The decline in average age of targeted music consumers

arXter

Proud Member
while in the middle of a lovely argument-filled thread on MJ vs. lip-synch'ing, this topic came up. and i think this is a pretty decent guesstimation of targeted age ranges through the years:

1970 // 20-35

1975 // 20-30

1982 // 10-30
(genius moment in pop)

1988 // 15-25

1991 // 15-20

1995 // 15-17

2000 // 13-17

2005 // 13-15

2010 // 10-13
|
|
|
V​
(Disney Era)​

Eff that ish, muthalover! Then we need to get OUT of there. :blink: :lol:

i'd say "young people" or "youth" have always been targeted, but there's clearly a downward shift in the range in recent years.

i'd say "young people" or "youth" have always been targeted, but there's clearly a downward shift in the range in recent years.
Probably because there's more teens today, and they have more money to spend than young people did in the past.

Probably because there's more teens today, and they have more money to spend than young people did in the past.

You hit the nail on the head. I'd say that's at least one of the many reasons younger teens are being targeted. More money to blow, parents are more pulled into the "clean" disney-pop.

Does anyone see those KidzBop commercials? They now have a Beatles version.....YIKES! But KB is a whole other topic imo.

I'm hoping......hoping....to see a change in the future of this small bracket of targeted audiences in the future. If we could get back to the early 80's again...well that would be great! I was born in 87, but I do remember when the target audience was from around 15-25 at least. Early high school to late college years.

So much has changed and I simply don't know if it's for the better. I do know I am not raising my child on Disney, Nickelodeon artists or KidzBop.

Eff that ish, muthalover! Then we need to get OUT of there. :blink: :lol:

Please take me with you along with my motown collection and mj stuff lol. Its sad that teens AND even adults dont know how to be interested in things based on what they like instead there just brainwashed.

Does anyone see those KidzBop commercials? They now have a Beatles version.....YIKES! But KB is a whole other topic imo.
I listened to one of those in a record store listening booth a few years ago. It's really weird. Little kids singing songs like "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy. When I was a kid I had records with Big Bird singing "One Of These Things Doesn't Go With The Other" and storybook records about Tom Thumb. How children's music went from that to 'getting caught cheating on your girlfriend' songs, I don't know, lol.

I listened to one of those in a record store listening booth a few years ago. It's really weird. Little kids singing songs like "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy. When I was a kid I had records with Big Bird singing "One Of These Things Doesn't Go With The Other" and storybook records about Tom Thumb. How children's music went from that to 'getting caught cheating on your girlfriend' songs, I don't know, lol.

Yes! And how does a bunch of kids singing that Shaggy song make it any better to listen to? Lyrically, it's still a song about cheating. Graphic too. I haven't listened to any of the songs before but do they change the lyrics or something?!

Yes! And how does a bunch of kids singing that Shaggy song make it any better to listen to? Lyrically, it's still a song about cheating. Graphic too. I haven't listened to any of the songs before but do they change the lyrics or something?!
I didn't listen to the whole songs, but they weren't changed much as far I remember. Some songs had an adult singing the verses, and the kids singing the choruses. Then again, many of the songs by the J5 and other youth performers like Stacy Lattisaw, The Osmonds, Betty Wright, New Edition, & Shanice Wilson had adult topics, so it's not really that different I guess.

Yes, they do change some of the lyrics. They make it more "Kid appropriate".

I wanted to pose another question about the age bracket of targeted music consumers if I could.

Do any of you have the hope that it could broaden again? That teeny-bop/pop/club music won't be the only sought after popular music on the scene? Or at least the one that the music companies push all their promotion money to?

The more I think about it, the more it seems unrealistic to me. There are just too many genres now to pay attention to. It's just that there are so many great bands that continue to go unrecognized by big media outlets, and are stuck in "tour/club" mode. They make the most of their money through touring America every single year, they give sold out shows at many venues and ballrooms, there are tons of fans and sites about them that keep up on the latest music...but these guys can't get a leg up as far as promotion is concerned. No live televised concerts. No big promotional tours. Their stuck living on the road.

I guess I just wish more music was recognized for their talent and skill. And it wouldn't hurt for it to be more "mature/adult" either. In the late 80's and all of the 90's I used to enjoy the music I heard on the radio and videos I saw on tv. They were all different from one another. Some bands played to older gen's while other songs catered to the youth. There was a balance. At least there was to me.

Ok...my rant is done now I think. Sorry guys, lol!

Older people don't buy music (or anything else) as much as young people, so no one is marketing to them. But older people are more loyal to the acts they like. That's why old acts like the Rolling Stones, Barry Manilow, Paul McCartney, & B.B. King can still make lots of money performing live even though any new music they release doesn't sell much. In many cases, their target audience doesn't know that these acts still record because the record companies aren't pushing their music. Older people in general don't hang out on the internet. Some acts release their new albums independently like The Eagles & Prince, others do deals with Starbucks coffee like Paul McCartney & James Taylor. Some sign with KOCH records, but they don't have the funds to get them out there really. Sting & U2 have put songs in commercials to get heard. Sade's new song is being used in advertisements for a TV show. But companies don't market to the older population. I remember there used to be TV shows like "Matlock" and "Murder She Wrote" geared toward the mature audience, but the networks got rid of them, not because their ratings were bad, but because they wanted to lucrative youth market. The Isley Brothers had to resort to the "Mr. Biggs" image to get the younger people to buy their music Others had to work with the "producer of the month" like Charlie Wilson & Duran Duran, or stick rappers on their songs like Teena Marie. I saw no reason for Lionel Richie to do a duet with Akon when there's a Jill Scott or an Eric Benet out there, other than try to get radio play and a hit song. Although a lot of the time these are the record labels' ideas and not the performer. I really doubt Keith Richards woke up one day and said "Hey Mick, let's release a remix album", or Sting said "I really must get Puffy P. Diddy to remix Roxanne and put his 'uh huh' chants all over it.", lol.

Back