The Columbus Symphony to Pay Tribute to the King of Pop on June 25

Ankita

Proud Member
The Columbus Symphony to Pay Tribute to the King of Pop June 25
From his early years with the Jackson 5 to his mega-hit album Thriller and beyond, Michael Jackson stormed the music industry with hit after hit. Windborne Productions' "The Music of Michael Jackson" takes you through each era of this storied performer from "ABC," "I'll Be There," and "Got to Be There" through "Beat It," "Thriller," "Rock With You," "The Way You Make Me Feel," and many, many more. Join conductor Larry Baird and the Columbus Symphony for an evening filled with fabulous music spanning 40 years of Michael Jackson's influential and celebrated career.

The 2011 Nationwide Insurance Picnic with the Pops presents the Columbus Symphony in The Music of Michael Jackson at Chemical Abstracts Service (2540 Olentangy River Rd.) on Saturday, June 25. Gates open at 6pm. Concert begins at 8:15pm. Tickets are $20 for adults and $8 for children ages 3-14 when purchased by phone at 614.228.8600, online at 2011 Columbus Symphony Picnic With The Pops, in person at the Ohio Theatre Ticket Office (39 E. State St.), or at the gate on the night of the performance. Children 2 and under are free. Discounted adult tickets are available at central Ohio Giant Eagle locations for $18.

This performance is made possible through the generous support of title sponsor Nationwide Insurance and host, Chemical Abstracts Service. Additional support is provided by presenting sponsors The Blackwell, Catering by Design, John Gerlach & Company, LLP and Live! Technologies, Inc.; concert sponsors Giant Eagle, Lasting Impressions Event Rentals, Messer Construction; and supporting sponsors Donatos Pizza, Graeter's Ice Cream, Hamburg Fireworks, and Heidelberg Distributing.

About The Music of Michael Jackson
Bridging the gulf between pop and classical music, Windborne Productions' newest show, The Music of Michael Jackson, is a program that extends the listening experience of Michael's exceptional tunes. Performed by the Columbus Symphony and amplified with a full band and vocals, conductor Larry Baird and his ensemble capture Michael's distinct sound while presenting some familiar as well as new musical colors.

Performer James Delisco delivers a fabulous rendition of Michael Jackson's vocals. Delisco grew up listening to Michael and even met him at a performance in Jacksonville, FL. "James has that rare combination of a fabulous voice, athletic dance moves, and audience sensitivity where he understands what the audience is looking for and needs from the performers on stage. And he delivers," says conductor/arranger Brent Havens. "He has an uncanny ability to make the right move on stage or say the right thing just as the audience is looking for it. It's amazing to see."

This symphonic/pop hybrid has met with riotous approval at both ends of the hall. Many classical musicians also enjoy the change of pace. "So many of the musicians grew up with this music much like we did," says Havens. "They may not have studied it to the extent that my musicians have studied it, but they are certainly familiar with the music. Everyone knows the Thriller album, as it's one of the best selling albums of all time."

As always, we wanted to keep the foundation of the music as close to the originals as we could and then add additional colors to enhance what Michael had done," says Havens. "The wonderful thing with an orchestra is that you have an entire palette of sounds to call upon. The band is reproducing what Michael did as closely as possible within the constraints of personnel, and then having an orchestra behind the band gives the music richness, a whole new feel, a whole different sense of color but still preserving the wonderful music that he originally produced."

Havens understood that Michael Jackson fans would want to hear the original, familiar elements of the music. He tries to stay as close to the originals as possible and use the orchestra for enhancement. With a 50-piece orchestra hanging on his every cue, Havens had a large landscape to work with. "And having world class musicians in every city to work with, it makes the music even that much more compelling." The show has proven a great way to introduce a whole New Group of fans to the symphony experience. "As with our other shows, I'm sure there are people who are going to come out who have never seen their city's symphony orchestra, and this allows them to experience something new along with the music that they already love," says Havens.

Link-

http://columbus.broadwayworld.com/a...he-King-of-Pop-June-25-20110531#ixzz1NxWdH5hx

Please leave a commet on the link page so we have more people writing/sharing positive news articles regarding Michael. Thankyou.

