The Daily Weekend News Aug 28 - 30

mariemarie

Guests
This weekend would have been Michael's 51 birthday. Many fans are gonna be in The Netherlands this weekend, some are going to meet up at different clubs, while others are going on a private settings. Nonetheless, we're all going to celebrate, in some kind of way, the greatest entertainer that's ever lived, and that still lives on in our hearts. Always remember that.

:)

Michael Jackson Block Party vs Battle of Brooklyn?

Spike Lee's Michael Jackson Block Party, which was moved to Prospect Park this Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. because of the "massive" crowds expected, will be drawing those huge crowds just as the solemn ceremonies of Battle Week 2009 kicks off in Prospect Park Saturday at 11 a.m.
Mmmn, we hope that someone in the Parks Dept. remembered that something was already going on in Prospect Park when they booked the Michael Jackson extravaganza.
The map above shows the Battle of Brooklyn events starting at 11 a.m. at the Maryland Monument (small red circle). The larger red circle, according to a Parks Dept. map supplied by Spike Lee, is space allotted to the Michael Jackson party in the Neathermead Meadow.

The Battle of Brooklyn remembrance is happening not even a stone's throw from the Michael Jackson shindig. Hey, we like Michael Jackson too -- but we want to know: will DJ Spinna's soundchecks be conducted during the Rededication of the Maryland Monument? Will the Jumbotron be blasting during the Reading of the Maryland 400?
How's this going to work?

* * *​

Besides the Commemoration Ceremony Aug 29 in the park, events include a Battle Week Harbor Cruise with Barnet Schecter and the Battle Reenactment at Green-Wood Cemetery/March to Battle Hill Aug 30. Contact OSH for more information about Battle Week 718-768-3195 / www.theoldstonehouse.org See here for a quick history lesson.

http://mcbrooklyn.blogspot.com/2009/08/michael-jackson-block-party-vs-battle.html

Michael Jackson fans to break world record for 'Thriller' zombie dance?

World record attempt happening in London on what would have been singer's 51st birthday

michael_jackson_paphotos_l180809.jpg

Michael Jackson fans are attempting to break the world record for the largest 'Thriller' dance on what would have been the singer's birthday.

Jackson would have been 51 on Saturday (August 29).

Would-be zombies are being asked to assemble in London's Hyde Park from noon (BST) on that day to perform the dance routine from the iconic video, reports Urbanjunkies.com.

The world record stunt follows a similar mass 'Thriller' dance staged using prisoners in the Philippines. Footage of the dance became an online hit, and can be watched below.

http://www.nme.com/news/michael-jackson/46947

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1984 - The Jacksons’ Victory Tour broke the record for concert ticket sales. The group surpassed the 1.1 million mark in only two months.

1987 - Michael Jackson's album "Bad" was released. It contained seven hit singles.

jackson.jpg

Steve Harvey is dedicating his morning show to Michael.....he played the old interview he did with Michael.................its so warming and it also brought tears...

Steve said ...this show is dedicated to uplifting Michael and his legacy...there are so many forces trying to tear him down but we will never go down that road....

Michael just know we love you and we will always love you...

they also played what Sharpton said about the Sony protest...........it was heart warming.....he said Michael was so touched by the support of the black community that he was almost in tears...

there were some really nice things said...like Michael calling Cedric the Entertainer to tell him how much he loved one of his movies to keep doing his things...and Monique said when she saw him at the BET dedication to James Brown...how she felt and what he said to her...

Michael reached out to sooooo many people...and those people didn't exploit... I can now understand why so many artist are so touched by him...it was not just the talent....

like Spike Lee's story...and you can hear Spike's voice cracking while talking about it...

I am afraid that as fans sometimes we take all what media puts out about him....there was sooo much about him...

who knew him and Kobe hung out...and he mentored Kobe....who knew??
who knew he hung out at Spike's house and they became friends beyond
director and artist....who knew??

who knew he and Brooke really had a deep friendship??? who knew???

there was so much to this man...that we really need to cherish....

let me just say...there are so much conspiracy theories out there...it all gives me a headache....we can speculate and possibly make some good guesses... but none of that brings him back...

at some point we have to come to peace with his passing...all in our own way...
for me... I just know....God called Michael home....

I cherish EVERYTHING he gaves us.. I listen to his music like I never listened before..
I pray for his family and kids....

I will not financially support anything that tried to tear him down in life or death....and trying to blame family members and past/current associates of this or that just or believing the "strung out drug addict" stories just don't do it for me ...

Last edited:
Steve Harvey is dedicating his morning show to Michael.....he played the old interview he did with Michael.................its so warming and it also brought tears...

Steve said ...this show is dedicated to uplifting Michael and his legacy...there are so many forces trying to tear him down but we will never go down that road....

