The Daily News Sep 16

mariemarie

Guests
I can't stop playing the new short This Is It trailer, the "Billie Jean one. Amazing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISSNpkW2du8

Warning: This article is based on one writer's opinion, so it has some of those dodgy parts, but I wanted to post it here anyways, since it made some other cool points. What do you think?

Michael Jackson's This Is It: whatever 'it' was, it looks impressive

A fitting eulogy to the world's greatest entertainer or a shameless cash-in taking advantage of the public's morbid fascination? The Michael Jackson conundrum continues …

Here's the trailer for This Is It - the film that promises to lift the veil on the rehearsal process that should have led to Michael Jackson's hopefully triumphant return to live performance … but ended suddenly with his death in June.

Every shot of this trailer will undoubtedly inspire unbridled (though somewhat melancholic) glee in Jackson's millions of fans. That is, after all, who it's for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUSa2G1MeA&feature=player_embedded
Blimey. "Blimey" is, officially, one of the things that one might think upon watching the trailer for This Is It. Some of the others - though certainly not exhaustively - might include:
This-Is-It-greatness-001.jpg

"That doesn't look like a man at death's door."

Because it doesn't. While the news reports and rumour, autopsies and backstage sources might speak of drugs and addiction, exhaustion and physical decline. This trailer doesn't suggest that.

It promises glimpses of the magic that hundreds of thousands were hoping to catch at the O2 in London. Sharp movement, top-class choreography, and all the electricity and energy that Jackson was known for.

Whether that's what the film looks like isn't clear. Whether that's what all the rehearsals looked like, we're unlikely to hear. Whether that's what the O2 shows would have ended up like, we will never know. This film is what will remain. And what may change the historical perception of the way this icon died.
This-Is-It-jokey-001.jpg

"Wait, is he laughing?"

We've been so used to the media image of Jackson hidden behind a towel, or a mask, or a paper bag that seeing him laughing or consulting, or arguing:
This-Is-It-pointy-001.jpg

… or at least pointing – seems weird. Not that we can hear what he's laughing about as yet. And we don't see much in this trailer, apart from his face. It's weird.

"Yes! His face was weird by the end, wasn't it?" - is another perfectly fair thing that people might think, watching this trailer.
Doesn't detract from what he achieved, they just might think, too.
This-Is-It-army-001.jpg

"Cripes. How bloody big WAS this show going to be?!"

Big. Huge. There appear to be a cast of hundreds of dancers and musicians, intermingling with lights and enormous amounts of CGI.

It looks like the biggest, spangliest most incredible spectacle you can imagine. Seriously. From the looks of these things, U2, Madonna, Britney, all those "I've got a great big live arena show" people … this makes them look like "I've got a little gig down the pub if you're interested" people instead. And these are only the rehearsals for the show that the world will never see.

But then you wonder: "IS this the show that will never be seen?" Or once this film gets released and the talk turns to what a dreadful shame and a big pity it is that all that hard work came to naught, it feels like there's a possibility that they'll find some way of making this happen. Holograms, most likely. Or regeneration. There'll be some sort of way, you would think.

It's like the rumours, or the stories, or the man himself. You get the feeling they're not going to let him lie.
This-Is-It-that-was-that-001.jpg

Is it? I mean, It certainly was. It was meant to be it. And then, that was "it" for MJ, and that was that and this isn't happening any more.

Then, magically, it was again. And for people who waited so long for a live return from Jackson, this is as close as they will get.
But it's hard to tell from this trailer how it's going to pan out.
Whether it's destined to be
a) the triumphant footage of a man retaining a tight grip on his greatness that will please the fans and possibly rewrite history.
b) an intriguing portrait of a man desperate to reclaim his throne, but weakened by circumstance and an ultimately tragic sudden, dodgy death – and morbidly interesting because of that. OR
c) Yet another attempt by the people that surrounded him and helped organise the London concerts to create something they can milk money out of that will hit the box office hard, then go like the clappers in the Christmas market.