This was posted by a fan named chauny on another forum---worth reading---

Anybody in the area or those who can drive to Columbus to see this show....... PLEASE DO!!!

Go online and get ur tickets NOW! You will not be sorry.

The Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra performed "The Music of Michael Jackson" featuring James Delisco back in March 2011 and let me tell u......never did I imagine that the show would be as SPECTACULAR as it was!!!!!!

When I say that James's interpretation of MJ's vocals and dance moves and even his walk and demeanor is UNCANNY, I am telling u at times it was SPOOKY!
smile.gif

And it never comes off as fake or forced...this guy is the real deal.

He doesn't impersonate MJ, he PERFORMS MJ.

It was the only time I've gone to the BPO (normally an older, reserved crowd) and seen people literally DANCING IN THE AISLES and singing every word.

He would interact with the audience and u had grown women and men calling out "Michael" all night and racing to hold his hand and shake his hand when he came into the audience to meet people and sing to them.

I'm telling u....My mom said she would go back to see this show in a heartbeat and that the night was like MJ was "alive" again.

And truly it was....it was MAGICAL.
smile.gif

The aura of MJ was all around us.

Kids, teens, adults, elderly people alike....many dressed like MJ.

James even had the outfits down pat for songs like Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller.

He does J5/Jacksons era stuff and performs fan favorite gems like "She's Out of My Life," Human Nature," and "Earth Song" not just the obvious hits.

Thriller was a blast as he invited kids, others on stage to do the Thriller dance with him.

Besides the orchestra, he plays with his own 5 piece band (drums, horns, keyboards etc.) and 3 back-up singers, one of which was a contestant on American Idol.

Their talent is just as extraordinary as James's.

This dude is CRAZY INSANE in a FANTABULOUS kind of way!

I know I made that up.....but he's that GOOD!
lol.gif

And unlike many people, James can actually SING Michael's songs and make u think ur listening to MJ.....almost
wink.gif

His rendition of "Ben" had people in tears.

He spoke so well of MJ and what he did for the world, for charity and talked about seeing him in concert in the 80's.

He said he had the biggest MJ merchandise collection in the world at which point someone threw up on stage a "This Is It" VIP/BackStage Pass to him to add to his collection.
lol.gif

I won't spoil it and tell u his personal story but when he told the story about why he loves MJ and how and why he became interested in his music as a young child,
it will make u cry and wish MJ could meet him and know how he changed this young man's life.

He is a testement to the power that MJ's music and message can have on 1 person who would otherwise be lost in the world.

I met him after the show.

Amazing man, amazing talent.

Who's in the area and can go????

I'm telling u.....it's a great time and u will not be disappointed.

BTW u have not heard "Earth Song" until u have heard it sung in a theatre with perfect acoustics with music played by a 50 piece orchestra!!!!!

swoon.gif

Some more from chauny---

This show is also coming to Belmont, Michigan in August to perform with the Grand Rapids Symphony!
smile.gif

2011 D&W Fresh Market Picnic Pops - The Music of Michael Jackson

* Aug 4, 7:30 pm Cannonsburg Ski Area
* Aug 5, 7:30 pm Cannonsburg Ski Area

Relive 40 years of Michael Jackson's legendary mega-hits as your Grammy-nominated Grand Rapids Symphony and singer/dancer James Delisco takes you through each era od the King of Pop's storied career: from ABC and I'll Be There, to Beat It, Thriller, Rock With You, The Way You Make Me Feel , and more. You'll be moonwalking the night away!

Pre-concert entertainment: Kathy LaMar and Bob VanStee
Brent Havens, Guest Conductor
James Delisco, Singer/Dancer

Cannonsburg Ski Area
6800 Cannonsburg Rd
Belmont, MI 49306

Show Website and Link to Buy Tickets:

http://grsymphony.org/concerts/dw-fresh-ma...n-special-event

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><!--/coloro-->Here's the review from The Buffalo News on the show I attended<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->:

<!--sizeo:4--><!--/sizeo-->Audience revels in BPO&#8217;s tribute to Michael Jackson and his music<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->

By Garaud MacTaggart

CONTRIBUTING REVIEWER

Published:

March 13, 2011

Saturday night in Kleinhans Music Hall isn&#8217;t usually a place and time for dancing in the aisles, but &#8220;The Music of Michael Jackson&#8221; program meshed arrangements of Jackson&#8217;s hits with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra and proved to be an exception. Whole rows of patrons regularly got up and, as the music moved them, shimmied and shook their approval.