Michael just know we love you and we will always love you...

they also played what Sharpton said about the Sony protest...........it was heart warming.....he said Michael was so touched by the support of the black community that he was almost in tears...

there were some really nice things said...like Michael calling Cedric the Entertainer to tell him how much he loved one of his movies to keep doing his things...and Monique said when she saw him at the BET dedication to James Brown...how she felt and what he said to her...

Michael reached out to sooooo many people...and those people didn't exploit... I can now understand why so many artist are so touched by him...it was not just the talent....

like Spike Lee's story...and you can hear Spike's voice cracking while talking about it...

I am afraid that as fans sometimes we take all what media puts out about him....there was sooo much about him...

who knew him and Kobe hung out...and he mentored Kobe....who knew??
who knew he hung out at Spike's house and they became friends beyond
director and artist....who knew??

who knew he and Brooke really had a deep friendship??? who knew???

there was so much to this man...that we really need to cherish....

let me just say...there are so much conspiracy theories out there...it all gives me a headache....we can speculate and possibly make some good guesses... but none of that brings m back...

at some point we have to come to peace with his passing...all in our own way...
for me... I just know....God called Michael home....

I cherish EVERYTHING he gaves us.. I listen to his music like I never listened before..
I pray for his family and kids....

I will not financially support anything that tried to tear him down in life or death....and trying to blame family members and past associates of this or that just or believing the "strung out drug addict" stories don't do it for me ....

Thank you for saying that. I feel the same

I just want to add that.. as we know ...Michael was human....super human because he was so damn talented...

and as humans we all go through it...but he went through it with the piering eyes of the media watching his evey move....

all he wanted to do was entertain the masses...give us joy thru his music and artistry...

take what he gave us, embrace it, embellish it..remember it .. dont get distracted by so many other negative forces.......

Great post Rasta, I shed some tears reading that. As much as I am seeking the truth, sometimes you just need to step back and remember Michael for all that he gave to the masses.

I just noticed that google are celebrating his birthday too.

:wub:

MOBO Awards
Jermaine will be in Scotland next month to take part in a major tribute to the late King of Pop before a worldwide audience. Organisers of the Mobo Awards, which are being held in Glasgow this year - the first time outside London - revealed details of the tribute at a nominations ceremony .
Mobo founder Kanya King MBE said: "We will have Jermaine Jackson. He's going to be there. It will be a phenomenal tribute. The older generation, the younger generation have all been influenced by Michael Jackson. I think it's right we should pay proper tribute to him. We are going to put on the best show ever. It will take Mobo to the global stage."
The event will be broadcast on TV and organisers estimate will reach 250 million viewers in 60 countries. Tickets cost from £29 to £49 from www.ticketsoup.co.uk or by calling 0844 395 4000.
http://www.mobo.com/

^^ AMEN RastaPasta, Amen!

MsMo said:
Scared it will shut out ALL the other movies and keep Hollyweird from makin' any money for weeks on end:tease:

Last edited:
I seen the Google thing. That's awesome. Tens of millions of people visit Google everyday so this will be seen by a huge part of the population in dozens of countries. The people behind Google seem to always support Michael, they dedicated their site to him when he died and now they are doing it again for his Birthday. Great to see!

OMG Rasta :cry: cry: That really did it, I understand what you mean, thanks. Yes, we're all gonna have to come to terms with everything that's happened... it's just so tough in the process, so tough.

MsMo;2157791[B said:
Actors urged to avoid Jackson documentary[/B]

Union bosses at the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) have warned members not to take part in the documentary about Michael Jackson's doomed This Is It tour.

Why would they need to hire actors for the TII documentary? They've got hours of film. All we want to see is Michael. :(

Michael Jackson News for August 29, 2009:

http://www.examiner.com/x-9209-Anah...n--Caption-EO-RETURNING-to-Disneyland-in-2010

It's Official! Michael Jackson & Caption EO RETURNING to Disneyland in 2010

The fans are cheering this Michael Jackson news: Captain EO has been officially welcomed back to Disneyland! The official announcement is supposed to be revealed by Jay Rasulo at the D23 Expo in just a few weeks.
This just confirmed news is a great birthday gift to Michael Jackson who would have turned 51 this weekend!
While not all the details have been released, and at this time the only confirmed Disney Resort that will host Captain EO is Disneyland. Placed back in Tomorrowland, this should be an exciting opportunity for Michael Jackson Fans and Disney fans to enjoy one of the most loved pieces of Disneyland!
More to come....Will keep all Disneyland Fans posted.

http://www.searchenginejournal.com/michael-jackson-birthday-celebrated-by-google/12883/

Google has put out a special logo today to commemorate the late Michael Jackson’s 51st birthday.
michaeljackson09.gif

