The Daily News Oct 21

mariemarie

Guests
Michael Jackson saw shows as live stage farewell

LONDON (Reuters) – Michael Jackson intended his run of 50 live concerts in London to be his live performance farewell and an event to share with his growing children, the director of his new movie said on Tuesday.

In the last few days of his life, Jackson appeared to have "gone into another gear" while rehearsing for the concerts and showed no signs of drug dependency, Kenny Ortega told Reuters in an interview.

"This is It," a feature-length film built around footage of the final Los Angeles rehearsals before Jackson's death on June 25 aged 50, hits theatres around the world on October 28 and looks set to be one of the biggest movies of the year.

"This was it, this was his final curtain call. I think that what Michael wanted to do was to retire from performance and focus on film-making and other things," said Ortega, who had been working with Jackson choreographing the This Is It gigs.

"He had said to me before in confidence that he didn't intend to be out there in the world performing for much longer, so this opportunity came along where he thought that he was young enough to be able to do what it was that he loved, he wanted to share it with his children ... to do it for the fans."

Asked whether Jackson had shown any signs of dependency on drugs, Ortega replied: "No."

Jackson died of a prescription drug overdose including a powerful sleep agent and sedatives. His sudden death triggered fevered speculation about his physical state.

"He was excited, looking forward to (it), happy, pleased with what we had accomplished up until that moment and looking forward to finishing up the rehearsals in Los Angeles and moving on to London," Ortega said.

"Those last few nights of rehearsals it seemed like he'd gone into another gear, and everyone really believed that we were about to embark on something that was going to be rather remarkable."
NEW FOOTAGE

Reporters in London were shown about 12 minutes from the concert film and accompanying trailer.

Jackson was rehearsing "Human Nature," from his 1982 album "Thriller," apparently singing on stage himself and working with musicians to coordinate music with his dance moves.

He also performed "The Way You Make Me Feel" with a group of dancers, and appeared to be moving relatively well and freely.

Ortega said that at no time did Jackson suggest he was doing the concerts for the sake of money. Despite enjoying one of the most successful careers in pop music that spanned 40 years, Jackson left debts estimated by some to be around $500 million.

The string of shows and other projects with concert promoter AEG Live would have gone some way to clearing those arrears.

Sony Pictures paid $60 million for the footage of Jackson in This Is It, and Jackson's estate and AEG Live were to share the profits. Pre-sales ahead of the theatrical release have been particularly strong in the United States, Japan and Britain.

A two-disc Jackson album, also entitled "This Is It," goes on sale internationally on October 26 and in North America on October 27. It is being released by Sony Music's Columbia/Epic Label Group, which, along with Sony Pictures, is a unit of Sony Corp.

(Editing by Jon Hemming)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091020/music_nm/us_jackson

Kenny Ortega: Michael Jackson Was 'Excited' For London Concerts

101965-michael_jackson_617_409.jpg

In the last few days of his life, Jackson also appeared to have "gone into another gear" and showed no signs of drug dependency, Kenny Ortega told Reuters in an interview.

"This is It," a feature-length film built around footage of the final Los Angeles rehearsals before Jackson's death on June 25 aged 50, hits theatres around the world on October 28 and looks set to be one of the biggest movies of the year.

http://www.billboard.com/news/kenny...-michael-jackson-was-excited-1004024990.story

Michael Jackson Charity Track To Raise More Money

October 20, 2009: MICHAEL JACKSON's hit track WE ARE THE WORLD is set to raise even more money for good causes - the release form signed by the superstar to give the single proceeds to charity is to go under the hammer at a benefit auction.

MORE http://www.newkerala.com/nkfullnews-1-134569.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1996 - The government of Kuala Lumpur granted Michael Jackson permission to hold a concert. Jackson had been rejected earlier in the month and three years before.

2001 - Michael Jackson performed at the "United We Stand - What More Can I Give" concert.

united-we-stand-what-more-can-i-give(6)-m-4.jpg

United_We_Stand_14.jpg

Omarion Is 'Definitely' Going To See 'Michael Jackson's This Is It'

Omarion Is 'Definitely' Going To See 'Michael Jackson's This Is It'

'I really feel connected to him, just like the world does,' O says of the late pop star.

281x211.jpg

As "Michael Jackson's This Is It" documentary gets closer to its October 28 theatrical release date, finally giving fans a chance to see how the King of Pop's last days unfolded, artists whose careers have been influence by MJ have been speaking out about him and their excitement about the film.

Ne-Yo said he'll be one of the first in line to catch a screening, while Justin Timberlake is looking forward to the most intimate portrait yet of the fallen icon. Now former B2K frontman Omarion has aired his thoughts on "This Is It" to MTV News, admitting that while he plans to see the doc, it remains a "touchy subject" for him.

"[Jackson] did not just inspire everything that I do, but I really feel connected to him, just like the world does," O explained. "And from an artist's standpoint, these are the things that I have to ask myself, like, 'Why did everyone draw to him the way that they drew to him? Why did everyone feel the way that I feel about him?' And I mean, like, not 10,000 people or 100,000 people. I mean, like, 10 million — millions and millions."

