The Daily Weekend News Nov 13 - 15

mariemarie

Guests
Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' Passes $200 Million Mark

michael-jackson-this-is-it_l_jpg_200x320_q85.jpg

Sixth months have now passed after the untimely death of pop singer Michael Jackson, and apparently the public still can’t get enough.

Billboard is reporting that the Jackson concert movie, This Is It, has now earned more than $200 million at box offices in its first two weeks of release. The take is from worldwide box-office receipts, not just U.S. returns.

According to Billboard, the folks at Sony Pictures Entertainment claimed This is It had "grossed $61 million in North America and more than $140 million internationally. Japan ($27.2 million) and the U.K. ($14.3 million) were particularly strong markets.” It’s also now the 22nd biggest grossing movie worldwide of 2009, according to industry tracker boxofficemojo.com.

The film was supposed to open for a two-week run, but that run has been extended to early December. To get some perspective as to how big this film is, it’s completely overshadowed the biggest concert film of last year, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour, which grossed just over $71 million, according to boxofficemojo.com. That means it also outsold that Jonas Brothers film, but you knew that, didn’t you?

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/michael-jacksons-this-is-it-passes-200-million-mar/34675/

Michael Jackson Reign Continues On Euro Chart

Michael Jackson continues his reign on Billboard's European Albums with "This Is It" (Epic/Sony Music Entertainment), while there's an eighth aggregate week atop European Hot 100 Singles for "Sexy Chick" (Gum/Positiva/Virgin/EMI) by David Guetta featuring Akon.

The Jackson set adds new entries at No. 1 in Italy and Sweden and spends a second week at No. 1 in Holland. It dips 2-3 in Denmark, 2-4 in Austria and 3-6 in the United Kingdom but climbs 4-3 in Germany and 6-5 in Ireland, holding at No. 2 in Switzerland and No. 3 in Norway.

Jackson has a new challenger in the form of Bon Jovi's "The Circle" (Mercury/Universal), new at No. 2 overall after debuts at No. 1 in Germany and Switzerland, and No. 2 in the United Kingdom (on sales of 75,000) and Austria. The band's last album "Lost Highway" spent its first four weeks at the pan-European summit in June and July 2007.

Michael Bublé's "Crazy Love" (Reprise/Warner Music) is holding up well in European sales, holding at No. 3 in its third week, topping the Irish chart again and continuing at No. 2 in Holland. It's down 1-4 in Italy and 2-3 in the United Kingdom, where it clocked up another 71,000 sales last week.

Rammstein's former European Albums No. 1, "Liebe Ist Für Alle Da" (Motor/Universal), dips 2-4 in its third week, after losing pole position in all three GSA (Germany, Switzerland, Australia) territories. The set has proved controversial in the heavy rock band's native Germany, where the authorities banned it from public display or sale to under-18s on Wednesday (Nov. 11) because of violent lyrics and explicit artwork.

Foo Fighters returns to the European arena at No. 5 overall with its new "Greatest Hits" set for RCA, fuelled by a No. 4 start in the United Kingdom (68,000 sales) and No. 8 in Germany.

Sting's "If On A Winter's Night" (Deutsche Grammophone), which took its pan-European bow at No. 4 last week, falls two spots, its best showing now at No. 6 for a second week in Italy. Cheryl Cole's "3 Words" (Polydor/Universal), which started at No. 7 overall last week thanks to first-week U.K. sales of 125,000, keeps that ranking after selling a further 75,000 for a second week at the summit there. It's at No. 2 again in Ireland.

In its eighth week on European Albums, Muse's "The Resistance" (Helium 3/Warner Music) falls 6-8, and 18-21 in the United Kingdom, but Black Eyed Peas' durable "The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)" (Interscope/Universal) is back into the Europe-wide top ten, 11-9, its best position since early October. It's up 11-10 in the United Kingdom, and the group's stellar year on European Hot 100 Singles continues, with former No. 1 "I Gotta Feeling" back up 3-2 and "Meet Me Halfway" leaping 18-6.

U.S. rock veteran Slayer has a new entry at No. 10 on European Albums with "World Painted Blood" (American Recordings/Sony Music Entertainment), helped by a No. 7 start in Germany. Its predecessor "Christ Illusion" opened at No. 5 overall in the summer of 2006.

Guetta has now had ten weeks at the Hot 100 Singles summit this year, including two in July with "When Love Takes Over," featuring Kelly Rowland. "Sexy Chick" extends its run with a 14-8 climb in Italy, holding at No. 2 in Austria.

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...kson-reign-continues-on-euro-1004042356.story

Win Michael Jackson Tickets!

To celebrate the opening of the Official Michael Jackson Exhibition at the O2 bubble and the extended cinema run of the superb This Is It, we're giving one lucky person the chance to win a pair of tickets to both so they can enjoy a full MJ day in The O2!

michaeljackson_thisisit.JPG

Showcasing some of the most personal and iconic memorabilia from The King of Pop’s extraordinary life, Michael Jackson: The Official Exhibition celebrates his unparalleled career.