It’s a bit intriguing that Google has chosen to commemorate Michael on a day also marked across the nation as a tribute to the late Senator Ted Kennedy, I’m sure deciding one over the other may have been a difficult chore for Googlers, as the United States has lost a true democratic leader and the last of his generation.
Michael Jackson however, is an International superstar (and Google is an International phenom) who like Kennedy, is still shining bright, so there are no complaints here.
Looking at other engines, neither Yahoo, Bing, Dogpile or Ask.com are paying tribute to Michael or Kennedy today, so good for you Google
and thanks for reminding the world that today is Michael’s b-day.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Ent...wood_stars_pay_tribute_to_Jackson_367567.html

Bollywood stars pay tribute to Jackson

Some of Bollywood's biggest stars have released a free musical tribute to Michael Jackson to mark what would have been the late US star's 51st birthday.
The video, called Make It Large - A Tribute to Michael Jackson, features introductions from actors including Shahrukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Katrina Kaif and Priyanka Chopra as well as Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh.
None of the stars charged for starring in the video, which fans can download from the website of Khan's production company, Red Chillies Entertainment.
In it, Khan says of Jackson, who died suddenly in June, 'We've lost a part of our history; some of us have lost a part of our growing up.
'Some people teach by their words, others by their lives. Thanks for being with us forever.'
Roshan adds: 'We love you MJ. Your legend will never die.'
The Hindi-language song, written by leading film composer Vishal Dadlani, is sung by top Indian stars like Shankar, Shaan, KK and Shreya Ghoshal as dancers perform Jackson's trademark steps in the background.
One English lyric says of the Thriller star: 'He was the sound of our music and our lives.'
Jackson, dubbed 'The King of Pop', played a sell-out gig in India's entertainment capital Mumbai in 1996. Bollywood stars, film directors, choreographers and musicians have cited him as a major influence on their work.
He had been due to be buried on Saturday but is now to be interred on September 3, his family said last week.
Los Angeles coroners on Friday ruled that Jackson's death was unlawful, revealing that he had lethal cocktail of six different drugs in his body when he died.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/around-to...hrows-MJ-B-Day-Bash-in-Brooklyn-56092707.html

Spike Lee Throws MJ B-Day Bash in Brooklyn

.postToFBArticlePage {background:transparent url(http://media.nbclocalmedia.com/designimages/facebook.gif) no-repeat scroll 0 0;display:block;float:left;height:14px;padding-right:5px;width:70px;text-align:right;}.postToFBArticlePage span {padding-top:0px;margin-top:3px;display:block;}#slideshow .showcase #slideCount { /* THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE */ padding-left:140px;}#slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage span, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage span { margin-top: 0px; }#slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:visited, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:visited { color:#C3C7C7;}

javascript:void(0);

AP0908290252621.jpg

AP

Don't stop 'til you get enough. Thousands of Michael Jackson fans are dancing the rain away in a Brooklyn park at a celebration hosted by filmmaker Spike Lee.
The party marks what would have been the 51st birthday of the late pop star.

After a slow start amid heavy rain, a sizable crowd turned out at Brooklyn's Prospect Park to listen to a DJ spin Jackson's hits.

Many showed up wearing fedoras and T-shirts with Jackson's image. A few wore white gloves.

Lee directed two music videos for Jackson in 1996.

He told reporters, "I was just like everyone else. I loved his talent.''
As many as 10,000 people were expected to swarm the park in celebration of MJ's 51st birthday.
The Rev. Al Sharpton said a prayer at the party; Borough President Marty Markowitz presented a proclamation declaring Aug. 29 Michael Jackson Day in Brooklyn, and Brooklyn's own DJ Spinna, famous for his Wonderful and Michael Jackson versus Prince parties, played all things Michael.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/around-town/events/Brooklyn-Celebrates-MJs-B-Day--56105757.html

Loved Ones & Fans Mourn King of Pop

“At the end, we’ll all sing Happy Birthday to Michael,” Lee told the Root yesterday. “We’re going to make sure he hears us, too. All over the world, people are going to be celebrating his birthday. But he’s going to hear Brooklyn; Brooklyn is going to be in the house. Deep.”
The Prospect Park party is planned from noon to five but fans who want to keep the party going should consider Q-Tip's “Long Live The King! A Birthday Celebration for Michael Jackson” at the Nokia Theatre tonight.
Copyright Associated Press / NBC New York

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ipcN5Ju3ZQkzALSZUsxA2IbDcO7A

Fans mark would-have-been birthday of 'King of Pop'

