The Daily News Des 1 - Top searches of 2009

mariemarie

Guests
There are several articles today that are reporting, without any surprise to us, that Michal Jackson was the biggest search in 2009. I personally don't find any use to report that any further.

Yahoo crowns Michael Jackson as 2009's king of the Internet amid ... -

Yahoo: Michael Jackson leads top ten searches of 2009 ( - Internet )

Michael Jackson Leads Top Ten Searches of 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON - JACKSON DVD SET FOR JANUARY RELEASE

The DVD of MICHAEL JACKSON's concert rehearsal movie THIS IS IT will be released to coincide with the seven-month anniversary of the King of Pop's death.

The release will feature more than 90 minutes of extra footage, including interviews with director Kenny Ortega and the cast of the ill-fated This Is It show and behind-the-scenes documentaries.

The Jackson estate has allowed Ortega to include the full videos to Thriller and Smooth Criminal in the DVD, which will hit stores on 26 January (10).
Jackson died from a drug overdose on 25 June (09). This Is It has grossed more than $165 million (GBP103 million) worldwide since its release in October (09).

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/jackson-dvd-set-for-january-release_1124168

Michael Jackson death charges expected to take months

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A decision on possible criminal charges over the June death of Michael Jackson is "months rather than weeks away", the Los Angeles Times on Monday quoted law enforcement sources as saying.
Authorities have consulted medical experts and say there is much evidence to review, the Los Angeles Times reported, and no charges are expected to be filed before 2010.

Police and prosecutors could not be reached for comment.

Police have been investigating Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray for months after coroners ruled Jackson's death a homicide. The official report said the anesthetic propofol and the sedative lorazepam were the primary drugs that led to the "Thriller" singer's sudden death on June 25..

Authorities have searched the Houston and Las Vegas offices of Murray, who has denied any wrongdoing and who was with Jackson, 50, on the morning of his death. He had been caring for the singer in Los Angeles as he prepared for a series of comeback concerts in the weeks before his death.

Meanwhile, Sony Pictures announced that the "This Is It" concert film compiled of Jackson's rehearsal footage would be released on DVD on January 26. The movie has earned more than $240 million at the global box-office since its October 28 release.

The DVD will include two documentaries on preparations for the planned comeback tour, features on the audition process and a Jackson memories feature.

http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/idINIndia-44357920091130

'The Offical Michael Jackson OPUS' coming December 7

Out December 7, The Offical Michael Jackson OPUS was begun with the artist before his death in June, and it has been approved by his estate, making it the only official book to come out after his death. The enormous book for the ultimate fan is published by Kraken Opus, which also published Prince's 21 Nights.

At 404 pages and weighing in at 26 pounds (11.7 kg); the enormous leather-bound book includes 300 photos - some rare or previously unpublished - plus fan artwork and tributes, and statements by figures including Reverend Jesse Jackson, Quincy Jones, Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Shaquille O'Neal, Paula Abdul, John Landis, and Sugar Ray Leonard. It comes packaged in a silk-covered case with an ink drawing by Nate Giorgio.

boxopen_book1_2b342_269743t.jpg

A particularly notable feature of the book is an innovation the company calls "Opus Reality:" Log onto the Kraken site, then hold up some of the book's photos to a webcam, and music and video compoents will come alive on your computer screen.

Up until the book's release date, a preview copy of the book is at the Opus Store, 10-13 King Street, London.

The book is available for pre-order at $249/£199/€219 from the Opus Store and from Ticketmaster. The company warns that books ordered now, or any time after September 30, will likely not arrive until the New Year.

http://www.krakenopus.com

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/the-offical-michael-jackson-opus-coming-december-7-1831746.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1982 - Michael Jackson's album "Thriller" was released (yesterday)

michaeljackson-withquincyjones.jpg

Michael-Jackson-Quincy-Jones.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Daily News Des 1

Thanks for the information. As for MJ as King of the searches... ok... it's fine, but expected, I think.