And once you've answered that, there's likely to only be one thought remaining – which is: these people, 30 or so seconds into the trailer:
This-Is-It-prayer-001.jpg

Are they people praying to Michael Jackson? Is that something that people do now?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/sep/15/michael-jackson-this-is-it-trailer

Last edited:
It looks like the biggest, spangliest most incredible spectacle you can imagine. Seriously. From the looks of these things, U2, Madonna, Britney, all those "I've got a great big live arena show" people … this makes them look like "I've got a little gig down the pub if you're interested" people instead. And these are only the rehearsals for the show that the world will never see.

rofllllllllllllll

I can't stop playing the new short This Is It trailer, the "Billie Jean one. Amazing!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISSNpkW2du8

Warning: This article is based on one writer's opinion, so it has some of those dodgy parts, but I wanted to post it here anyways, since it made some other cool points. What do you think?

Michael Jackson's This Is It: whatever 'it' was, it looks impressive

A fitting eulogy to the world's greatest entertainer or a shameless cash-in taking advantage of the public's morbid fascination? The Michael Jackson conundrum continues …

Here's the trailer for This Is It - the film that promises to lift the veil on the rehearsal process that should have led to Michael Jackson's hopefully triumphant return to live performance … but ended suddenly with his death in June.

Every shot of this trailer will undoubtedly inspire unbridled (though somewhat melancholic) glee in Jackson's millions of fans. That is, after all, who it's for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUSa2G1MeA&feature=player_embedded
Blimey. "Blimey" is, officially, one of the things that one might think upon watching the trailer for This Is It. Some of the others - though certainly not exhaustively - might include:
This-Is-It-greatness-001.jpg

"That doesn't look like a man at death's door."

Because it doesn't. While the news reports and rumour, autopsies and backstage sources might speak of drugs and addiction, exhaustion and physical decline. This trailer doesn't suggest that.

It promises glimpses of the magic that hundreds of thousands were hoping to catch at the O2 in London. Sharp movement, top-class choreography, and all the electricity and energy that Jackson was known for.

Whether that's what the film looks like isn't clear. Whether that's what all the rehearsals looked like, we're unlikely to hear. Whether that's what the O2 shows would have ended up like, we will never know. This film is what will remain. And what may change the historical perception of the way this icon died.
This-Is-It-jokey-001.jpg

"Wait, is he laughing?"

We've been so used to the media image of Jackson hidden behind a towel, or a mask, or a paper bag that seeing him laughing or consulting, or arguing:
This-Is-It-pointy-001.jpg

… or at least pointing – seems weird. Not that we can hear what he's laughing about as yet. And we don't see much in this trailer, apart from his face. It's weird.

"Yes! His face was weird by the end, wasn't it?" - is another perfectly fair thing that people might think, watching this trailer.
Doesn't detract from what he achieved, they just might think, too.
This-Is-It-army-001.jpg

"Cripes. How bloody big WAS this show going to be?!"

Big. Huge. There appear to be a cast of hundreds of dancers and musicians, intermingling with lights and enormous amounts of CGI.

But then you wonder: "IS this the show that will never be seen?" Or once this film gets released and the talk turns to what a dreadful shame and a big pity it is that all that hard work came to naught, it feels like there's a possibility that they'll find some way of making this happen. Holograms, most likely. Or regeneration. There'll be some sort of way, you would think.

It's like the rumours, or the stories, or the man himself. You get the feeling they're not going to let him lie.
This-Is-It-that-was-that-001.jpg

Is it? I mean, It certainly was. It was meant to be it. And then, that was "it" for MJ, and that was that and this isn't happening any more.

Then, magically, it was again. And for people who waited so long for a live return from Jackson, this is as close as they will get.
But it's hard to tell from this trailer how it's going to pan out.
Whether it's destined to be
a) the triumphant footage of a man retaining a tight grip on his greatness that will please the fans and possibly rewrite history.
b) an intriguing portrait of a man desperate to reclaim his throne, but weakened by circumstance and an ultimately tragic sudden, dodgy death – and morbidly interesting because of that. OR
c) Yet another attempt by the people that surrounded him and helped organise the London concerts to create something they can milk money out of that will hit the box office hard, then go like the clappers in the Christmas market.

