The Daily News Oct 27

mariemarie

Guests
Mixed Outlook For Michael Jackson Album Sales

The new Michael Jackson record "This Is It" hits stores around the world on Monday, kicking off a week of money-spinning events dedicated to the "king of pop," but the outlook for the two-disc album is decidedly mixed.

Experts predict that it will top charts in several key countries, most notably the biggest U.S. market, but with album sales in seemingly terminal decline, even relatively modest returns can secure the coveted number one slot.

The fact that fans have bought nearly six million Jackson albums in that country alone since the singer died suddenly in June of a prescription drug overdose is likely to temper demand for what is essentially another greatest hits collection.

Much depends on whether millions of people expected to flock to the accompanying "This Is It" movie, which hits theatres on Wednesday, feel moved to buy the record too, experts said.

"It's very hard to pinpoint what it will do, particularly due to the fact that a lot of these songs have already sold well this year," said Silvio Pietroluongo, director of charts at Billboard magazine which compiles the weekly rankings.

"Talking to the labels and industry insiders there is a huge sweep of opinion of anywhere between 200-300,000 and 500,000 albums sold in the first week," he told Reuters.

Pietroluongo predicted that should be enough to guarantee Jackson another Billboard number one in the United States.

http://www.billboard.com/news/mixed...ok-for-michael-jackson-album-1004030327.story

Michael Jackson Fans Protest Biography Movie

photo_verybig_109225.jpg

A group of Michael Jackson fans are up in arms over the biography film, showing the last days and hours of the life of the King of Pop.
The movie is based on over 100 hours of videotapes, filmed during rehearsals for Jackson’s planned comeback concert tour this past summer.

The movie shows the singer in good condition and spirits, which according to the fans, is a distortion of reality with the movie creators trying to conceal the truth about Jackson’s health at the time. The movie premiere is scheduled for next week and will be shown only over a two-week period.

In the meantime, the New York based “Christy” auction house announced they will hold on November 10 an auction for Michael Jackson’s portrait, done by Andy Warhol. It was created in 1984 and portrays the King of Pop with clothes from his “Thriller” album.

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=109225

Michael Jackson’s Song in Bidding War

michael_jackson.jpg

Michael Jackson’s unreleased songs are at the center of a bidding war.
The late singer’s unheard music is reportedly being sent out to several record companies who are interested in releasing the tracks he was working on before his death in June.

Michael’s long-time attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain – who are overseeing Jackson’s estate – are said to be speaking with Sony Music, Universal Music Group and one other unnamed interested party about the catalogue.

A source said, “Universal and Sony have the two best worldwide distribution systems, so Branca is looking for who can provide the highest bid.”

According to the New York Post newspaper, the estate is believed to be keen to extend the deal Michael had in place with Sony Music to cover the 70 songs he wrote, produced and recorded after 2004.

However, the estate wants more money than Sony is prepared to offer.
At present, the label will have control of all recordings made before 2004 for the next few years until it becomes property of Michael’s estate.

A source said, “We’re trying to figure out the terms.”
q.gif

http://www.inquisitr.com/44493/michael-jacksons-song-at-a-bidding-war/

Elizabeth Taylor on Twitter yesterday after she was allowed to talk about her thoughts on "This is It" after a private screening some days ago:

We cannot let his life be in vain / and always done with love. Remember that. Remember him and thank God for him and his genius.
About 13 hours ago from web

See the rest of her messages on her twitter account https://twitter.com/DameElizabeth

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1990 - Janet Jackson's single "Black Cat" hit #1 in the U.S.

2009 - Sony Music Entertainment's Columbia/Epic Label Group released the two-disc album "This Is It" in North America. The set featured the music that inspired Sony Pictures' forthcoming film "MICHAEL JACKSON'S THIS IS IT." This two-disc album was released Internationally on October 26th.

Michael_Jackson_reveals_final_10_Thrilling_UK_Performances_xlarge.jpg

LOL TII isn't a biopic! :unsure: What are they talking about?

THE BIRTH OF NEW JACKSON FANSIn death, the King of Pop gains devotees among the under-18 set

THE BIRTH OF NEW JACKSON FANSIn death, the King of Pop gains devotees among the under-18 set

KALAMAZOO -- The nonstop loop of Michael Jackson music on the radio and constant news stories and specials about him on TV and in print since his June 25 death have given the late pop star a new fan base -- people younger than 18.