By Luis Torres de la Llosa (AFP) – 5 hours ago
NEW YORK — Hundreds of fans of the late King of Pop Michael Jackson braved the rain to celebrate what would have been his 51st birthday with a party Saturday in a New York park, organizers said.
Film director Spike Lee organized the celebration in Prospect Park, in Brooklyn, with DJ Spinna setting the beat. As the party got underway about 1,000 fans young and old had gathered to mark the date; organizers said the crowd could reach 10,000 people.
Some of Jackson's greatest hits were showing on a big-screen television. Some fans hit the dance floor and got down, Jackson-style.
Others waited and took turns writing down their memories of the star on a special memorial wall. Despite heavy rain, organizers said the day would go ahead as planned with festivities lasting until around 5:00 pm (2100 GMT).
Lee filmed a Jackson video "They Don't Care About Us," in Brazil, which was on Jackson's HIStory album.
The celebration came as weeks of feverish speculation about the cause of Jackson's sudden death in Los Angeles on June 25 were brought to a close friday when the county coroner's office ruled his demise was a homicide.
In a statement, the officer said that while "acute intoxication" from the powerful anesthetic propofol was the primary cause of death, Jackson had also suffered from the effects of other drugs in his system.
As well as propofol, powerful drugs including lorazepam, midazolam, diazepam, lidocaine and ephedrine were found in Jackson's body.
The coroner's announcement will fuel speculation that authorities are likely to charge Jackson's personal physician Conrad Murray in connection with the death. Cardiologist Murray was the last person to see Jackson alive.
Jackson's family had originally planned to bury the late popstar on his birthday, but the interment will now take place on Thursday at the prestigious Forest Lawn cemetery, in the leafy Glendale suburb of Los Angeles.
Other tributes were taking place around the world to mark the Jackson's birthday. Some of Bollywood's biggest stars Saturday released a free musical tribute to Jackson.
The video, called "Make It Large -- A Tribute to Michael Jackson", features introductions from actors including Shahrukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Katrina Kaif and Priyanka Chopra as well as Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh.
In it, Khan says of Jackson: "We've lost a part of our history; some of us have lost a part of our growing up.
"Some people teach by their words, others by their lives. Thanks for being with us for ever."
And up to 15,000 people in Mexico were expected to take part Saturday in a potentially record breaking mass performance of Jackson's famed "Thriller" dance.
"We're expecting between 12,000 and 15,000 participants," said Javier Hidalgo, director of youth services in Mexico City, during a press conference.
That would be more than enough to beat a similar effort by fans in Barcelona to set a new world record for the number of people performing the famed dance that accompanied Jackson's hit song.
Just 300 people have signed up for the attempt in the Spanish city, according to Mexico City's Tourism Secretary Alejandro Rojas.
The world record, as certified by the Guinness Book of Records, was set on April 19 in the United States by 242 dancers.

.postToFBArticlePage {background:transparent url(http://media.nbclocalmedia.com/designimages/facebook.gif) no-repeat scroll 0 0;display:block;float:left;height:14px;padding-right:5px;width:70px;text-align:right;}.postToFBArticlePage span {padding-top:0px;margin-top:3px;display:block;}#slideshow .showcase #slideCount { /* THIS DOES NOT BELONG HERE */ padding-left:140px;}#slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage span, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage span { margin-top: 0px; }#slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToTwitterArticlePage a:visited, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:link, #slideshow .yahoo_buzz .postToFBArticlePage a:visited { color:#C3C7C7;}

© 2009 NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. Portions by Broadcast Interactive Media.
http://www.examiner.com/x-5590-Acti...irthday--a-unique-way-to-pay-tribute--in-clay

Michael Jackson's birthday ~ a tribute in clay by Jean-Baptiste Seckler

french_artist_jean_baptispte_seckler_ap_michel_euler.jpg

Jean-Baptiste Seckler with his art (AP Photo/Michel Euler)

Another and unique way to pay tribute to Michael Jackson, especially on his birthday, is to sculpt a more than life-sized clay bust of him.
Jean-Baptiste Seckler is the French artist who has done just that. He is the professional sculptor of and for many, and who has been commissioned to create this remarkable Michael Jackson piece of art.
Seckler, as far as anyone knows, was discovered as a street artist in Paris, France most recently following Michael Jackson's death.
french_artist_jean_batispte_seckler_clay_sculpture_beaubourg_museum_paris_july28_09_ap_jacques_brinon.jpg