And once you've answered that, there's likely to only be one thought remaining – which is: these people, 30 or so seconds into the trailer:
This-Is-It-prayer-001.jpg

Are they people praying to Michael Jackson? Is that something that people do now?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/sep/15/michael-jackson-this-is-it-trailer
I agree with this article, is melancholic, just how i feel, Michael was preparing the biggest show on earth, that now we will never get to see what makes me more sad is that he was sooo happy, he was working so hard and passionate to make the best show ever, he wanted to come back to were he really belong, to perform again and he just died:cry:, just as that, he died, not fair, these were only the rehearsals, i feel sad now, Michael should be alive and performing right now, why he died?, why he had to die now?:(, i miss him, i always will miss him, i will always ask myself why he had to die when he was about to recover all he built tru his entire life and what he loved the most

Last edited:
I agree that it would have been the best show ever...but I really don't like the way he described Michael....his face was NOT weird :mad:

His concert would've kicked every other artist's concerts in the ass--HARD.

I wish he could've done it. Damn it! :cry:

Last edited:
Memorial Best Way To Ensure Michael Jackson's Legacy

As the family of Michael Jackson continues to grieve their son, brother and father, time is of the essence to ensure that the greatest entertainer of all time is appropriately remembered for generations to come.

The family of Elvis Presley was smart in making sure that the world always will remember the musical contributions of the man dubbed the King of Rock 'n' Roll (even though, in my opinion, that title should go to Little Richard or Chuck Berry). Graceland serves as the gold standard for celebrity estates, ensuring a primary location for Elvis Presley fans to gather to honor him.

Think about it. Frank Sinatra is seen as on par with Elvis and Michael Jackson, but there is no such memorial to Sinatra that has generated the kind of attention needed. He's remembered, but not with the same fervor.

There is no doubt that any kind of memorial/monument for Jackson would surpass Graceland in terms of attendance and revenue.

For all of you who want Neverland to be it, forget about it. One, it's two hours away from Los Angeles and is difficult to get to. Second, the rich folks who were Jackson's neighbors would never go for it. They won't change the laws to allow him to be buried there and don't even want to think of the traffic that would be generated by all the people (as many as 1 million) who would visit the ranch each year.
Graceland is situated perfectly in Memphis, Tenn., and is easily accessible.

Michael lived for years in the Los Angeles area, but it isn't really centrally located. Frankly, the perfect choice for a Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 memorial center is the Jacksons' original hometown, Gary, Ind. The town is less than 45 minutes from Chicago and has three airports to provide access (Chicago's O'Hare and Midway international airports, as well as Gary/Chicago International Airport), and it is in the middle of the country. Fans of Jackson's could travel from both coasts and from the north and the south to praise their deceased hero.

The city of Gary definitely could use the tourist attraction and would do anything and everything the family wanted to make it a first-class facility.

Mayor Rudy Clay says he has had talks with Michael's father, Joe Jackson, and others about this, and they are hopeful it will happen.

It should. Jackson is certainly worthy of a memorial. Lisa Marie Presley has been able to further her father's legacy and establish a consistent source of revenue for her and her children. The same could be done for Michael's three children.

Roland S. Martin is an award-winning CNN contributor and the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith." Please visit his Web site at www.RolandSMartin.com. To find out more about Roland S. Martin and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2009 CREATORS.COM

Memorial Best Way To Ensure Michael Jackson's Legacy

As the family of Michael Jackson continues to grieve their son, brother and father, time is of the essence to ensure that the greatest entertainer of all time is appropriately remembered for generations to come.

The family of Elvis Presley was smart in making sure that the world always will remember the musical contributions of the man dubbed the King of Rock 'n' Roll (even though, in my opinion, that title should go to Little Richard or Chuck Berry). Graceland serves as the gold standard for celebrity estates, ensuring a primary location for Elvis Presley fans to gather to honor him.

Think about it. Frank Sinatra is seen as on par with Elvis and Michael Jackson, but there is no such memorial to Sinatra that has generated the kind of attention needed. He's remembered, but not with the same fervor.

There is no doubt that any kind of memorial/monument for Jackson would surpass Graceland in terms of attendance and revenue.

