The Daily Weekend News Oct 15 - 17 Chris Tucker will impersonate Michael Jackson at Music Festival!

mariemarie

Guests
THIS IS IT A HOT TICKET

Sony/Columbia's This Is It , featuring scenes of Michael Jackson preparing for a come-back concert tour in the U.K., is likely to set a box-office record for a documentary film should ticket sales for the movie remain as spirited as they are today. Reuters reported today (Thursday) that, two weeks ahead of opening on October 28, more than 1,600 screenings have already sold out on online ticket outlets.

"The pre-sales activity all over the world has been nothing short of extraordinary," Sony spokesman Steve Elzer told Reuters. "But exhibitors have really met the demand by adding screens, and tickets are available for anyone who would want to see it, anytime." This Is It is being marketed as a "concert film," although most of the film will reportedly concern the efforts to create the concert that never took place.

Indeed, in an interview carried by the syndicated Access Hollywood , La Toya Jackson theorized that her brother would not have wanted to see the movie released.

"Michael always wants to give his best," she remarked. "This is a rehearsal. He wasn't giving his all. He loves to give his all always. That's just the way he is. He wants people to see him at the top of the ladder and not half-stepping because he doesn't want to do a full-out rehearsal."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/this-is-it-a-hot-ticket_1119178

Michael Jackson’s This Is It IMAX – Win Your Tickets! Hurry!

People are talking about This is It like there’s no tomorrow, and you can win tickets to the IMAX showing in Chicago, Philadelphia, and New York… and there is no tomorrow, so get moving!

Michael Jackson’s This is It is coming to IMAX theatres for only 10 days for fans to enjoy the King of Pop’s music like never before in IMAX’s laser-aligned digital sound! To ramp up for the excitement, IMAX is giving away 4 movie tickets to the opening day of Michael Jackson’s This Is It: The IMAX Experience to three lucky winners in Chicago, Philadelphia and New York! The giveaway will take place on Twitter on Thursday, October 15 and to enter, fans will just have to follow @IMAXnews and retweet a special message that will be released to IMAX’s followers! Check out all the details at www.twitter.com/IMAXnews.

For more giveaways for Michael Jackson’s This Is It and Where the Wild Things Are from IMAX, become a fan of IMAX on Facebookwww.facebook.com/IMAX!

Get busy and win yourself some tickets!

http://www.areyouscreening.com/2009/10/15/michael-jacksons-this-is-it-imax-win-your-tickets-hurry

Michael Jackson continues to break records – even though he’s dead

No one can ever accuse Michael Jackson of doing anything small. Even from beyond the grave, the King of Pop is breaking records.

His forthcoming tour documentary, This Is It,” has sold out worldwide. The movie has already sold out more than 1,000 showtimes on Fandango alone, and is currently the top-selling film on Fandango, representing 27% of weekly ticket sales on the site. Experts predict it’ll bring in nearly $250,000 million dollars.

Theater owners are adding extra showtimes to meet the demand, says Fandango’s Chief Operating Officer Rick Butler. “

"At this point in the film’s sales cycle, ‘This Is It’ is outpacing ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,’ ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,’ and ‘Star Trek’ as one of our top pre-sellers this year.”

I’ll check out the movie when it hits theaters, but I can’t say I’m ultra-geeked over it or anything. I think people are just fascinated by this mysterious guy, especially now that he’s no longer with us. It’s set to open on Oct. 28, 2009, in select theaters.

Were you one of the manic ticket buyers? Looking forward to this documentary? Check out the trailer here.

http://www.filmgecko.com/michael-jackson-continues-to-break-records-even-though-hes-dead/

Hendrix, Miles, Michael Jackson, James Brown Found It At The Colony...

“I’ve met everybody I’ve ever wanted to meet,” says Richard Turk, co-owner of the Colony Record and Radio Center since 1986. A half-century fixture at this music landmark founded by his father and a partner in 1948 on Broadway and 49th Street in the Brill Building — Tin Pan Alley — Mr. Turk, 58, doesn’t drop names; he sprays them out like a machine gun…The first thing I ever remember was walking up the street seeing a guy playing the trumpet outside Colony.