Omarion recalled the first time he saw MJ in concert. He couldn't remember the exact time period, but the impression the show left on him was unforgettable.

"My mom took me because my mom was a fan, and I had this big Michael Jackson T-shirt on, and we were in, like, super, super-high nosebleeds, but I felt him all the way in the nosebleeds section," he said.

So while Jackson's passing — and the film that follows the singer as he prepped for his London comeback concerts — remains sensitive territory for O, he's certain he'll be finding his way to a theater to take in the action.

"I'm definitely going to check out the film," he said. "It's sad that he's gone, but I'm definitely going to carry it on for him."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1624321/20091020/story.jhtml

Michael Jackson's father to attend Pocono Mountains Film Festival

Michael Jackson's father to attend Pocono Mountains Film Festival

bilde

After much reshuffling, the guest lineup for the Pocono Mountains Film Festival looks set.

And one of the guests is sure to elicit some raised eyebrows.

Joe Jackson, the controversial father of the late "King of Pop" Michael Jackson, will be on hand to accept the festival's Humanitarian Award at its closing banquet Saturday night.

Jackson will be accepting the award on behalf of his son Michael, who died in June.

The banquet is being held Saturday at Peppe's Ristorante in East Stroudsburg at 6:30 p.m.

The appearance of Jackson is good news to PMFF founder Bridget O. Davis, who had been disappointed by celebrity cancellations earlier this month.

"It's been really hectic," Davis said about coping with losing and gaining celebrity appearances. "We tried to take it up a notch this year and get some really great guests. It was a greater challenge, but it's made things harder."

Joe Jackson has been accused of mental and physical abuse of Michael Jackson and his siblings and has been a lightning rod for controversy.

He replaces actress Jessica Biel, whose representatives gave verbal confirmation of her intended attendance, according to Davis, had to cancel her local in-person appearance earlier this month.

Biel is shooting the June 2010 movie release "The A-Team" in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and couldn't fly in for the local event.

She was the first choice to receive the Humanitarian Award for starting the Make a Difference Network, a charity dedicated to raising money and awareness for non-profit organizations.

She will, however appear at the festival via satellite from Vancouver to accept the festival's Career Achievement Award. The career award has previously gone to Oscar winners like Cliff Robertson and Jack Palance.

The scheduling issues have taught Davis a lesson — make sure you have written confirmation.

"From now on, that's what we'll be waiting for, to have it in writing," she said.

The film festival got a lift Tuesday when officials at the Pocono Community Theater on South Courtland Street in East Stroudsburg — where the festival's movies are being shown — announced as part of the festival, it will be premiering the new animated family film "Astro Boy" a day before it hits national theaters.

The new movie, with the voices of Nicolas Cage and Freddy Highmore, starts Friday around the country. In conjunction with the film festival, it will premiere with a free showing at the Pocono Community Theater on Thursday at 7 p.m.

It will be the theater's only showing of the movie.

A suggested $5 per person donation benefitting the non-profit Pocono Community Theater will be collected at the door.

"We're one of 10 theaters in the country that gets to premiere it a day early," theater executive director Eric Hantson said. "That's exciting."

The festival runs Thursday through Sunday at the Pocono Community Theater.

It features the film work of local, regional and national filmmakers in competitions like best screenplay, best feature, best documentary, best short film and best student film.

For more information, visit poconomountainsfilmfestival.net.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091021/NEWS/910210336/-1/NEWS01

Michael jackson's first fan ne-yo

MICHAEL JACKSON'S FIRST FAN NE-YO

R'n'B singer Ne-Yo has revealed he wants to be ''one of the first'' people to watch the musical documentary about his idol's planned tour.

ne-yo_2602709.jpg

Ne-Yo wants to be "one of the first" to watch 'Michael Jackson's This Is It'.

The R'n'B star - who has often spoken about his adoration for the late pop singer and paid tribute to him at the BET awards with a rendition of 'I'll Be There' - is determined to watch the musical documentary at the earliest possible opportunity.

He said: "All I've seen so far is what they've shown on TV - the little trailer that's all I've seen. But I'm definitely looking forward to being one of the first in a theatre somewhere to check that out."

The film is due to air on October 28 and will document the rehearsals for Michael's planned 50-date London residency 'This Is It'.

Meanwhile, the 29-year-old singer-songwriter has also spoken about his determination to follow in the 'Thriller' singer's footsteps.

He added to MTV.com: "Michael Jackson is half the reason I even sing. I've talked about how I learned to sing listening to Mike and Stevie Wonder and people of that nature. He's still an inspiration to me. I aspire to be what he was, as far as musically, as far as philanthropy and you name it, Michael Jackson was cream of the crop and I'm just trying to follow in his footsteps."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/michael-jacksons-first-fan-neyo_1119565

Back