(AP Photo/Jacques Brinon)​
Among others who have created artful renditions is Seckler, who, sitting out in the open with his "tools of the trade" including a collage of photos of whomever he was scupting, Jackson at the time, was French artist Seckler.​
jean_baptispte_seckler_ap_michel_euler.jpg
Jean-Baptiste Seckler, on his own, was one of many in the worldwide effort to pay tribute to the King of Pop. And in Seckler's case, paying tribute the best way he knew - through clay - in, thank goodness, such a public way so that he could be discovered (in a whole 'nother way)!
Not that being discovered was Seckler's goal, but now that he has been, where will he go from here?
jean_baptispte_secklerandsam_daouadi_ap_michel_euler.jpg
Seckler is not only a celebrity sculptor, but a portrait painter as well. This, now famous artist even has his own web site to help represent some of his many other clay creations of famous or maybe infamous celebrities. Like anything else one wants to locate, he can be googled!
Some of such sculpted celebs, by Seckler, are Elvis Presley, Mike Tyson, David Beckham, Stevie Wonder, P. Diddy, Che Guevara, President Obama, Davinci, and of course Micheal Jackson.
french_art_jean_baptispte_seckler_and_sami_daouadi_dorothys_gallery_inparisap_michel_euler.jpg
Clay and "metal" are two of the mediums, known, that Seckler uses to create such phenomenal art. Mike Tyson is an example of the use of "one of the metals" - and thus his bust is titled "Iron Mike."
Jean-Baptiste's art, a clay bust of Michael Jackson, is on display at Dorothy's Gallery in Paris, France. While back in the states, the King of Pop's August 29th birthday tribute party, hosted by Spike Lee, is at Prospect Park in Brooklyn, New York. A worldwide celebration will be happening as well.

Michael Jackson HIStory for August 29, 2009:

2002 - Michael Jackson was presented a birthday cake and statuette in the shape of a treble clef at the MTV Video Music Awards. He mistakenly thought he was receiving an award for "Artist of the Millennium." Britney Spears presented the gifts to Jackson.

Thousands attend Jackson birthday bash in New York

AP – Filmmaker Spike Lee takes pictures of Michael Jackson fans as they gather to celebrate the late pop star's …

By SUZANNE MA, Associated Press Writer Suzanne Ma, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 21 mins ago
NEW YORK – Thousands of Michael Jackson fans danced the rain away in a Brooklyn park on Saturday at a party hosted by filmmaker Spike Lee, marking what would have been the 51st birthday of the late pop star.
Crowds of partygoers streamed into Prospect Park late Saturday afternoon, many wearing fedoras, sporting white gloves and showing off other Jackson-esque outfits. DJs spun Jackson's hits one after the other as people danced and sang along. Dozens of hawkers wandered through the crowd with T-shirts, buttons, posters and homemade memorabilia.
"I was just like everyone else. I loved his talent," said Lee, who directed two music videos for Jackson in 1996. He also reminisced how Jackson had visited him in his home in Brooklyn to talk about their music video collaboration.
The day was also designated Michael "King of Pop" Jackson Memorial Day by Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz.
"We all know Michael Jackson had fans around the world, but we all know the best fans come from Brooklyn," Markowitz boasted to a roaring crowd that grew as heavy rain in the morning lightened to a drizzle by mid-afternoon.
Edna Robles of Brooklyn was on her feet all afternoon. In a red baseball cap and flip flops, she closed her eyes and swung her hips, pivoting in the grass and mud to the beats of Jackson's hit "Thriller."
"It could be thundering, I don't care," she said. "I watched him through the years and I think he's the best. I love him."
The event, originally planned as a block-party-style gathering for 2,000 in Brooklyn's Fort Greene Park, was moved to Prospect Park to accommodate a bigger crowd.
Peter Brodie and his wife, Corrine Rodriguez, brought their daughters, 3-month-old Astrid and 2 1/2-year-old Makeda, to the party. Rodriguez danced with Makeda to "Beat It" while Brodie swayed side to side as he held Astrid in his arms.
"I grew up listening to Michael Jackson. I was 9 years old and he opened up a whole new world of music and dancing to me," said Brodie, who said it was a shame that such a spirited celebration of Jackson's music came only after his death.
Aubrey Harris, a 45-year-old from New York, was clutching a stack of homemade portraits he made of Jackson.
"I'm spreading the memory of Michael Jackson," said Harris, who cut out Jackson's image from posters and created 19 collages decorated with paint and glitter. "I'm keeping it in the forefront of people's minds."
By mid-afternoon, he had already sold 10 portraits for $15 each.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090829/ap_on_en_mu/us_michael_jackson_tribute

^^that clay bust is so beautiful!

There was a video claiming MJ is alive, some of you will remember.
I did not pay any attention to it until they showed it on tv yesterday. A German tv channel (RTL) proudly revealed it was a hoax produced by themselves. Their intention was "not to disappoint the fans, they only wanted to awaken them. To warn fans to not always be so deceivable."

Ain't that something? They are relentlessly deceiving mankind for as long as I can think (well, longer) and yet they warn us for themselves.