It was Miles Davis….Jimi Hendrix was the backup guitar player at Cheetah on 53rd and Broadway. One day he didn’t have $30 for the rent. He sold me his turntable…James Brown took one look around and said, “This smells like a music store.”...Michael Jackson, when he was with the Jackson Five, was really interested in the history of music. He’d say, “Turk, more, I want more.” He loved hanging out, buying tchotchkes…

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/hendrix-miles-michael-jackson-james-brown-found-it-colony/

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1982 - Michael Jackson wrote and produced a single for Diana Ross called "Muscles."

1982 - A Salute to Jermaine Jackson was done on "Soul Train."

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Dangerous (Remaster)" was released.

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Bad (Remaster)" was released.

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Thriller (Remaster)" was released.

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall (Remaster) was released.

0.jpg

Diana Ross in "Muscles" video

Off-The-Wall.jpg

"Off the Wall" remastered
7.jpg

"Thriller" remastered
2ezldme.jpg

"Bad" remastered
10ct7ie.jpg

"Dangerous" remastered

Last edited:
Re: The Daily Weekend News Oct 15 - 17

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6702008.html?desc=topstory
Frankfurt Book Fair: At A Slightly Smaller Fair, Michael Jackson Project Draws Lots of Chatter

Subscriptions.gif

btn_share.gif

By Rachel Deahl & Liz Thomson -- Publishers Weekly, 10/14/2009 11:05:00 AM

There’s no denying that there are few exhibitors at Frankfurt , with some major stayaways – but in terms of visitor numbers, on day one at least there was little change from last year. Attendance was 45,753, down 0.8% from last year (353 fewer visitors), while traffic in the agents centre was up 5.8% from last year to 3,850 visitors. Table occupancy was up 2%, and some agents felt there were “more transactions” this year.
At a Q&A session Wednesday, fair director Jurgen Boos said he was pleased with the success of the China initiative, which has already (with help from translation subsidies) increased the number of titles translated from Chinese into German: last year eight literary titles were translated as against 160 this year, while some 400 “other” books were also translated. He praised “the multiplicity of voices” that can be heard, “official and dissident”. It was, Boos said, “an important first step, more than we could have expected.”
On the social front, while there was no denying the downsizing and cancellation of parties (though Hachette’s eve-of-Fair bash was as generous as ever), the bars at the Hessicher Hof and the Frankfurter Hof were as busy as usual.

In the business of making deals, one book generating lots of conversation is a graphic novel project by the King of Pop. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently Michael Jackson was working on a comic book for years with friend (and son of Deepak) Gotham Chopra and now Random House’s Villard imprint is prepping to release the fruits of this seemingly unlikely collaboration. The book, Fated, is about a Jackson-esque pop icon named Gabriel Star whose fame has left him isolated and emotionally cut-off. After a suicidal swan dive from his hotel one night, Star survives only to see his celebrity grow and discover that he’s becoming, per the publisher, “something not quite human.” No word yet from Random House on foreign sales, but we hear the house is showing bits of the book to foreign houses. The title’s slated for a June 2010 hardcover U.S. release—the art’s black and white and the book is small format—and Mukesh Singh is illustrating.
One title that’s got quite a few foreign houses talking—some with their wallets—is Deborah Harkness’s Discovery of Witches. The book, which Carole DeSanti at Viking pre-empted world rights to before the fair for a rumored $1 million, is about the romance between a witch (in denial of her powers) and a 1,500-year-old vampire. Viking’s planning a winter 2011 publication and word in Germany is that rights have sold in Brazil for six figures. No word at press time from Viking on the deals, or the money; Sam Stoloff at the Frances Goldin Agency closed with Viking in the States.
And the chimp memoir that Twelve’s Cary Goldstein nabbed before the fair, The Evolution of Bruno Littlemore, is getting some love from foreign publishers. Agent Brian DeFiore is handling foreign rights on the title, which is written as the life story of the first chimp who learns to speak, and he reports that, already, two foreign deals have closed with rights sold in both Italy and Brazil.
Although one scout said some foreign editors seemed squeamish about the book—apparently a few Europeans didn’t warm to sex scenes between the eponymous primate and his human lady love—the book has been earning kudos as a strong literary effort. It’s the debut of 26-year-old Iowa Writers’ Workshop grad Benjamin Hale and Goldstein called the book “an extraordinary and singular debut.” Twelve is planning to publish in early 2011.

