses, it all comes from Michael. But no ever says, wow, you look like Michael. Only I know where it comes from. ;-)

Thanks for the replies so far! :)

Actually it's already the purpose to create a website like a few of you said, with inspiration and the stories behind his outfits etc. So that's why I need some more in-depth research in the fanbase. If you could answer the questions about Michael and what it did to you as well, that'd be awesome!

Last edited:
Dear MJJC'ers,

At the moment I'm graduating from my study with a big project on the fashion of MJ. For my research part of the project I need to do interviews and find out about people's and specifically fans' views on his fashion. Would you all like to help me a bit? :) There are a few threads about his fashion, but none really about what it did to YOU.

So,
- Which outfit(s) do you remember/you think were most eye-catching/unique/popular?

And,

Feel free to raise the discussion! Everything is useful for me! Thanks a lot!

MJ's fashion is always a pleasure to watch. He loves his jackets, and puts glam in every outfit. Suprisingly I thought his court suits in 2005 were some of his best outfits. He looked sharp, with bold colour combinations and eye for details (like the jewelry he wore).
He influenced fashion always, but I do think that somehow right before his death his style was hip again. Mainly seen in Balmain collections. I love how Michael started to wear these jackets that were clearly inspired by him. He made all his outfits his, although when he was dressed by others you could see it wasn't really him (like de white Helly Hansen-sweater and the entire photo shoot). He incorporated oldfashion things like hats, spats and pochets and made them stylish and chic again.
I have the same preference for sequins as Michael. And I love patent shoes. But I would never ge into a head-to-toe Michael get-up. Maybe if I was a guy.
Favourite looks: Court outfits, glittery Jacksons jumpsuits, his bright shirts, Motown Billie Jean, Thet don't care about us, the way you make me feel, combining red and black like on the '89 American music awards, his white glittery grammy jacket in '93, balmain and givenchy in 2009.

This is a nice website about incorporating Michael's style: http://michaeljacksonstyle.blogspot.com/
But I would love to see a website entirely dedicated to his style and best outfits. Just a themed overview of his best looks and maybe some theories behind his dressing.

Good luck with your research!

From my perspective, almost everything we see in fashion today in inspired in some way by Michael Jackson. (This is also true of music, dance and stage production.) Wasn't it in the movie Tron that we saw the copy of the TII lighted Billie Jean clothing? There are so many examples. My favorite MJ look is the military look, it's everywhere, and I love it the most because it carries such a deep meaning behind it. I believe MJ's entire body of work represents the epic battle between the forces of good and evil, in a Star Wars kind of way. MJ fought a very real battle with the forces of evil while he was on this planet, so I love to "suit up" in clothing that carries the connotation of "fighting" for the forces of goodness, truth and beauty. I love western wear on MJ, but don't wear that myself, because I don't like the way the West was LOST to the Europeans, but I admire the way MJ wears it. It symbolizes to me an olive branch, to the very ones who oppressed his own people, a beautiful thing to see, but I am not as forgiving as MJ! I love everything and every look that MJ inspired (ok, maybe the Kidada Jones looks weren't his best, but even then I admire his willingness to try it!) I understand that Urban Outfitters will carry the J5 clothing line soon, Beat it inspired jackets, etc., no doubt I will purchase a lot of it. I am also CRAZY about the red lion tattoo shirt from TII and the mythic symbolism in that art. Just spectacular. Absolutely there should be a fashion website. But don't decode too much of the fashion world for the general public! Many of these MJ looks remain in the unconscious realm for most folks, and it's probably best if it stays that way. Sometimes art makes a more powerful statement in the unconscious mind than it does after it is decoded and deciphered for the conscious mind. Some will begin to reject things they presently like after they realize they were cued to do so by Michael.

I can only answer 2 of your questions :yes: 1 I loved to see him in the Jam outfit for the Dangerous tour :yes: and number 2 He used to wear Ed Hardy alot and I now own quite alot of Ed Hardy :yes:

Here's another way to help me out. A short survey: http://bit.ly/465TYh

Maybe that's easier! :) Thankyou to those who have already filled it in.
It's good to hear all of your opinions! I'm gonna do my best!

Q:What is your view on MJ's fashion?
A:I think he had one of the most beautiful and unique fashion styles. There was certainly no mistaking him with anybody else, and he was most definitely one of the biggest visionaries when it came to fashion.
Q:How do you think his fashion influenced the (fashion) world?
A:It definitely granted popularity to things like sequins, blazers, and military jackets, not to mention fedoras and mirrored aviator sunglasses! The armbands he wore to remember the world's children also impacted the fashion world, I think, and many people wear them in commemoration to him. Whether people care to admit it or not, Michael Jackson influenced the fashion world more than most other artists.
Q:Has his fashion ever inspired your own outfits and clothing style?
A:Yes. I have blazers, armbands, and military jackets as part of my wardrobe, as well as fedoras and sequins, and my aviators. I even like the whole surgical mask look, and wore it a lot during my senior year in High School. I am considering bringing it back. :p
Q:Which outfit(s) do you remember/you think were most eye-catching/unique/popular?
A: There are truly too many of them, but my favourite is the HIStory tour spacesuit/futuristic look. My second favourite would be the vintage 30's Smooth Criminal look.

And,
Q:What would you think of a website about his fashion?
A: I think people would find the history and evolution of his fashion quite interesting.
Q:What would you like to see and do on such a website?
A: A timeline of his fashion, from his time with the J5, to present day. Perhaps links to reproductions of some of his outfits, as well.

So,
Unique and very original. Not afraid of trying things out. Have good sense of style. Whatever he picked seem to suit the occasion and his personality at home or outside. He's the one that bring the Military style in
Topping the list are Fedora hat, sequins,bad era biker look, and military jacket.
I really adore the military jackets, way farer and the loafers he wore especially in the Billie Jean vid. I had couples of them in my wardrobe. I like jackets so much.
Victory Tour sequins customes

And,
Agreed with Mikage Souji. Besides that I would love to see if the webmaster can help pick out clothes that is similar to the style Mike wore in affordable price and wearable

after michael left,i really saw alot of mj influenced clothing in the shops,I still do now military styled jackets ,sequined stuff,

Back