For all of you who want Neverland to be it, forget about it. One, it's two hours away from Los Angeles and is difficult to get to. Second, the rich folks who were Jackson's neighbors would never go for it. They won't change the laws to allow him to be buried there and don't even want to think of the traffic that would be generated by all the people (as many as 1 million) who would visit the ranch each year.
Graceland is situated perfectly in Memphis, Tenn., and is easily accessible.

Michael lived for years in the Los Angeles area, but it isn't really centrally located. Frankly, the perfect choice for a Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 memorial center is the Jacksons' original hometown, Gary, Ind. The town is less than 45 minutes from Chicago and has three airports to provide access (Chicago's O'Hare and Midway international airports, as well as Gary/Chicago International Airport), and it is in the middle of the country. Fans of Jackson's could travel from both coasts and from the north and the south to praise their deceased hero.

The city of Gary definitely could use the tourist attraction and would do anything and everything the family wanted to make it a first-class facility.

Mayor Rudy Clay says he has had talks with Michael's father, Joe Jackson, and others about this, and they are hopeful it will happen.

It should. Jackson is certainly worthy of a memorial. Lisa Marie Presley has been able to further her father's legacy and establish a consistent source of revenue for her and her children. The same could be done for Michael's three children.

Roland S. Martin is an award-winning CNN contributor and the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith." Please visit his Web site at www.RolandSMartin.com. To find out more about Roland S. Martin and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2009 CREATORS.COM

Great article and on point, maybe somebody will point the family in the right direction and get over that Neverland mess.

JACKSON KIDS ATTEND SPECIAL SCREENING OF CAPTAIN EO

MICHAEL JACKSON's young children were given a special treat during a trip to Disneyland, California last Thursday (10Sep09) - they attended a one-off screening of the late King of Pop's 3-D movie CAPTAIN EO.
The 17-minute film closed as an attraction at the theme park in 1998, but Prince Michael, 12, Paris, 11, and seven-year-old Prince Michael II, aka Blanket, were given a rare chance to catch the space adventure on the big screen.
Disney blog MiceAge.com states, "The Honey I Shrunk the Audience show was quietly closed, and Imagineers (Disney technicians) moved in with a truckload of equipment used to install the Captain EO show for a special executive presentation."
The kids, who were taken to Disneyland by their uncle Jackie Jackson, "loved" every minute of the movie, according to a TMZ.com source.
Honey I Shrunk the Audience was reinstalled by Saturday (12Sep09).

16 September 2009 16:07

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...ttend-special-screening-of-captain-eo_1116217

JACKSON KIDS ATTEND SPECIAL SCREENING OF CAPTAIN EO

MICHAEL JACKSON's young children were given a special treat during a trip to Disneyland, California last Thursday (10Sep09) - they attended a one-off screening of the late King of Pop's 3-D movie CAPTAIN EO.
The 17-minute film closed as an attraction at the theme park in 1998, but Prince Michael, 12, Paris, 11, and seven-year-old Prince Michael II, aka Blanket, were given a rare chance to catch the space adventure on the big screen.
Disney blog MiceAge.com states, "The Honey I Shrunk the Audience show was quietly closed, and Imagineers (Disney technicians) moved in with a truckload of equipment used to install the Captain EO show for a special executive presentation."
The kids, who were taken to Disneyland by their uncle Jackie Jackson, "loved" every minute of the movie, according to a TMZ.com source.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...ttend-special-screening-of-captain-eo_1116217

That warms my heart. I bet they were absolutely thrilled to see it! It's a fantastic short film.

Also, I do think there will be some sort of museum/memorial that will be constructed for Michael somewhere. The family and estate know that this is what the fans want and Michael has so much stuff that is exciting to see. So I do believe that we will one day get a physical shrine to visit and reminisce about Michael.

=mjdove;2212941]JACKSON KIDS ATTEND SPECIAL SCREENING OF CAPTAIN EO

I’m so very happy Michael Jackson’s children loved seeing Captain E0 at Disneyland.
My prayer is that soon we will see Michael Jackson’s children smiling happily at Disneyland for the grand reopening of Captain EO.
I think this would be the very best tribute to Michael Jackson, yet,
and one his children would remember for ever.
giveheart.gif

CONTROVERSY SWIRLS AROUND MICHAEL JACKSON COVERAGE

Late pop star’s name once adorned auditorium on Gardner’s Hollywood campus, but was shielded following molestation claims. A petition demands that it be restored.