Comedian Chris Tucker will impersonate Michael Jackson at Music Festival

The Royal Gazette has learned that a Hollywood comedian and friend of the late Michael Jackson is on the bill for the last night of the Bermuda Music Festival.

Chris Tucker, who is known for his performances in the 'Rush Hour' series and the 'Fifth Element', was hand-picked by Quincy Jones because he was one of Michael Jackson's lifelong friends and colleagues. There will be a tribute to the King of Pop every night during the festival and Mr. Tucker will lead the tributes on the last night.

Rock Newman, of Gibraltar Promotions, said: "Chris Tucker is in and we expect that his performance will be laced with Michael Jackson related material. He was great, great friends with Michael, they performed together, and he does spot on Michael Jackson impersonations. Chris is going to be a conduit to a very exciting moment in the show, which is a very, very special celebration of the song 'Thriller'."

He added: "With Chris Tucker it is not sure whether people will laugh or cry or both."

This Halloween marks "Thriller's" anniversary, which was one of the best selling albums of all times. Another website for the Bermuda Music Festival is http://www.bmf09.com and tickets are available from www.bdatix.bm.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d9a82b30030003&sectionId=60

I’ll check out the movie when it hits theaters, but I can’t say I’m ultra-geeked over it or anything. I think people are just fascinated by this mysterious guy, especially now that he’s no longer with us.

Who said that... :horsey:

Michael Jackson Collaborators Were 'Clueless' About Singer's Alleged Addiction

'He had his A-game, so you didn't really question it,' choreographer Travis Payne tells Entertainment Weekly.

281x211.jpg

During four months of intense Los Angeles rehearsals for Michael Jackson's planned triumphant 50-show comeback bid in London, his collaborators had no idea the pop icon was struggling with an alleged prescription drug addiction that would ultimately prove fatal. In the issue of Entertainment Weekly that hits newsstands Friday (October 16), the cover story focuses on the preparations for the "This Is It" documentary chronicling those final rehearsals.

While Jackson's collaborators were worried about the 50-year-old singer's health during rehearsals — they feared that he wasn't eating enough, that he was too thin and that he might not be strong enough for the grueling preparations and months of shows — they said they didn't see any real cause for alarm.

"Michael would come in and say, 'I didn't sleep last night.' But then we'd be on set and you'd see he had his A-game, so you didn't really question it," choreographer Travis Payne said. Tour director Kenny Ortega, who also directed the "High School Musical" movies, said that when it came to the singer's alleged abuse of prescription drugs, "Honestly, we were clueless."

In the wake of Jackson's June death from what the coroner deemed "acute propofol intoxication" — referring to the surgical anesthetic that Jackson reportedly used as a sleep aid to combat chronic insomnia — questions have been raised about how much his inner circle knew about his alleged battle with prescription medication.

Randy Phillips, president of AEG Live, the promoter of the London concerts, told the magazine that on the day Jackson died, he followed the ambulance to the emergency room and watched as paramedics struggled to revive the singer. "I'll never forget this: There were all these people running around, frantically trying to revive him. [Jackson's personal physician] Dr. Murray was in there, and he was completely a mess," Phillips said. "A nurse came out and said, 'Where is Mrs. Jackson?' Michael's parents weren't there yet — they'd gotten lost. They'd gone to St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica. The nurse said, 'He's on life support.' I said, 'What exactly does that mean?' She told us he was brain dead but still breathing."