Why would they need to hire actors for the TII documentary? They've got hours of film. All we want to see is Michael. :(

Maybe it's some kind of publicity shots for extras to create a background shot or something...i wonder what the main publicity shot got this movie will be like

you don't have a thread only birthday events? I searched for but I didn't find. So I post it here

Michael Jackson birthday party hosted by Spike Lee in New York

Fans celebrate King of Pop's 51st birthday at an event in Brooklyn organised by film-maker

Michael Jackson's 51st birthday was celebrated yesterday with a party in New York hosted by the director Spike Lee. Thousands of people braved the rain in Prospect Park in Brooklyn where Lee, who worked with Jackson on the music video They Don't Care About Us, had organised the free event to celebrate the life and music of the King of Pop.

Even through the sea of umbrellas and raincoats, tributes to Jackson were evident, from posters to commemorative badges and white gloves. The crowd, a mix of ages and races, sang Jackson's greatest hits from Bad to Dirty Diana, with music provided by DJ Spinna.

Some fans had hobbled to the event on crutches, others brought fold-up seats with them, but most were up on their feet dancing. They did the moonwalk and performed his iconic poses.

A few children dressed up as the cast of The Wiz, the 1978 film featuring Jackson and Diana Ross.

Jackson fan Patricia Brown, from the Bronx, was dressed in a black-and-white suit with bow-tie, holding a sign that declared: I'm the Off the Wall Michael, from 1978.(our Trish - ed.)

"I love Michael so much, I've been grieving, but his birthday is a day of celebration," she said.

Lee – who grew up on Jackson's music and said in a recent interview with The Root, an online magazine, "we're of the same era ... I wanted my Afro to be perfectly round like Michael's" – spent the afternoon on stage, wearing a Jackson tribute T-shirt and leading the singing.

Lee was joined by the Rev Al Sharpton, who began his speech saying: "Fifty-one years ago today, history changed."

He paid tribute to Jackson for defying "social and musical odds" and breaking barriers. Sharpton then paid his respects to Ted Kennedy, whose funeral also took place yesterday, calling the senator a trailblazer. Sharpton also asked the crowd to remember the victims of hurricane Katrina, on the fourth anniversary of the disaster.

After the sombre speech, the music came back on and the celebrations continued. The Way You Make Me Feel blasted over the speakers, with fans singing along to lyrics played on a big screen in the park. One of the fans, Diana Bourne, who grew up in Brooklyn, said: "I was born in the same year as Michael, so I had to come out and celebrate. I love him so much.

"At moments I have been teary-eyed but this is a great day. His music transcends age, race, everything. All over the world people love him and his music.

"He was phenomenal, there will be never be anybody like him."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/aug/30/michael-jackson-birthday-spike-lee

+++

Spike Lee throws Michael Jackson birthday bash in Brooklyn

BY Rachel Monahan and Samuel Goldsmith
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Saturday, August 29th 2009, 8:45 PM

alg_michael_jackson_celebration.jpg

Thousands of Michael Jackson fans gather to celebrate the late pop star's birthday at a party organized by filmmaker Spike Lee in Prospect Park in Brooklyn Saturday.

The rain didn't stop Michael Jackson fans from celebrating his birthday in Prospect Park Saturday, where thousands of one-gloved moonwalkers remembered the King of Pop.

Famed director Spike Lee organized the massive dance party for what would have been the star's 51st birthday.

"Fifty-one years ago, he was born into the world," said Lee, who directed the "They Don't Care About Us" music video for Jackson in 1996.

"I'm like everybody else - somebody who loved his talent," he said. "We're here to celebrate Michael Jackson."

Indeed, the birthday party had a celebratory tone - a welcome change from weeks of grieving Jackson's death.

He died just over two months ago of cardiac arrest after his doctor, Conrad Murray, gave him a lethal drug cocktail at his rented Bel Air estate in June.

The death was ruled a homicide last week.

Several thousand dancers packed themselves close together on the muddy Prospect Park grass facing a huge stage. Deejays played Jackson's music spanning his whole career - from his childhood with the Jackson Five to his final tracks.

There was a giant white birthday cake that read "Happy Birthday Michael Jackson" in red frosting. Balloons dotted the sky.

The biggest cheers came late in the day when the deejay played one of Jackson's best known hits, "Beat It."

"I've been into Michael Jackson since I was 1 year old," said Tariq Shade, 39, of Crown Heights, who wore a silver sequin glove on one hand. "I've always, always celebrated his birthday."

"I don't even remember life without him," actor Tracy Morgan said at Saturday's party. "Michael Jackson was everything."

"Happy birthday, Michael!" yelled Purcell Nurse, 28, of Crown Heights. "I wasn't able to go to one of his concerts, but I'll always remember this concert."

Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz took the stage to declare Aug. 29 "Michael 'King of Pop' Jackson Memorial Day" in Brooklyn.

"We all know Michael Jackson had fans around the world, but nowhere more than Brooklyn," Markowitz said.

Brooklyn City Councilwoman Letitia James last week suggested adding "Jackson" to the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station's name. The station served as an iconic backdrop for the 1987 music video of "Bad."

Meilan Gee, 59, flew all the way from Los Angeles to attend the birthday party.

"I had to be here today," she said. "I went to Neverland, his house, his mother's house. I have to be wherever he is."

Timbe Crump, 38, came from Milwaukee for the weekend and didn't want to miss the bash.

"We planned the trip around this," she said. "It's a day to celebrate his life and his accomplishments."

sgoldsmith@nydailynews.com

nydailynews

Las Vegas Pays Birthday Tribute to Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson spent some of his final years in Las Vegas and now he'll forever be cemented in the city's legacy.

The King of Pop was posthumously awarded a star on the Palms Casino Resort's Walk of Fame Saturday – which would have been his 51st birthday – while his father, Joe Jackson, and a smattering of fans looked on.

"I wish he was here to see this take place," Joe Jackson said of the son who died June 25. Police have labeled the death a homicide.

With the sounds of "Thriller" coming from the speakers and a drum line playing, the patriarch of the Jackson family smiled and posed for pictures as the star was unveiled in front of the Brenden Theatres.

The ceremony was actually two years in the making, organizers said, adding that Michael Jackson wanted to coordinate the unveiling with some type of major event.

"The plan was that Michael would accept the star after the run of London shows," said emcee Robin Leach.

Meanwhile, further west on Saturday night, at the Hollywood Bowl, Liza Minnelli said at her concert, "Today would have been Michael Jackson's birthday. And I loved him with all of my heart, and I will miss him for the rest of my life."

She then dedicated her rendition of "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" to him.
15371170.jpg

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20287787_20301327,00.html

Last edited:
NORM: Jackson tribute is a thriller show

Almost 20 Las Vegas entertainment acts paid tribute to Michael Jackson and his music Saturday in the concert venue where Jackson hoped to perform a thank-you concert.

A sell-out crowd of 2,600 at the Palms' Pearl helped raise more $100,000 for music education programs in Clark County.

Jackson's father, Joe, on hand for a celebrity star dedication on what would have been the King of Pop's 51st birthday, revealed to Vegas Confidential that Michael indicated he wanted to perform in the Pearl as a gesture of gratitude to Palms owner George Maloof.

The singer and his three children stayed at the Palms for several months earlier this year to work on an album in the Palms recording studios.

"That was something he wanted to do," said Joe Jackson, who has lived in Las Vegas since the mid-1990s.

Maloof confirmed that Michael brought it up earlier this year when Maloof gave him a tour of the venue.

Joe Jackson said he was unable to attend Saturday's concert because of a prior commitment but a friend said it was more a case of the event being too emotional for the family patriarch.

Sadly, he missed a "killer" song-and-dance show that featured Michael's songs.

Some of the biggest ovations went to: 11-year-old Elijah Johnson of "The Lion King," performing "Dancing;" the cast members from "Phantom: The Las Vegas Spectacular" and "Jersey Boys" combining on "Theme from Free Willie," the Australian groups Human Nature ("I Want You Back") and Signature ("Billy Jean") and the Las Vegas Mass Choir, decked out in black pants, white shirts, black fedoras and, of course, the glove on the right hand, singing "Man in the Mirror."

THE SCENE AND HEARD

There's buzz in the show biz community that Liza Minnelli is planning another "gypsy" show when she wraps up her Sept. 25-Oct. 1 run at the MGM Grand's Hollywood Theatre. It was something she often did with Sammy Davis Jr. and she brought back the tradition in November 2006 at Luxor. It will be the toughest ticket in town. ...

SIGHTINGS

Female impersonator Frank Marino, backstage at Joan Rivers' show on Friday at The Venetian Showroom. ... Country singer Tracy Lawrence, taking in "Criss Angel Believe" (Luxor) on Friday. ... Ed Henry, CNN's senior White House correspondent, dining at Intimate Fine Dining in Henderson on Friday. He's in town to buy a condo. ... Bill Maher, host of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher," touring "Bodies. ... The Exhibition" (Luxor) Friday. From the conversation, it was clear Maher's female companion had a medical background. ... Locksmiths, changing the locks Friday and videotaping the process at Michael Jackson's former residence at 2710 W. Palomino Lane. ... Retired pitching star Roger Clemens, backstage on Thursday after taking in fellow Texan Terry Fator's show (Mirage). He was in town to golf and attend Toby Keith's concert. He golfed Friday at TPC. In his playing group was Ron Futrell, longtime local TV personality. ... Tony Curtis stopped in the Rusty Spur Saloon, 8025 Dean Martin Drive, for a margarita Friday to let 'em know he was still kicking after a recent health scare that left him in the intensive care unit at a New York City hospital.