Not yet born at the time the singer-dancer began performing at age 5 in 1963 with his brothers as the frontman for The Jackson 5, members of this fresh-faced generation say they have been educated by media coverage about the Gloved One's legend and prompted to become interested in his music.

Those young people who were already fans report that Jackson's passing has reignited their passion for his musical genius.

On Wednesday, ``This Is It,'' a documentary about Jackson's final rehearsals for his London tour, is to be released, which will probably get these newer, young fans even more amped.

``I've kind of grown attached to his music,'' said Sasha Hudson, 14, a freshman at Kalamazoo Central High School who said she has loved Jackson's music all her life. ``I have listened to it every second of the day; I'm even watching `The Wiz' (the remake in which Jackson starred) right now -- my favorite movie.''

After Jackson died, Sasha's relatives gave her CDs and framed photos of the singer, renewing her interest.

She suggested that Jackson's music has mass and lasting appeal because of the diverse topics it addresses and musical styles. ``It's not all about the same thing. You can always find a meaning in his music,'' she said.

Nine years after The Jackson 5 launched, Michael Jackson released his first solo effort, ``Got to Be There'' (1972).

His first solo album as an adult was ``Off the Wall,'' in 1979.

But the album that seems to most resonate with this latest crop of young fans -- including Sasha -- is ``Thriller.''

She said her favorite song is ``Billy Jean,'' from that album.

1982's ``Thriller'' -- and its accompanying title track of the same name -- brought Jackson's popularity to an otherworldly level. The record won eight Grammy Awards and still holds the title for best-selling album of all time.

This past Sunday afternoon, the Kalamazoo Gazette invited children and ``the young at heart'' to the Rave Cityplace 14 theater in downtown Kalamazoo to show off their best ``Thriller'' and other Michael Jackson dance moves.

The dance floor stayed packed for an hour and a half with the under-18 crowd, although all ages were welcome to participate.

Among them was Layatte Williams, 10, a fifth-grader at Kalamazoo Public Schools' Prairie Ridge Elementary School, who arrived nattily dressed in a cobalt-blue suit in a style reminiscent of Jackson. Layatte joined the other kids in doing a smooth moonwalk across the floor.

He said he's always been a fan and, while the ``Thriller'' track ``Beat It'' is his favorite Jackson song, he can appreciate the artist's work from as far back as his Jackson 5 days.

``We love him, and we miss him. We're glad his music is going to live on forever,'' said Layatte's mother, Anita Williams-Johnson, of Kalamazoo.

Sixth-grader Mikayla Langford, 11, and seventh-grader Katherine Johnson, 12, of Linden Grove Middle School in Kalamazoo, struck synchronized poses to the ``Thriller'' song and video decked out in zombie makeup and torn T-shirts. Their teased hair was streaked with gray makeup to perfect their ghoulish getups.

``I always liked him but didn't know a lot of his music until he died,'' Mikayla said.

When asked her favorite Jackson song, Mikayla replied, ``That's like asking me what my favorite breakfast is.'' After thinking long and hard, she named ``Rock My World'' and ``Butterflies.''

Katherine said that since Jackson's death, she has noticed ``it was cool to listen to his music again.'' She said ``Dirty Diana'' is her favorite track.

Joey Welch, 9, a fourth-grader at Edison Environmental Science Academy in Kalamazoo, worked up a sweat perfecting ``Thriller'' dance moves his mom taught him.

``He's pretty cool. I wish he hadn't died,'' Joey said.

Joey's favorite Jackson song is ``Bad,'' but he said he plays all of Jackson's tunes at home, recruiting his sister Reibekah, 10, a fifth-grader at Edison, into Jackson fandom.

Their dad, Joe, said he's been treating the kids to Jackson CDs and movies to help them live a normal life while Reibekah's twin, Cailey, is in the hospital with the H1N1 virus.

Joe Welch said Cailey has been hospitalized for the past month.

``I'm trying keep their minds off of it,'' their father said.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kzgazette/index.ssf?/base/news-36/125665500643040.xml&coll=7&thispage=3

Speak Michael Jackson's Healing Words in Any Language

Speak Michael Jackson's Healing Words in Any Language

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., Oct. 27 /Standard Newswire/ -- Imagine learning the special phrases of the King of Pop in many languages to continue his peaceful, one world legacy.