Meanwhile, as the doctors struggled to bring Jackson back, his creative team at the Staples Center across town was waiting to hear official information on what was going on. On the day Jackson died, June 25, the team was scheduled to rehearse an elaborate magic illusion that would serve as the transition between the songs "Dirty Diana" and "Beat It." When word came that Jackson had died, Payne said it sent a chill through the room. "There was just this general feeling of numbness," he said. "People didn't know how to process it."

Ever since, friends, family and collaborators have struggled to make sense of the * King of Pop. "I was in awe of his talent, but at the same time I pitied him, because I felt his life was so unfulfilled," Phillips said. "He had been almost chased into this isolation."

Payne added, "I knew Michael led a very lonely life at times, just because of the nature of who he was. But I choose to focus on the fact that now Michael is not suffering. Now he doesn't have this daily struggle he had to be who he was. And the world is going to have his music and his art forever."

"This Is It" will open for a limited two-week engagement on October 28, with a two-disc compilation CD due out the day before.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1624058/20091016/jackson_michael.jhtml

Last edited:
Randy philips: 'He's on life support.' I said, 'What exactly does that mean?' She told us he was brain dead but still breathing."

I don't understand why Randy Philips is backing Murray's preposterous claim that MJ still hand a pause when the paramedics came.

Randy philips: 'He's on life support.' I said, 'What exactly does that mean?' She told us he was brain dead but still breathing."

I don't understand why Randy Philips is backing Murray's preposterous claim that MJ still hand a pause when the paramedics came.

I dont think he is backing anything _
he is just repeating what he was told at the hospital _
the paramedics themselves will reveal weather MJ still had
a pulse or not when they arrived when this is brought to trial

To say Phillips is backing Murry becuase he made that statement is a false premise
you are speculating - we just DONT know

That MTV article is suspicious. Jackson camp vs. AEG camp.

First, the team was 'clueless' about Michael's prescription drug addiction because he wasn't addicted to prescription drugs at this time. The coroner said that all his vital organs were in tact and that he was a healthy man at the time of his death. Just because Murray pumped him full of drugs that night doesn't mean that Michael was addicted to them.

Any other drugs found in his system or room can probably be traced back to lupus or vitiligo, IMO.

Anyways, thanks for the news! I would love to see Chris Tucker doing his MJ impersonation at this tribute! Hope it's put on youtube.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion that Randy Phillips was backing Murray regarding having a pulse, where in that article did you read that?

Nurse said he was brain dead but still breathing, and I'd bet my last dollar that meant breathing as on a ventilator or being "bagged". Life support means ventilator basically, as well as various other methods of providing any type of blood flow such as intra-aortic balloon pump.

elmari - I was thinking that indeed they would have to be clueless because there was nothing to have a 'clue' about. *Sigh*

And why is Randy Phillips now saying that he was the one to tell the kids that their dad had passed? Was'nt Dileo harping the same story?

Comedian Chris Tucker will impersonate Michael Jackson at Music Festival

The Royal Gazette has learned that a Hollywood comedian and friend of the late Michael Jackson is on the bill for the last night of the Bermuda Music Festival.

Chris Tucker, who is known for his performances in the 'Rush Hour' series and the 'Fifth Element', was hand-picked by Quincy Jones because he was one of Michael Jackson's lifelong friends and colleagues. There will be a tribute to the King of Pop every night during the festival and Mr. Tucker will lead the tributes on the last night.

Rock Newman, of Gibraltar Promotions, said: "Chris Tucker is in and we expect that his performance will be laced with Michael Jackson related material. He was great, great friends with Michael, they performed together, and he does spot on Michael Jackson impersonations. Chris is going to be a conduit to a very exciting moment in the show, which is a very, very special celebration of the song 'Thriller'."

He added: "With Chris Tucker it is not sure whether people will laugh or cry or both."

This Halloween marks "Thriller's" anniversary, which was one of the best selling albums of all times. Another website for the Bermuda Music Festival is http://www.bmf09.com and tickets are available from www.bdatix.bm.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d9a82b30030003&sectionId=60

Awww chris sweetheart :wub: :cry:
You and michael used to make me so happy wheneva i would see you guys together..and now knowing u will never be again breaks my heart :cry:

Last edited:
Thanks Marie! :) You guys!

