The Discussion of MJ's Unreleased Tracks

No shot. Listen to those songs—the quality is pitiful, at least for a 2022 release. If you told me they pulled those from whatever cassette they had on hand, I’d 100% believe you.
Idk wtf they did. Carousel from "The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection" sounds way better despite being "lower quality".

Branca must've remastered it himself in Audacity

Idk wtf they did. Carousel from "The Ultimate Fan Extras Collection" sounds way better despite being "lower quality".

Branca must've remastered it himself in Audacity
“Carousel,” “Sunset Driver,” and “Can’t Get Outta the Rain” all sound horrible. I can’t wrap my mind around it. They’ve all been released previously! They were already properly mixed and mastered! Just take those and put them on the album!

“Carousel,” “Sunset Driver,” and “Can’t Get Outta the Rain” all sound horrible. I can’t wrap my mind around it. They’ve all been released previously! They were already properly mixed and mastered! Just take those and put them on the album!
I like how Sunset Driver sounds on T40 :/

I’m excited for when we get Chicago 1945, because I find the original vocals to be amazing, but the instrumental is just so boring to me. It kind of reminds me of Best of Joy, the remix truly elevated the song imo. If c45 comes out on a album, I’d like it to be produced by Brody brown because he has made some really good 80’s synth inspired songs (24k magic)

I’m excited for when we get Chicago 1945, because I find the original vocals to be amazing, but the instrumental is just so boring to me. It kind of reminds me of Best of Joy, the remix truly elevated the song imo. If c45 comes out on a album, I’d like it to be produced by Brody brown because he has made some really good 80’s synth inspired songs (24k magic)
I agree C45 sounds boring. It's a cool song for what it is but it's very repetitive to me

Source: trust me bro

I’m sure the estate pulled out the slave tapes for The Toy/She’s Trouble/whatever else from Quincy’s secret vault to be able to release it on Thriller 40. (This is sarcasm, my point is we don’t need the slaves to get a release) Also we know now that the entire Thriller, Off The Wall and Bad albums, etc. (At least released songs) was transferred because they are leaked or were shown online 😭. We even had a tape transfer of an EARLY VERSION of I can’t help it leak online lmao.

Also wasn’t there some story about MJ losing the tapes to Scared of the Moon and the only reason we were able to hear the song is because they had a downmix on a casette that they overdubbed with strings, if giving the tapes to MJ meant them getting lost, no wonder Quincy would’ve wanted to keep them safe lmao. If that’s actually true anyway.

Still, we know that the important released stuff was transferred, so I don’t see why Q would be holding on to demo slaves, as if that even matters for a release. Maybe if they went the Xscape remix route again and needed them for vocals only lmao
Whatever is solely written and produced by Michael is likely in the possession of The Estate and anything else from an outside writer and producer is likely with that collaborator.

The Toy was a demo for the Richard Pryor movie and Michael scrapped the song because it cut into him recording Thriller but since it was solely written and produced by Michael, The Estate had it. She's Trouble is interesting because T40 says produced by Quincy but Musical Youth's version says produced by Peter Collins. Similar production but I do wonder how they got around Quincy if he didn't sign off and it wasn't scheduled to be released on anything else

Quincy's really adamant about holding onto session tapes for albums produced by him. It's why the slave tapes for George Benson's "Give Me The Night" album were never transferred, and why we've never really heard of any outtakes for OTW-Bad that weren't already known.
What about the Outtakes / Demos from Bad 25 then?

yeah.. but different mixes etc is really interesting for the fans.
Eh, not really. We all know MJ’s creative process. “Different mixes” could mean the claps are slightly louder, or the synths are a little quieter. Unless there’s a significant departure from the album version (more vocals, longer/shorter runtime), the likelihood of this being worth hearing is low.

It's really funny how it's worked out.

OTW - very few demos
Thriller - Most tied up with Quincy and Rod Temperton
Bad - Very fruitful and very liberal amount of song producing
Dangerous - A whole albums worth tied up with the most contentious collaborator MJ ever had. The rest ended up on the albums really (HIStory, BOTDF, Michael, Xscape)
HIStory - Very few demos
Invincible - Plenty of demoes, almost as many as Bad. Has been exhumed pretty exhaustively by now
Post-Invincible - Very little in a state even near completion.

It's really funny how it's worked out.