I am now waiting for: Opus (Dec. 12) and TII DVD (Jan. 26).

Depressing... I should be waiting for February 2010 at London :(

Michael #1 Yahoo's searches for 2009

MICHAEL LIVES IN CYBERSPACE: Michael Jackson tops both the list of Yahoo!’s Top 10 Most Searched Music Artists for 2009 and Overall Searches. Following The King of Pop, the music list includes 2) Britney Spears, 3) Beyonce, 4) Miley Cyrus, 5) Rihanna, 6) Lady Gaga, 7) Taylor Swift, 8) Jessica Simpson, 9) Mariah Carey and 10) Vanessa Hudgens. Spears was the only other musical artist aside from Jackson to appear on the Overall list at #5 with 2) Twilight, 3) WWE and 4) Megan Fox, 6) Naruto, 7) American Idol, 8) Kim Kardashian, 9) NASCAR and 10) Runescape. (12/1p)

www.hitsdailydouble.com

Re: Michael #1 Yahoo's searches for 2009

he allso tops googles list of most searched for words I believe.

Kim Kardashian? :mello:

Michael Jackson tops web search charts for 2009

Michael Jackson tops Web's search charts in 2009
By MICHAEL LIEDTKE (AP Technology Writer)
From Associated Press
December 01, 2009 4:11 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO - Michael Jackson's stunning death made him the Internet's biggest star this year.

The quest to find out what happened to Jackson in his final hours on June 25 and celebrate his legacy elevated the late entertainer to the top of the Internet's search charts for 2009. On Yahoo, it ended singer Britney Spears' four-year reign on top.

The annual lists released Tuesday were compiled separately by Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc., which combined handle two-thirds of the world's Internet searches.

Jackson also grabbed the top spot on the third-largest U.S. search engine, Microsoft Corp.'s Bing, which announced its rankings Sunday. AOL, which relies on Google's search technology, also had Jackson at No. 1.

The lists are meant to provide a reading on our cultural pulse.

As usual, people using Yahoo's search engine in 2009 seemed to be most interested in celebrities and other diversions, even against the sobering backdrop of the worst recession in 70 years.

Google's audience seem more interested in using the Internet to connect with friends and family.

The online hangout Facebook and Tuenti, a similar socializing site in Spain, both made Google's Top 10, as did the popular communications tool Twitter. Microsoft's latest Windows operating system also grabbed a spot. Singer Lady Gaga was the only other celebrity besides Jackson on Google's Top 10.

Google, which processes more than six times the search volume that Yahoo does, has had a more diverse mix in its annual search rankings. The self-proclaimed King of Pop follows former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin (2008) and Apple Inc.'s iPhone (2007) in Google's top spot.

Besides Jackson, the other new entrants on Yahoo's Top 10 list this year were: No. 2, "Twilight," the vampire story that has spawned two movies, including the recently released "New Moon," that are drawing hordes of teenage girls and their mothers; No. 4, Megan Fox, an actress who starred in the movie "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen;" No. 8, Kim Kardashian, part of a family with their own reality TV series; and No. 9, NASCAR, an automobile racing league.

"New Moon" also made Google's Top 10.

The other half of Yahoo's list consisted of 2008 holdovers. With the defending champion Spears dropping to fifth, the others were: No. 3, WWE, or World Wrestling Entertainment; No. 6, Naruto, a character created for the Japanese art form known as anime; No. 7, top-rated television series "American Idol;" and No. 10, RuneScape, an online video game.

Barack Obama made Yahoo's top searches list in 2008 as a presidential candidate and the President-elect, but fell off after he took office in 2009. The others falling out of the Top 10 were all actresses: Miley Cyrus, Jessica Alba, Lindsay Lohan and Angelina Jolie.

Google also said Obama was among search requests that declined the most in 2009. Others losing steam included singer Amy Winehouse and actor Heath Ledger, whose January 2008 death triggered a searching frenzy.

Although the economy couldn't compete with entertainment in 2009, the hard times clearly weighed on people's minds. "Coupons" and "unemployment" were the most requested searches tied to finances, according to Yahoo.