I know there's a thread about this somewhere but.....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091016/music_nm/us_music_singles_1
NEW YORK (Billboard) – The controversy over its origins aside, "This Is It" -- released
October 12 on Michael Jackson's official Web site -- is yet another testament to the
fact that the King of Pop was very much full of
life when he died. "I never heard a single word about you/Falling
in love wasn't my plan/I never thought that I would be
your lover/Come on please, dear, understand," Jackson belts in his
high-pitched, vibrating tenor.

vibrating tenor.
t
his gave me chills for some reason.

YaY to the salute to Jermaine in '82! He was bad you know?
And Chris cracks me up imitating MJ. Hee hee!

Last edited:
Alexander Autographs to Offer Rare Michael Jackson Memorabilia, Including His Donation of "We Are the World" Rights and Royalties, at Auction Benefiting VH1's Save the Music Foundation

ViewMedia

ROCK THE AUCTION at Mohegan Sun, October 21-22, 2009
STAMFORD, Conn.--(Business Wire)--
Auctioneers Alexander Autographs have joined forces with Mohegan Sun to sponsor
ROCK THE AUCTION, an auction offering nearly 700 lots of important rock and
entertainment memorabilia benefiting the VH1 Save the Music Foundation. This
important sale will be held be held on October 21&22, 2009 commencing at
2:00p.m. at Mohegan Sun's Cabaret Theatre. Members of the Media are welcome.

"King of Pop" Michael Jackson is heavily represented in the sale. Of particular
interest is Jackson's 1985 signed release of all rights and royalties to his hit
"We Are the World". Reaching #1 in nearly twenty countries, the song raised $63
million for African famine relief. Jackson's extensive charitable efforts have
been largely forgotten in the media furor surrounding his personal travails and
untimely death. Also offered will be Jackson's custom-made leather jacket worn
by him for the "Dirty Diana" video, and a telling set of handwritten lyrics:".No
place to lay my body This stuff ain't good for me...I plan to give it up." Other
Jackson items will include a signed guitar and trademark black fedora, his first
film contract, his personal "Dangerous" Tour jacket, an RIAA Platinum Sales
award given him, and more.

Other rare rock items will be offered in this unprecedented sale. Among them is
Elvis Presley's stage-used acoustic guitar, Jimi Hendrix's black Fender
Stratocaster, Prince Purple Rain stage-used outfits, Don Henley's "Hotel
California" acoustic 1950 D-28 Martin guitar, Johnny Cash's treasured carved
wood "snake and owl" walking stick, a one-of-a-kind Beatles Australian tour
promotional poster as well as many sets of Beatles signed items, a Britney
Spears film-used outfit, Bob Dylan signed harmonica, a 1969 Woodstock poster,
John Lennon's taped interview of Yoko Ono, a suggestive Freddie Mercury letter,
and much more. All types of memorabilia from dozens of important bands are
included in the sale.

Every lot in the sale may be previewed prior to sale days at Alexander
Autographs' offices in Stamford, CT. Advance notice is required. A catalog is
available at www.alexautographs.com (where all lots may also be viewed). Bids
may be placed at Alexander's website, live or online at artfact.com,
pre-registration required.

Alexander Autographs, Inc. and Mohegan Sun are proud to be a part of VH1 Save
the Music Foundation's important work to restore music education in America's
public schools.

Alexander Autographs, www.alexautographs.com, founded in 1991, is a leading
auctioneer of fine historic autographs, manuscripts, and other collectibles.
Based in Stamford, Connecticut, the company conducts much-anticipated live
auctions of superb historical material that delivers history into the hands of
our international customer base.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available:
http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6075617&lang=en

Alexander Autographs, Inc.
Bill Panagopulos, 203-276-1570
sales@alexautographs.com

Copyright Business Wire 2009

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS182612+16-Oct-2009+BW20091016

Last edited:
Back