Phrases he speaks in the This Is It promotion, like "I come in love" and "I love you, I really do," or his correction phrases, "I know you mean well, (but)..." and "Well, what can’t happen again is..." Wouldn't you like to be corrected with the kind, loving phrases of Michael Jackson? Wouldn't you like to be able to correct with the same gentle spirit that Michael Jackson used?

Because language learning has been made so difficult and time consuming, most Michael Jackson fans might not consider the possibility of learning his heritage phrases in other languages. But now that's possible for everyone, thanks to Dr. Pat M. Boone, Colorado author of "How To Get What You Want in Any Language."

The secret to bridging the language gap is the same as building a house. You need a foundation, and, in this case, the foundation to learn another language is less than 100 specific words and phrases. If you can learn those specific words and phrases, the other words, the windows, doors, walls and roof, if you will, are for reference only, and don't need to be memorized.

How can you spread the healing love and kindness of Michael Jackson? Begin by looking at "The Man in the Mirror." Make the change...learn his phrases in other languages and help spread peace throughout the world.

"How To Get What You Want in Any Language" is available on Amazon.com.

http://www.earnedmedia.org/drpb1027.htm

i agree with the other poster, 'this is it' isnt a biopic so why are the protesting we want to see him one last time and i dont care what condition he was in.

I LOVE Alicia Keys! She has always strongly supported Michael!

Oct 27 2009 6:52 AM EDT

Michael Jackson 'Will Always Be An Icon,' Alicia Keys Says

Keys is looking forward to 'Michael Jackson's This Is It' because she loves to 'see him shining.'
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Tim Kash

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1624817/story.jhtmln
(check out link for video of Alicia.)

Alicia Keys said she has been undeniably influenced by Michael Jackson. In the wake of his death in June, the pop icon has been remembered by everyone from Ne-Yo to Akon. When fans go to see the concert film "Michael Jackson's This Is It," in theaters Wednesday, they, like Keys, will once again be reminded of his greatness.

"I have to say that I am absolutely a fan of Michael Jackson. He will always be an icon to the world. And I feel like I have always celebrated his genius and his beautiful heart," Keys told MTV News about Jackson's legacy. "And I'm excited to see ['This Is It'], because I love to see his songs and I love to see him shining."

She said she was excited to learn that his last performances were captured on film for everyone to experience. "Obviously, that's unbelievable," she said. "It's kind of strange that it's all, like, mapped out like that."

The film should remind fans and critics what Keys knew all along about the singer: He was "incredible," as Keys says. She hopes the people who may have forgotten that in the last years of his life will remember. "I think it's going to be a mixture [of emotions]," Keys said. "I think there is going to be some sadness there, because I think we all felt like we lost him too soon.

"He was obviously celebrated and obviously appreciated," she continued. "But I wish that in the last, later years, he was even more celebrated and appreciated. But regardless of the fact, there's no denying he's incredible. It will hopefully show his triumph."

Michael Jackson: "generous, loving human being"

Michael Jackson: "generous, loving human being"

[youtube]FsVYuGwAuR0[/youtube]

Kenny Ortega, like much of the world, grew up with Michael Jackson -- his music, his moves, his sequined superstardom.

But long before they began collaborating on projects, the man behind High School Musical stumbled into a face-to-face moment with a young King (perhaps then a prince) of Pop.

"He was performing with his brothers at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos, California. I was a young apprentice, and I believe, if I'm not mistaken, I was getting ready to go into the musical Oliver," Ortega remembers.

"One afternoon, he was walking out as I was coming out of the rehearsal hall. I sort of stopped dead in my tracks and looked at him. He looked into my eyes, smiled and said, 'Hi, I'm Michael.' I (later) shared that story with him. I said, 'You were the most generous heart then, and you still are today.' That part of Michael just never changed."

He didn't know it then, obviously, but Ortega would have many more chances to chat with Jackson. The pair worked together on Jackson's Dangerous and History tours and This Is It, originally envisioned as a 50-date run at London's O2 Arena this summer. Jackson died June 25 at age 50 from drugs that included the anesthetic propofol.

Ortega was Jackson's creative partner and the director of the This Is It stage show. He directed the film, opening Wednesday for a two-week run, which was culled from more than 100 hours of footage shot between March-June.

