The Definition of Success by Ralph Emerson; Instantly thought of Michael

billyworld99

Proud Member
The definition of success--To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."

This is one of my favourite quotes! When I first came across it many years ago, I too instantly thought of Michael! I had not even read past the first 10 words, and it made me smile and cry at the same time, (it always does)...I wrote it below a beautiful picture of Michael and have kept it with me since... I know i can never thank God enough for blessing us with such a perfect living example of goodness and greatness in our lifetimes!I love and honour you more with every passing day sweetest Angel...May God bless you always and forever...

Thankyou billyworld99 for sharing it.

Last edited:
The definition of success--To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived--this is to have succeeded."

Oh and now I realize that the version I've always had has a few lines missing-

to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one's self;
to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation;

and STILL it ALWAYS made me feel as if it was exactly about Michael! WOW!

so thanks again billyworld99 and hugs to you:flowers: (())

Last edited:
the majority of critics are dishonest. he speaks of honest critics. i haven't heard from too many honest ones. James Brown was an honest critic though. and i heard what he had to say about Michael only recently. until then, i heard no critic say anything affirmative about Michael, in years. most critics are dishonest, and come from a position of bitter envy. most critics have a serious case of the emperor's new clothes.

Last edited:
I've read many of Emerson's writings and have always loved them. They are about being child-like and pure, being persecuted for being good...Now I don't know anything about his personal life, but form his writings I have always felt a very strong interpretation and expression of Michael's inspiring life, his trials, his resilience, courage and triumphs. Actually many times I used to wonder if Michael was Emerson in his previous incarnation, seriously, lol! Quiet possible!
Another one by Emerson-

"To be great is to be misunderstood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back