The Daily News Feb 16

mariemarie

Guests
The Beatles, Michael Jackson, and U2 Make Vatican Newspaper’s List of Best Albums; Bob Dylan Snubbed

The Beatles, Oasis, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson and U2 may be one step closer to paradise. But Bob Dylan is still “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.”
The Vatican has previously denounced rock music as the devil’s work but in a surprise change of tune on Sunday the Holy See’s official newspaper, L’ Osservatore Romano, published what it called “a semiserious guide” to the top ten rock and pop albums of all time.

The list included The Beatles’ “Revolver,” which was given the top slot, Pink Floyd’s “The Dark Side of The Moon”, Oasis’ 1995 bestseller “(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?” and Michael Jackson’s blockbuster “Thriller.”

“Some songs seem to have been written yesterday…. while others still send shivers down the spine for their illuminating simplicity and musical thrust” the writers of the article said about “Thriller.” Of Oasis’ record, L’Osservatore Romano said “the album was never equaled” in part because of the disruptive in-fighting by the Gallagher brothers, the leaders of the group.

The “little handbook of musical resistance” was published in an attempt to offer an alternative to mediocre and cheesy tunes that feature in Italian popular festivals like the 60-year old one of Sanremo, which starts Tuesday in the north-western Italian region of Liguria and is widely-watched on television.

The albums are perfect listening material for anyone who finds himself marooned on a desert island, the Holy See’s newspaper noted.
Other records that made the top ten include U2’s “Achtung Baby”, Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumours”, Donald Fagen’s “The Nightfly,” Carlos Santana’s “Supernatural,” Paul Simon’s “Graceland” and David Crosby’s “If I Could Only Remember My Name.”

The article by Giuseppe Fiorentino and Gaetano Vallini said that Dylan was excluded from the list despite his “great poetic vein” because he paved the way for generations of unprofessional singer-songwriters who have “harshly tested the ears and patience of listeners” with their tormented stories.

In the last two years, under new editor- in-chief Gian Maria Vian, L’ Osservatore Romano has shed some of its serious image and taken a more open approach, finding merit even in popular movies such as the “Harry Potter” series and “The Lord of the Rings.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010...papers-list-of-best-albums-bob-dylan-snubbed/

SOUND AND VISION - LIMITED EDITION MICHAEL JACKSON IPOD

In aid of Cancer Research UK

!BltR6tgCGk~$(KGrHqQOKj!EtlUqJzl3BLcw!Di5Qg~~_35.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOUND-AND-VIS...usic_Music_Memorabilia_LE?hash=item20af724e7b

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1997 - Michael Jackson performed at a tribute to Elizabeth Taylor at her AIDS benefit in Los Angeles, CA. ABC-TV aired the event as "Happy Birthday, Elizabeth" on February 27, 1997.

2005 - Michael Jackson was released from Marian Medical Center after a brief hospitalization for flu-like symptoms. Jackson had been admitted the previous day.

[youtube]vycKF9RoSsg[/youtube]​

i love doing this :D

pictures of the day is
jackson_thriller.jpg

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1975 - The Cher Show debuted as an elaborate, all-star television special on February 16, 1975 featuring Flip Wilson, Bette Midler and special guest Elton John. This same day Sony Bono was going 40 (He was born of february 16, 1945). A month later, on to celebrate her show`s first month on air, by March 16, 1975, with help from Janet, Cher introduces a performance from The Jackson 5 of 'I Am Love'. The group also perform as a choir singing 'The World Is A Mess' and Cher joins them in an amazing 'medley' of their hits. While this great medley, the Jackson 5 performe : I Want You Back, I'll Be There, Never Can Say Goodbye, The Love You Save and Dancing Machine. A terrific one.

1976 - By Rich Little Show The Jackson 5, minus Jermaine, take part in a couple of skits and perform 'Forever Came Today'. In the same show "Welcome Back Kotter" spoof with Rich Little as Kotter and the Jacksons as The Sweathogs; and "Duck Soup" spoof with Rich Little and all the Jacksons playing Groucho Marx simultaneously.

