The Child in The Mirror: A Nietzschean Reading of the Myth of Michael Jackson

HIStory

Proud Member
Very good article comparing Michael to Nietzche's Zarathustra: http://www.redefinemag.com/2013/myth-of-michael-jackson-friedrich-nietzsche-the-child-in-the-mirror/

Extracts:

Rather than being written off as delusional behavior, Jackson’s general fixation on children and childhood can be seen as an enlightened conclusion — one reached by someone who has had the spiritual fortitude to transform his past slavery into a life-affirming vision for the future.

This incident occurs during a time in Zarathustra’s career as a prophet where he has returned to his hermit-home in the mountains, thinking in seclusion following a spell in public. Zarathustra has a dream in which a child comes to him and holds up a mirror, urging him to gaze into it. Instead of seeing his own reflection, he sees the image of a devilish monster. Zarathustra awakens from the dream with newfound resolve to articulate and spread his message, interpreting the dream thusly: “My enemies have grown powerful and have distorted my teachings until those dearest to me must be ashamed of the gifts I gave them”.14 Jackson was extremely familiar with this situation of facing slanderous distortion in the public sphere. Nietzsche himself was likewise familiar with it in his own life. This is a point where Nietzsche’s own biographical details echo through the text of Zarathustra.

For both Nietzsche and Jackson, thorough alienation from society was two-fold. On the one hand, some of it was self-imposed. Both figures spent much of their personal lives in seclusion, and neither felt any real compulsion to mask or bury what others might view as idiosyncratic behavior. Yet on the other, their subversion — in behavior for Jackson, in thought for Nietzsche — ultimately made them targets for rumors aimed to degrade their credibility. In 1887, Nietzsche wrote in a letter to his friend, the musician Carl Fuchs, that, “In Germany they are crying out aloud against my eccentricities. But, as they do not know where my centrum is, it is not easy for them to hit the nail on the head in their efforts to determine where and when I have been ‘eccentric’ in the past”.15

Both Nietzsche and Jackson carved out a great deal of freedom for themselves, and made the utmost good use of that freedom. Of course, this freedom came at a significant cost. A man apart is a man who must face great pain. This means the self-inflicted trials meant to cleanse and perfect his own mode of existing, as well as the public backlash towards that individual’s refusal to conform to stable mores. In these pages, I have attempted to do some healing work. We should envision these two figures reaching across time to lend each other a hand of sympathy — for in both of their cases, their ability to overcome and thrive entitled them to the deepest of joys: the heart which creates fearlessly.

"I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Fascinating article! Thank you for the find! I wish materials like this got wider circulation.

What an enlightening article! Thank you very much for sharing, respect77! Make yourself a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate and read this article! I especially like the following part about Michael, although I never saw him as weird, but on the contrary as very sane in a very weird world. The excerpt highlights one of the many reasons why I love that man so very much:

"Yes, he was odd. Yet in his role as a pop star in the public sphere, there is much more to be said. Jackson was mythically weird, in such a way that his queerness can be understood as his particular type of lion's roar. His means of carving out a place for himself were a series of "no"'s to established norms, both in pop music specifically and in society more generally."

Gina Altamura continues:
"In other words, Nietzsche advocates for a thorough questioning of one's values and beliefs, in order to free oneself from dogma. To be dogmatically rigid about opposing the prevailing order is as philosophically small minded as dogmatically accepting it. In self identifying as evil, the witch or heretic simply accepts the dominant morality, though he revels in taking the opposing stance within it. So, when I refer to Jackson saying "no" to norms, I am not referring to Jackson's boldness in proclaiming that he's "bad", [...] Rather, I am referring to his boldness in owning and expressing a variety of possible modes within his single person. "Bad" is a possibility that he tries on for size, as is "dangerous" - yet so too is the mildly effeminate and gentle man of the Thriller cover. Varying attitudes and correspondingly sculpted images are swapped out regularly with levity - the levity of one who is not chained to any single identity."

http://www.redefinemag.com/2013/myth-of-michael-jackson-friedrich-nietzsche-the-child-in-the-mirror/
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Michael to me was always the coolest cat on the planet, a true punk and rebel for truely being comfortable with his own, unique identity and never letting this small minded society deter him from being who he wanted to be. Always a hero in my book. Nothing wrong with him.

Michael to me was always the coolest cat on the planet, a true punk and rebel for truely being comfortable with his own, unique identity and never letting this small minded society deter him from being who he wanted to be. Always a hero in my book. Nothing wrong with him.

Exactly. Well said.

I always admired Neechee :)

Wednesday, did you write that quote? That's excellent. I'm going to use it, if you don't mind!

Back