The concert began with an electric bass thumping and some percussion popping which, in turn, generated a cry from the audience as the opening riffs to &#8220;Don&#8217;t Stop &#8217;Til You Get Enough&#8221; heralded the arrival of the evening&#8217;s focal point, Michael Jackson, in the person of James Delisco.

Delisco has plenty of personality and played up to the crowd so effectively that it seemed perfectly willing to go along with his role playing. But that&#8217;s what you expect and hope for with tribute shows, something that makes the audience buy into what is being presented and revel in it.

All of Jackson&#8217;s signature performance mannerisms &#8212; the angular yet fluid way he could move across the stage, flinging arms and legs around the rhythm, passionate yelps punctuating the lyrics, moon-walking to delighted shrieks from the fans &#8212; were aped to near perfection. It wasn&#8217;t the real thing, but Delisco&#8217;s interpretation was close enough for one evening.

Delisco slipped into Jackson&#8217;s young and old vocal ranges with surprising ease. In the early Jackson 5 material like &#8220;ABC&#8221; and &#8220;I Want You Back,&#8221; Delisco (aided by vocalists Kelli Reisen and Felica Barton) captured the joyous youthful energy that made Michael Jackson a star.

The rhapsodic vocalizing (and occasional silken squeal) that powered so many of Jackson&#8217;s later hits was duplicated in Delisco&#8217;s take on &#8220;Rock With You,&#8221; &#8220;The Way You Make Me Feel&#8221; and &#8220;Wanna Be Startin&#8217; Somethin&#8217; .&#8221; And when he, Reisen, Barton and conductor Brent Havens slipped spangled gloves on for &#8220;Billie Jean,&#8221; well, the house just went berserk.

Even the more reflective material from Jackson&#8217;s catalog received its due. &#8220;Ben,&#8221; &#8220;She&#8217;s Out of My Life&#8221; and &#8220;Human Nature&#8221; were sensitively delivered, something that, in the case of &#8220;Ben,&#8221; a love song for &#8212; as Delisco noted &#8212; &#8220;a giant man-eating rat,&#8221; is difficult to do straight-faced. You could even discern the orchestra&#8217;s string section, something that was almost buried in the more up-tempo portions of the evening.

Havens is best known in Buffalo for his appearances leading the BPO in popular arrangements built upon the music of rockers like Led Zeppelin, the Doors, Pink Floyd and the Eagles. Based upon audience reaction, his new setting of Michael Jackson&#8217;s oeuvre may be his most beguiling offering yet.

Concert Review

Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra

&#8220;The Music of Michael Jackson&#8221; with conductor Brent Havens. Part of the Pops Series. Saturday evening in Kleinhans Music Hall

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/g...ticle365900.ece

Thanks for sharing, I would definitely go if something like this would be happenning in my country.

That was a great read! Made me cry. But then every thing does these days.

Know it one in St. Louis, MO the St. Louis Symphony is doing a tribute on the June 11th....

It's that time of the year again.
These all sound so exciting! Sounds like a lot of fun.
I was engrossed in every word I read in this thread. Thanks for posting.

I'm glad that someone like Delisco seems only willing to please the fans
and not to exploit or use Michael's name, image and performances for his own gain.

Performer James Delisco delivers a fabulous rendition of Michael Jackson's vocals. Delisco grew up listening to Michael and even met him at a performance in Jacksonville, FL. "James has that rare combination of a fabulous voice, athletic dance moves, and audience sensitivity where he understands what the audience is looking for and needs from the performers on stage. And he delivers," says conductor/arranger Brent Havens. "He has an uncanny ability to make the right move on stage or say the right thing just as the audience is looking for it. It's amazing to see."

He must be GOOD!

Thanks Ankita

Thank you Earthlyme.
The video of James Delisco's interview was informative as well as fun.
For some reason, since I hadn't researched him, I had a whole other perception of what he may be like.

Oh snap! April 22nd!

Last edited:
Back