In this 1989 file photo, Michael Jackson is seen attending a ceremony at Gardner Street Elementary School in Hollywood for the unveiling of a new sign naming the school auditorium for him. The sign has been covered for the past six years. (Photo by Gary McCarthy)
By ARIN MIKAILIAN, Staff Writer
Story Published: Sep 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM PDT
Story Updated: Sep 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM PDT
The months following Michael Jackson’s death saw a countless number of extravagant tributes to the late pop star, but one honor remains censored.

For the past several years, two placards have covered up Jackson’s name, which was once displayed atop the entrance to the auditorium at Gardner Elementary School in Hollywood.
It was originally a gift presented by the school to the pop star on Oct. 11, 1989. Jackson briefly attended the school in 1970 before moving onto private tutoring.
But in 2003, shortly after Jackson faced a second round of child molestation allegations, some parents in the community demanded his name be covered up — a demand that was satisfied by the school’s principal at the time, as well as the Los Angeles Unified School District.
For six years, the sign on the building has read simply, “Auditorium.” On paper — on playbills for school plays, for example — it is referred to as Gardner Street Elementary Auditorium.
A series of community meetings with parents resulted in the censoring of Jackson’s name, but current Principal Kenneth Urbina said there hasn’t been a similar effort to reverse the decision.
Following Jackson’s death on June 25, Urbina contacted LAUSD officials in anticipation of an outcry to uncover the pop star’s name, but learned there were no plans to do so.
“I just wanted to be a little ahead of the game. I was probably going to get some phone calls about this,” he said. “They called me and told me there’s no plans to uncover the name.”
In an e-mail, LAUSD spokeswoman Ellen Morgan confirmed to The Wave that “there are no current plans to uncover the name.”
Urbina said redisplaying Jackson’s name would most likely have to be the result of an outpouring of concern on par with that of six years ago. Until then, he plans to maintain a stance in step with the previously expressed concerns of parents.
“Parents consider school as a safe haven for children, a protector of children,” Urbina said. “When allegations like this come up, especially not for the first time … and so as a principal I can understand they did not want to have the association with somebody accused of that kind of crime. We always err on the side of safety when it comes to something like that.”
Some parents, however, are reconsidering their opposition to the display of Jackson’s name.
The mother of a Gardner fifth grader, Sonia Litz was among the parents who originally demanded that Jackson’s name be covered. She is now singing a different tune.
Litz said she changed her mind mainly because attention has shifted away from Jackson’s legal troubles in the months since his death.
“Personally, I don’t think it matters, because he’s passed on and people are looking into his music,” she said. “Everywhere I go, I don’t hear the bad parts, I just hear the good parts. Once in a while a parent might say those other things, but not as much as I’m hearing the good things about him.”
Urbina, on the other hand, believes more attention to Jackson’s personal troubles came as a result of a resurgence of interest in the pop star. “There’s still a lot of strong feelings about this,” he said. “I’ve got a feeling that sentiments might just come out the same way again.”
Outside of school administrators and parents, others are also paying attention to the matter. An online petition has been started by the Germany-based www.mjjsupport.com, directly aimed at having Jackson’s name uncovered.
More than 800 people have signed the petition so far, and the site’s webmaster called Gardner Elementary School’s actions “a sign of disrespect and intolerance.”
Starline Tours, one of Hollywood’s most well-known bus tours, stops by Gardner Street Elementary dozens of times every day and tour guides always point out where Jackson’s name used to be.
Fred Sapir, one of the company’s owners, said tourists always ask his drivers why the name is boarded up.
“His name is very, very important. He’s done a lot of things and lots of people really care for him,” Sapir said. “[Jackson’s name] shouldn’t be covered. … whatever has happened with him happened in the past.”

http://www.laindependent.com/news/local/hollywood/59567827.html

CONTROVERSY SWIRLS AROUND MICHAEL JACKSON COVERAGE

Late pop star’s name once adorned auditorium on Gardner’s Hollywood campus, but was shielded following molestation claims. A petition demands that it be restored.