OTW - very few demos
Thriller - Most tied up with Quincy and Rod Temperton
Bad - Very fruitful and very liberal amount of song producing
Dangerous - A whole albums worth tied up with the most contentious collaborator MJ ever had. The rest ended up on the albums really (HIStory, BOTDF, Michael, Xscape)
HIStory - Very few demos
Invincible - Plenty of demoes, almost as many as Bad. Has been exhumed pretty exhaustively by now
Post-Invincible - Very little in a state even near completion.
There's more from 1978-1982 that have no involvement with Quincy and Rod. The Estate is just holding them back.

Eh, not really. We all know MJ’s creative process. “Different mixes” could mean the claps are slightly louder, or the synths are a little quieter. Unless there’s a significant departure from the album version (more vocals, longer/shorter runtime), the likelihood of this being worth hearing is low.

Since the invincible album was mastered weirdly EVERY piece of different/early mixes would be a treasure for many fans. Even if there’s nothing new to hear. If it’s not as compressed as the album it’s worth sharing to the fans.

Since the invincible album was mastered weirdly EVERY piece of different/early mixes would be a treasure for many fans. Even if there’s nothing new to hear. If it’s not as compressed as the album it’s worth sharing to the fans.
mate ill be honest very few people give two about how a song sounds in the mixing department, as long as it can play through their thinny earbuds they don't care

There's more from 1978-1982 that have no involvement with Quincy and Rod. The Estate is just holding them back.
I'm not counting Destiny or Triumph. Off The Wall still has the smallest amount of songs I'm pretty sure.

For Thriller, we'll have to wait and see really.

Unless you mean third-party writers' demos, without any input from MJ.
No, because that's all that's left.

Compile everything off TUC, Michael, and Xscape that came from the Invincible sessions and that's about a dozen, add in One More Chance and Shout too.

I'm not counting Destiny or Triumph. Off The Wall still has the smallest amount of songs I'm pretty sure.

For Thriller, we'll have to wait and see really.

No, because that's all that's left.

Compile everything off TUC, Michael, and Xscape that came from the Invincible sessions and that's about a dozen, add in One More Chance and Shout too.
I think MJ said he worked on around 100 songs for invincible. I dont think we are close to this number of what we know. If i count correctly we have 29 released songs. We can add a few leaked songs (GYWOOM, seeing voices, potw). Than we know of a few songs and their state of complition that arent leaked. Than we can even add writers demos MJ didnt worked on (not knowing if he counted those titles to his 100 songs) and can even add demos that evolved into others like happened with the way you love me. How many titles would that be in total? Around 60? So I think there are many songs from this era we dont know of or just know the title that could have more less vocals.

I think MJ said he worked on around 100 songs for invincible. I dont think we are close to this number of what we know. If i count correctly we have 29 released songs. We can add a few leaked songs (GYWOOM, seeing voices, potw). Than we know of a few songs and their state of complition that arent leaked. Than we can even add writers demos MJ didnt worked on (not knowing if he counted those titles to his 100 songs) and can even add demos that evolved into others like happened with the way you love me. How many titles would that be in total? Around 60? So I think there are many songs from this era we dont know of or just know the title that could have more less vocals.
MJ might have been exaggerating when he said "one hundred songs" -- especially since he said he WROTE 100 songs -- which he certainly didn't.

I think it matches to Bad's 30 at most, but I wouldn't say many more than that.

MJ might have been exaggerating when he said "one hundred songs" -- especially since he said he WROTE 100 songs -- which he certainly didn't.
He probably did. But one thing is write and another thing is record. Like he said, sometimes he wrote them on toilet paper or napkin, sometimes just hum them on tape machine and that's it.

He probably did. But one thing is write and another thing is record. Like he said, sometimes he wrote them on toilet paper or napkin, sometimes just hum them on tape machine and that's it.
Well those 100 songs he wrote must have been terrible if not one of them beat out Privacy or You are My Life for inclusion on the album...

Every MJ album has a handful of outtakes that should’ve made the final cut. Sometimes it’s not a quality issue.
It's nothing to do with the final cut, it takes a cohesion and flow to make an album. The songs need to either seamlessly flow and connect one another, flowing like a story, or they each need to be a strong statement of who you are, like bulletin points on an agenda. That's how MJ made music ever since Off The Wall and Thriller, since Destiny really.

Well those 100 songs he wrote must have been terrible if not one of them beat out Privacy or You are My Life for inclusion on the album...
Not true. Hollywood Tonight, What More Can I Give, People Of The World. I don't know what was his reason not to include more songs he wrote by himself. Probably low self-esteem during that time.

Well I think he was more interested sending the message across for both of these songs, so maybe some stronger cuts got left out because of this.

This is where if someone like Quincy was producing, he would've left out these tracks. But with MJ in charge, he had the freedom to do what he wanted.

Back