THE PUNCH LINE

"There was one awkward moment when Jon got confused and accidentally dropped his girlfriend off at the third grade -- but other than that, it went fine." -- Jimmy Kimmel, on Jon and Kate dropping their kids off for the first day of school.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/56171662.html

DVD Review: Devotion: An Unauthorized Tribute to Michael Jackson

In the wake of Michael Jackson's untimely death, greatest hits compilations, DVDs, and the upcoming This Is It documentary are surfacing to capitalize on fans's thirst for material. One of the earliest out of the gate is Devotion: An Unauthorized Tribute to Michael Jackson, a DVD claiming to document Jackson's life story. Unfortunately, the documentary falls short of being a complete guide to his complicated life.
MJCover-1.jpg

Taking a decidedly biased view (thus the word "tribute" in the title), Devotion focuses on Jackson's relationship with fans, his charity work, and his vast commercial success. Curiously, the plastic surgery never receives a mention, and the accusations and eventual trial are glossed over. While Jackson's life story presents a challenge to anyone wishing to condense it to two hours, barely discussing the Jackson Five's hard road to Motown also seems a glaring omission.
As is typical with “unauthorized” programs, the documentary contains no original music and little in the way of new interviews. Berry Gordy appears, although he rehashes some of his memorial service speech; Janet Jackson very briefly describes the close relationship she shared with her brother; and Quincy Jones discusses the recording of Thriller, although the BET Awards poster in the background reveals the footage's age: 2008. Thus the interview is not exclusive to the program. More interesting is some of the lesser-known figures in Jackson's life, including his former publicist Susan Blond and photographer Harrison Funk. Blond recounts her years working for Jackson, fondly recalling the mania surrounding Thriller. Funk remembers taking photos of Jackson at Neverland Ranch, seemingly charmed by his childlike nature.
Hardcore fans will quibble with various aspects—for example, while the narrator touts Off the Wall's success, footage of fans mobbing Jackson plays, clearly from the Thriller era. Oddly, when songwriter and frequent collaborator Rod Temperton's name is mentioned, Stevie Wonder's face appears. Video from the Bad era accompanies the Thriller section, and much is made of Jackson meeting President H. W. Bush (though his 1984 visit with President Reagan remains more noteworthy). Since the documentary's producers failed to obtain footage of the original Motown 25 “Billie Jean” performance, the viewer is treated to a very bad imitator's version of the moonwalk. Some of the facts appear blurred—for example, Jackson's 2001 feud with Sony and then-company president Tommy Mottola stemmed from Jackson's unhappiness with the lack of success of his last album, Invincible. Instead, Devotion mostly couches the incident in vague descriptions of him wanting more control over his Sony catalog. Interestingly, the DVD does include the inflammatory remarks Jackson made about Mottola being “mean” and a “racist.”
Devotion includes four extras: brief excerpts from the memorial service, a profile of his charity work, a segment on the media's uneasy relationship with Jackson, and footage solidifying him as a “global phenomenon.” The first bonus features snippets of speeches from Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Brooke Shields, Jermaine Jackson, and daughter Paris Jackson's unforgettable closing comments. The “Charity Work” bonus argues that Jackson became active in charities long before it was fashionable for celebrities to do so. Raising money for AIDS research and his Heal the Kids foundations are among the examples cited.
The “Media” segment best represents the biased nature of Devotion, painting the media as bloodthirsty snakes who enjoyed making up stories about Jackson. While some of that may be true, it paints a simplistic portrait of Jackson's ongoing tension with the press. The narrator chides the media for “biased reporting” and fails to mention how Jackson often tried to manipulate press coverage. In fact, biographers have suggested that Jackson himself planted the infamous hyperbaric chamber and Elephant Man's bones stories.
Finally, the “Global Phenomenon” section shows fans from all over the world, illustrating his massive international following. Amazingly the documentary takes another shot at the press, the narrator stating that “unlike the media, fans kept the faith” during the good and bad times.
While Devotion: An Unauthorized Tribute to Michael Jackson may have good intentions, its mistakes, omissions, and heavily slanted approach will annoy fans. In addition, the documentary reveals no new information (other than a couple of scary health-related incidents) about Jackson's life that even casual fans do not already know. One can only hope that future films will paint a more balanced and accurate portrait of Jackson's complicated legacy.
http://blogcritics.org/video/article/dvd-review-devotion-an-unauthorized-tribute/page-2/

Back