In this 1989 file photo, Michael Jackson is seen attending a ceremony at Gardner Street Elementary School in Hollywood for the unveiling of a new sign naming the school auditorium for him. The sign has been covered for the past six years. (Photo by Gary McCarthy)
By ARIN MIKAILIAN, Staff Writer
Story Published: Sep 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM PDT
Story Updated: Sep 17, 2009 at 12:46 AM PDT
The months following Michael Jackson’s death saw a countless number of extravagant tributes to the late pop star, but one honor remains censored.

For the past several years, two placards have covered up Jackson’s name, which was once displayed atop the entrance to the auditorium at Gardner Elementary School in Hollywood.
It was originally a gift presented by the school to the pop star on Oct. 11, 1989. Jackson briefly attended the school in 1970 before moving onto private tutoring.
But in 2003, shortly after Jackson faced a second round of child molestation allegations, some parents in the community demanded his name be covered up — a demand that was satisfied by the school’s principal at the time, as well as the Los Angeles Unified School District.
For six years, the sign on the building has read simply, “Auditorium.” On paper — on playbills for school plays, for example — it is referred to as Gardner Street Elementary Auditorium.
A series of community meetings with parents resulted in the censoring of Jackson’s name, but current Principal Kenneth Urbina said there hasn’t been a similar effort to reverse the decision.
Following Jackson’s death on June 25, Urbina contacted LAUSD officials in anticipation of an outcry to uncover the pop star’s name, but learned there were no plans to do so.
“I just wanted to be a little ahead of the game. I was probably going to get some phone calls about this,” he said. “They called me and told me there’s no plans to uncover the name.”
In an e-mail, LAUSD spokeswoman Ellen Morgan confirmed to The Wave that “there are no current plans to uncover the name.”
Urbina said redisplaying Jackson’s name would most likely have to be the result of an outpouring of concern on par with that of six years ago. Until then, he plans to maintain a stance in step with the previously expressed concerns of parents.
“Parents consider school as a safe haven for children, a protector of children,” Urbina said. “When allegations like this come up, especially not for the first time … and so as a principal I can understand they did not want to have the association with somebody accused of that kind of crime. We always err on the side of safety when it comes to something like that.”
Some parents, however, are reconsidering their opposition to the display of Jackson’s name.
The mother of a Gardner fifth grader, Sonia Litz was among the parents who originally demanded that Jackson’s name be covered. She is now singing a different tune.
Litz said she changed her mind mainly because attention has shifted away from Jackson’s legal troubles in the months since his death.
“Personally, I don’t think it matters, because he’s passed on and people are looking into his music,” she said. “Everywhere I go, I don’t hear the bad parts, I just hear the good parts. Once in a while a parent might say those other things, but not as much as I’m hearing the good things about him.”
Urbina, on the other hand, believes more attention to Jackson’s personal troubles came as a result of a resurgence of interest in the pop star. “There’s still a lot of strong feelings about this,” he said. “I’ve got a feeling that sentiments might just come out the same way again.”
Outside of school administrators and parents, others are also paying attention to the matter. An online petition has been started by the Germany-based www.mjjsupport.com, directly aimed at having Jackson’s name uncovered.
More than 800 people have signed the petition so far, and the site’s webmaster called Gardner Elementary School’s actions “a sign of disrespect and intolerance.”
Starline Tours, one of Hollywood’s most well-known bus tours, stops by Gardner Street Elementary dozens of times every day and tour guides always point out where Jackson’s name used to be.
Fred Sapir, one of the company’s owners, said tourists always ask his drivers why the name is boarded up.
“His name is very, very important. He’s done a lot of things and lots of people really care for him,” Sapir said. “[Jackson’s name] shouldn’t be covered. … whatever has happened with him happened in the past.”

http://www.laindependent.com/news/local/hollywood/59567827.html
After Michael was cleared, his name should have been restored. PEROID. We have been fighting this fight since the trial ended.

Back