The Billie Jean Dance Break

rpvee

Proud Member
Perhaps as legendary as the song itself, the ending dance break of Billie Jean has given us some of MJ's greatest moves...

... all to nothing but the beat of one drum.

If anything is epic, it's that.

Sure, Jackson has incredible routines and moves, but seeing him do his magic to nothing but one repeating drum hit, just an incredibly basic beat, with awesome, somehow haunting cheers from the backup vocalists (that laugh anytime he walks, for example)... it's all just so epic, and whenever a new Billie Jean video is uploaded, I usually just skip right to this moment.

Personally, I love the HIStory tour's version the most. It's by far the most developed, the longest, it has the beatboxing, and the speed of the beat, to me, is perfect (Dangerous Tour's was far too fast, and any break before then too short, in my opinion).

This one (starting at 9:45) is my favorite. The background vocalists are beyond perfect in it, the moves are perfect... I think it all just works more than usual.

In fact, I love that one so much I ripped the audio and set it to the Panther Dance from Black Or White, I thought it fit so well:

An interesting break is Auckland's (at 7:56), for sure. Right near the end, the background vocalists start coming in with first part of the chorus ("Billie Jean is not my lover") at 10:10, which they repeat over and over over that one drum, and then MJ comes in and beatboxes over them... it's amazing:

So let's use this thread to discuss and appreciate this famous, incredible, awesome moment from one of MJ's biggest songs, along with sharing your own favorite moments from it.

I love Billie Jean no matter how or when he did it....he is such a genius...:)...I love to watch him dance

BJ during TII would have been so awesome. Can't believe he past away before he had the chance to just give one full performance. :(

I think the MJ & Friends performance in Korea of Billie Jean was one of his best as well.

Back