1979 – The Jacksons perform their Destiny Tour in Glasglow, England.

1997 - Michael arrived in company of Elizabeth Taylor to celebrate her 65th birthday at the star-studded gala, "Happy Birthday Elizabeth - A Celebration Of Life" at Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. Michael was making his first appearance since the recent birth of his son, whose godmother is Elizabeth Taylor. Michael performed "Elizabeth, I Love You", a song that he just recorded in Montreux and gets a standing ovation by the galaxy of stars attending the event. He wrote it especially for the occasion, and sat by Elizabeth's side throughout the show.
By this same scenary the theatre sequences of Michael`s You Are not Alone, were shot, in Hollywood. All swimming-pool sequences were shot at Raleigh Stages. Location shooting took place at Death Valley [Monterey] as well as at Lake Powell [Utah]. Editing and special effects realization took place at "Pacific Ocean Post" Studio and "525 Post Production" Studio in Santa Monica, California. It took 5 days to complete shooting of the clip "You Are Not Alone", plus another 5 days to edit and create the special effects.
The video clip is starring Michael Jackson and his then-wife Lisa Marie Presley. According to director Wayne Isham, the very last scene of Michael and Lisa Marie was filmed without the couple's knowledge. Isham had previously worked with Michael for the "Billie Jean" video clip, at that time as an electrician.
The World première of the video clip took place on July 28, 1995 on U.S. TV-channels ABC, BET and MTV. For the release of "HIStory On Film - Volume II", sequences of Michael in an "angelic look" had been included. This particular clip version can only be found on the video clips compilation as these sequences have not been included in the officially released clip intended for network television.

2004 - Michael, Grace, the kids, Omer Bhatti & Dr Sebi arrive in Old Snowman in Colorado where Michael has rented the Meanwhile ranch (close to Aspen).

2005 - Katherine, Joe & Jermaine visit Michael at the hospital before he goes back to Neverland to rest.

2009 – The media coverage of the upcoming auction on april at the Beverly Hilton, of items from Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch, is featured in many countries. Apparently some of the proceeds will go to charity. The auction house is also selling a five catalogue box set for $100 a piece. The contents include, amongst other oddities, a stretch Rolls Royce, a collection of jewel-encrusted clothing, a larger-than-life superman figure and some children’s toys, all objects suppossed to be on auction.

Last edited:
Our life after Michael - Jermaine JackSON

THE three orphaned children of Michael Jackson have been going to a Jehovah's Witness church, according to their uncle Jermaine Jackson.
"They go to the (Kingdom) Hall with my mother. We want to keep their feet on the ground," Jermaine said during his visit to Sydney.
"We want to make sure that this success doesn't go to their heads."
He also confirmed the children were in counselling, adding that "with the first passing of Michael they had to have someone to explain that to them". With the children entrusted to his Jackson matriarch Katherine's custody, Jermaine said the 79-year-old was coping with Blanket, 7, Paris, 11 and Prince Michael, 12.
"It's easy for her - she brought us up," he said.
"My mother is very much alive, she's very smart. She knows the name of every type of tree."
Jermaine, in town to promote The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty which is screening on Foxtel's Arena channel, revealed Michael's children played with his son Jermajesty every day and with Tito's grandchild Royal.

Of the Foxtel show, he said: "We just wanted to show we are no different from any other family. It's my job now to try to carry the brothers on.
" I have the ability to lead, not just be a lead singer but be a leader. I'm ready to go, go, go."
Comparing Michael to Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa, Jermaine said: "He's special and he's a gift from God. I saw what he did with a blessing that God gave him. He's in the Guinness Book Of Records."
But he declined to comment on Michael's autopsy report because it was under investigation.

there is video inside
Here is link:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...-jermaine-speaks/story-e6frf96o-1225831089359

Estefan for Spanish 'We Are The World'

Estefan for Spanish 'We Are The World'

Gloria Estefan has announced plans to bring together Latin stars to record a Spanish version of 'We Are The World' to further aid Haiti relief efforts.