"The first time that he called me was just so extraordinary. It was just monumental," Ortega says. "We really did share so many of the same loves. We could just hang out and talk about the world, and we did many times.

"We talked about theater and music and people and ecology and film and history and travel. He was just a really interesting person. He was funny and loved to laugh and loved storytelling. He was just a really fantastic human being."

The This Is It world premiere will be Web cast at 6:30 Tuesday from Los Angeles via the film's Web site. Ortega is expected to attend, along with members of Jackson's band, Snoop Dogg, Smokey Robinson and Zac Efron.

For Ortega and everyone involved, compiling so much footage into a film has been "a real emotional rollercoaster." But he says giving this final piece of Jackson to the fans was his "responsibility."

"Just working with the fabric of this material -- it's such a joy to sit in front of a monitor and to look at Michael and to be just reminded of how special he was and how lucky we all were to be a part of his life," Ortega says. "It was healing in that respect, but also difficult to get through.

"There were days where I just had to step away and take a little walk and kind of grab hold of my emotions. I was a little insecure in the beginning, but I'm glad I went through the process. I feel good and proud and happy with the outcome."

mjthis2.JPG

Jackson was, undeniably, one of the most influential performers of the last century. Several of his albums are among the best-sellers of all time. Thriller, of course, is the biggest worldwide -- period -- 70 million units and counting.

But beyond numbers, Jackson's presence and power could be seen and heard in everyone from Beyoncé and Justin Timberlake to Kanye West and Adam Lambert. And his death sent shockwaves through the world.

Family and friends paid tribute to Jackson during a glitzy memorial service, held 12 days after his death at the Los Angeles Staples Center. The event was seen by 31.1 million U.S. television viewers and one billion around the world. It featured appearances by several singers that Jackson planned to collaborate with during his This Is It shows.

"He was hoping that by doing 50 shows in London, that he would have friends drop by," Ortega says. "He wanted Diana Ross to come and to surprise the audience and to sing with him. Jennifer (Hudson) was one of the people on that list. Mariah (Carey) was a really important person. Justin Timberlake, Will.i.am, Kanye -- there was this list that was ever-growing."

But beyond A-list collaborations, off-the-wall dance routines and thrilling hits, Jackson had bigger reasons for returning to the stage.

"He wanted to do it for a plethora of reasons, beginning with his children. They were now old enough and curious and wanting to know what it was that daddy did and what he loved in his life. He had ecological reasons and messages that he wanted to get across. And the fans meant the world to him. He was in a real good space of mind," Ortega says.

It shares one last important piece of Michael and just really does show in this incredible capacity as musician, architect, choreographer, entertainer -- and good, generous, loving human being."

http://blogs.chron.com/peep/2009/10/michael_jackson_generous_loving.html

"Just working with the fabric of this material -- it's such a joy to sit in front of a monitor and to look at Michael and to be just reminded of how special he was and how lucky we all were to be a part of his life," Ortega says. "It was healing in that respect, but also difficult to get through."
Oh my. :boohoo:

That ^^ was so beautiful. I love hearing Kenny's stories about Michael. So they met a long, long time ago. I really feel that Kenny loves Michael so much and has felt this deep responsibility to show the world the Michael that he knew.

I am disappointed that Kenny is not doing Footloose anymore, but I really think that Kenny needs a break to heal and reflect. It's been non stop Michael for him since last April. I'll be forever thankful to Kenny for stepping up and doing this film when he was so obviously in pain from losing his friend and colleague. Kenny has really given us a gift that Michael wanted to give us.

Thanks to all for the news and mentionings. Thank God for Kenny and crew to share these things with us. On one hand it's great to hear what Michael had planned yet at the same time it hurts to know he never got the chance to pull it off. But still, there's something slightly comforting to know what his ideas were...the pieces of his dream.

That Kalamazo article was very cool, too.

Thank God for Kenny and crew to share these things with us.
:yes: Their stories last night on the MTV red carpet show really made me smile.

On one hand it's great to hear what Michael had planned yet at the same time it hurts to know he never got the chance to pull it off. But still, there's something slightly comforting to know what his ideas were...the pieces of his dream.
I really hope they explain how it was all going to take place too, like how it was all gonna look. Hopefully it will also shut the mouths of those critics who said there was no way Michael could've pulled this off. I know he would've RAWKED it! :punk:

Back