The exhibit chronicles Michael’s rise to fame with The Jackson 5 at Motown Records, his record-breaking solo career as a global superstar, and ends with the spectacular shows he had planned for The O2 arena before his untimely death. This extensive, never before seen collection is exhibited across nine different themed galleries and includes more than 200 objects.

Michael Jackson’s This Is It offers Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in The O2, London.

Chronicling the months from March through June, 2009, the film is produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show.
To be in with a chance of winning a pair tickets to the Official Michael Jackson Exhibition in the O2 buble, and a pair of tickets to This Is It at the VUE Cinema in The 02, all you have to do in answer the question below.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR MICHAEL JACKSON COMPETITION

Competition closes 20 November 2009

http://www.mtv.co.uk/artists/michael-jackson/competition/win-michael-jackson-tickets

Today in
Michael Jackson History

2001 - CBS-TV aired a Michael Jackson television special entitled "Michael Jackson's 30th Anniversary Celebration" which promoted the album "Invincible."

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Greatest Hits: HIStory Vol. 1" was released on DVD.

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Dangerous - The Short Films" was released on DVD.

2001 - The second part of an "Entertainment Tonight" exclusive interview with Michael Jackson aired. The first part was aired the night before.

mj30th.jpg

It would be nice to see this & part one:
2001 - The second part of an "Entertainment Tonight" exclusive interview with Michael Jackson aired. The first part was aired the night before.

ME THREE!!! NOBODY in this world would have that kinda effect on me...Except Michael...He's just So Unique...This shows how really LOVED(Not only famous) he was, is, Will always be.

/B]

Same here!!!! :)

Honour of Ekotopfilm in memoriam (in Slovakia)

Translation of the original news from a Slovak web site.

http://www.ekotopfilm.sk/index.php?page=news&itemid=181

The recently deceased artist supported 37 partner organizations personally and financially involved in many humanitarian operations and projects (particularly prevention against AIDS and cancer and helping children in third world countries), as well as activities against war, destruction of natural flora and fauna on Earth ...

Earth Song became a subject when submitting festival honors with the agreement of the copyright owner declared the official anthem of sustainable development on 19 October for the Ekotopfilm festival. Tribute of Honor Ekotopfilm from Slovakia will be in the hands of Michael
Jackson's children.

logo.png

Last edited:
Honour of Ekotopfilm in memoriam (in Slovakia)

Translation of the original news from a Slovak web site.

The recently deceased artist supported 37 partner organizations personally and financially involved in many humanitarian operations and projects (particularly prevention against AIDS and cancer and helping children in third world countries), as well as activities against war, destruction of natural flora and fauna on Earth ...

Earth Song became a subject when submitting festival honors with the agreement of the copyright owner declared the official anthem of sustainable development on 19 October. Tribute of Honor Ekotopfilm from Slovakia will be in the hands of Michael
Jackson's children.

logo.png
i do not understand that item. Are they asking to use "earth song" as their anthem? It is up to MJ's estate...not the kids.

i do not understand that item. Are they asking to use "earth song" as their anthem? It is up to MJ's estate...not the kids.

The original report says the organizers want the song to be the anthem for Ekotopfilm.

and the report mentioned - from Slovakia to the kids hands..., I dont know what they mean....

The original report says the organizers want the song to be the anthem for Ekotopfilm.

May have been posted before, but they gave him a special tribute for it also.
It's nice to see Michael getting recognized by the "film" industry.

181_thumb.jpg

21.10.2009 -​
Ekotopfilm this year for the first time in history, gave a special tribute -
Ekotopfilm of Honor posthumously to Michael Jackson!

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ekotopfilm.sk%2F&sl=sk&tl=en&history_state0=

yes, they posted that in October, but... almost nowhere it was reported..., I mean in the mainstream media, thats why I posted that article yesterday..., because I found that yesterday. (who would expect that .... in Slovakia..., but its cool.)

whats funny is that I found out the page has its English version... :tease:
I am **** :smilerolleyes: , I was so lazy to translate it by myself..., and relied on google... damn.

HONOUR of Ekotopfilm in memoriam.
The late artist cooperated with 37 organizations, actively involved in many humanitarian events and project (especially prevention against AIDS and cancer, and help to children of the third world), as well as activities against wars, destruction of the Earth’s flora and fauna...
All this resulted in the Earth Song that was proclaimed, in accordance with the copy rights, the official anthem of the sustainable development on 19 October 2009 during the awarding ceremony. The Honour of Ekotopfilm in memoriam shall be passed into the hands of Michael Jackson’s children.

Last edited:
That memoriam story is awesome! I have always been thankful to have lived to witness the marvels of Michael Jackson. I miss him so :(

107051_janet-jackson-waves-to-fans-dancing-in-tribute-to-michael-jackson-at-the-grove-in-los-angeles-on-november-14-2009.jpg

Janet Jackson waves to fans dancing in tribute to Michael Jackson at the Grove in Los Angeles on November 14, 2009

^^Love the pic of Jan.
Today is da day where I have seen MJ for the last, the very last time in person. Already 3 years ago. So sad my heart is aching

Back