According to Contactmusic, the Cuban singer has enlisted superstars that include Jennifer Lopez, Shakira and Enrique Iglesias to be apart of the remake.

Lionel Richie, who originally collaborated with artists such as Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen and Tina Turner to record the 1985 single to help the continent of Africa, recently re-recorded the song with Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and Jennifer Hudson for a new version to aid the Caribbean country.

Other artists involved in the Spanish-titled 'Somos El Mundo' are Ricky Martin, Paulina Rubio and Marc Anthony.

Original co-writer Richie has given his permission for the remake.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a203089/estefan-for-spanish-we-are-the-world.html

Michael Jackson art in the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station

Despite early opposition to the plan when it was proposed by City Council member Letitia James last summer, the Post reports that Downtown Brooklyn's Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station, where Michael Jackson's Martin Scorsese-directed, Wesley Snipes backup-danced music video for "Bad" was shot, will be getting an MJ mural.

The public artwork, for which an artist has yet to be selected, will occupy the street-level wall at the station's 45 Hoyt Street entrance (right here) although more ambitious plans to rename the station Hoyt-King of Pop, or place a shiny plaque therein have been abandoned. The mural is being billed as a tourist attraction, so something crazy and colorful is clearly in order, and Kehinde Wiley and Jeff Koons both have experience with portraying the Gloved One.

http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeas...ation-getting-michael-jackson-mural-after-all

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/*****_art_on_tracko_for_subway_EwbX1QdKahhDCMfXBbBnVJ

Our life after Michael - Jermaine JackSON

THE three orphaned children of Michael Jackson have been going to a Jehovah's Witness church, according to their uncle Jermaine Jackson.
"They go to the (Kingdom) Hall with my mother. We want to keep their feet on the ground," Jermaine said during his visit to Sydney.
"We want to make sure that this success doesn't go to their heads."
He also confirmed the children were in counselling, adding that "with the first passing of Michael they had to have someone to explain that to them". With the children entrusted to his Jackson matriarch Katherine's custody, Jermaine said the 79-year-old was coping with Blanket, 7, Paris, 11 and Prince Michael, 12.
"It's easy for her - she brought us up," he said.
"My mother is very much alive, she's very smart. She knows the name of every type of tree."
Jermaine, in town to promote The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty which is screening on Foxtel's Arena channel, revealed Michael's children played with his son Jermajesty every day and with Tito's grandchild Royal.

Of the Foxtel show, he said: "We just wanted to show we are no different from any other family. It's my job now to try to carry the brothers on.
" I have the ability to lead, not just be a lead singer but be a leader. I'm ready to go, go, go."
Comparing Michael to Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa, Jermaine said: "He's special and he's a gift from God. I saw what he did with a blessing that God gave him. He's in the Guinness Book Of Records."
But he declined to comment on Michael's autopsy report because it was under investigation.

there is video inside
Here is link:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...-jermaine-speaks/story-e6frf96o-1225831089359

Jermaine, Jermaine, Jermaine......what success is he talking about in regards to the children, their fathers success? and whats that about being ready to lead? lead what?!.....I swear its things like this that he says that just rubs me the wrong way.:doh::scratch:

1976 - By Rich Little Show The Jackson 5, minus Jermaine, take part in a couple of skits and perform 'Forever Came Today'. In the same show "Welcome Back Kotter" spoof with Rich Little as Kotter and the Jacksons as The Sweathogs; and "Duck Soup" spoof with Rich Little and all the Jacksons playing Groucho Marx simultaneously.

If anyone has that "Welcome Back Kotter" spoof clip I would LOVE to see it. I can't find it on youtube.​

Back