Ask.com, another major search engine, focused its list on the most popular questions posed on its search engine. "How do I get out of debt?" was the second-ranking question of the year.

No. 1? "How much should I weigh?"

---

Re: Michael Jackson tops web search charts for 2009

How cool, thanks for posting.

I was reading this today, kind of surprised it was never posted here. That's huge news and was reported by over 1000 media outlets around the world. 2009 belongs to MJ. He is #1 in everything.

This is good news..however, I wish that he recognized for the many other great things that he has done and deserved to be acknowledged for this year.

And *this* is why him not winning "Man of the Year", "Artist of the Year", whatever, is total b.s. Entertainment aside, he had a bigger impact on the world this year than any other phenomena. It's all in the search engines... (Also, the rest of the list makes me really sad for society. Where are our priorities?...Celebrities, gadgets, movies, weight...:no:)

Yeah I read about this. He killed the internet hehe.. Even WIKIPEDIA crashed. GOOGLE crashed. They all went offline for a while becauseof the server load.

Michael Jackson, the only man who could single handedly break the internet.

^ Indeed.

I loathe that they call him the "self-proclaimed king of pop" though. Ugh, that's just wrong.

It was reported in yesterdays thread. Im merging this with that one :)
Allthough my personal feelings towards this news isn't...lets say I wish it wasn't so.

Yeah I read about this. He killed the internet hehe.. Even WIKIPEDIA crashed. GOOGLE crashed. They all went offline for a while becauseof the server load.

even the internet couldn't handle Mike. "I'm too much for you, baby!" LOL

the good thing of this, is that a lot of people are discovering this genius of music.

I see Yahoo's Top 10 Searches, I was amazed, Michael is now crown 2009's "King of Yahoo". I'm also glad Naruto is on the Top 10 list of Yahoo. Hmm, I wonder if Naruto can be next years "King of Yahoo".

I am sorry but this hurts me. I know the reason why he was searched and it saddens me. I know MJ would have been the biggest news of this year with his concerts. To think at the first part of this year, Michael was the biggest news in breaking all the records at O2. Yes, he is breaking records now but it is because of his death. It is hurtful to me. He would have been back home this month and to pick back up the tour in January 2010.

the cops aren't even done with the investigation, but the media machine will continue to shape the minds of those who don't want to really read what's up. they keep blasting out their spin and idea on the cause of death, for those too lazy to read past the big bold print headline.

I do not know about some of you, but I am finding myself just angry with everything now. I guess this is the end of the year and I know what could have been, what should have been, etc. and to know MJ death did not have to happen. To see how some people in the media treated him in life (not so much the public, I have ALWAYS believe the overall public loved MJ but the media did not want to show or talk to people who liked MJ) and how they are now giving him a love. I am bitter and I sorry if I am coming off like that. Yes, I am reading comments all over this board and I just want to scream. I know this death did NOt have to happen if ONE thing was done. RESPONSIBLITY.

I can not agree more.... :clapping::wub:

:lmao:..I love you....and yes Only Our Michael.....he broke anther record!!!!

I do not know about some of you, but I am finding myself just angry with everything now. I guess this is the end of the year and I know what could have been, what should have been, etc. and to know MJ death did not have to happen. To see how some people in the media treated him in life (not so much the public, I have ALWAYS believe the overall public loved MJ but the media did not want to show or talk to people who liked MJ) and how they are now giving him a love. I am bitter and I sorry if I am coming off like that. Yes, I am reading comments all over this board and I just want to scream. I know this death did NOt have to happen if ONE thing was done. RESPONSIBLITY.
I feel that way too. Angry. Sobbing anger. Then hurt.

For you. :better:

^ Indeed.

I loathe that they call him the "self-proclaimed king of pop" though. Ugh, that's just wrong.

Ditto!!
"Self-proclaimed"??? They wish...This would be hilarious if it were not SO pathetic.

He is the King of Everything.

Back