The fans backlash towards Thriller (album)

analogue

Proud Member
There is no denying that there is a huge fan backlash towards the Thriller album. I think the reason for this is because the media and non/general fans put Thriller on a pedestal and not only treat Thriller like it was MJ's best album but it was his only album. Like it's the only album he ever did that's worth buying and listening to. It does bug me when i always hear about MJ being in his prime during the Thriller era because i think that MJ had grown as a singer, songwriter and dancer after the Thriller era.

I think that alot of people has the mind set of better record sales = better album but that's not always true. If people want to say that Thriller is they're favorite album that's fine, they can have they're opinions. I just wish that some people would realise that Thriller is not MJ's only album.

I know exactly what you mean. Personally, I think Thriller is a great album but I like Off The Wall, Bad and Dangerous more. What's even more frustrating is when people who like some of MJ's stuff react to new unreleased material coming out as "Is it from post-Dangerous? Then I don't wanna hear it" as if everything Michael did after that was worthless or something :smilerolleyes: Sure tastes differ but you cannot tell me that people who like everything pre-Dangerous can't find any good songs on his later albums. It's still Michael.

The same problem is also with videos, people always refer to the Thriller music video as if it's the best one MJ ever made, while personally I much prefer Ghosts.

I guess it's important to be able to listen to an album regardless of other people's opinion. To be able to really listen to music with an open mind and heart.

The same problem is also with videos, people always refer to the Thriller music video as if it's the best one MJ ever made, while personally I much prefer Ghosts.

I agree. I think that all the videos from the Bad and Dangerous era (except Liberian Girl) are better than Thriller. Also people always say that MJ's Billie Jean performance at Motown 25 was his greatest performance ever when i thought it was one of his weakest. An iconic performance yes but his greatest? No

Back