The Best Pop Collections

azza

Proud Member
What, in your opinion is/are the best pop music 'Best Of's, Hits collections? What some people call "guilty pleasures", I myself simply call 'pleasures. I'll get the obvious out of they way. Yes, a lot of it is contrived, generic, over-produced, kitch, camp, cheese, but that, is part of the point. It's not to be over-analysed, simply enjoyed for it's aural pleasure. It doesn't all have to be too deep or have any great meaning or poetic truth, although some of it does/can. The lyrics don't have to make sense or connect with you on some sort of spiritual level, although sometimes/alot of the time it bloody well can and does. So here is my favourite pop collections. Whats yours? The discriptions are courtesy of Amazon. It's way past my bedtime.

MJ 'King Of Pop UK-3-Disc Edition
mj-3.jpg

Following the release of the 1CD King Of Pop, Sony BMG are releasing the ultimate fan edition of King Of Pop.

Disc 1 - the classic King Of Pop as voted for by the British public.
Disc 2 - 18 more of Britain's favourite MJ tracks.
Disc 3 - Rarities and Classic 12"s.

There are few true rarities in the MJ catalogue but we have unearthed a few for this one...

Can't Get Outta The Rain - single b-side never released on CD
Is It Scary (single radio edit) - this edit version has never been on CD
Smile (Short Version) - previously unreleased commercially - promo only
Thriller Megamix by Jason Nevins - previously unreleased. Plus two tracks only available on the Ultimate Box Set
On The Line - bonus track included in the `ghosts' boxset video
Someone Put Your hand Out - originally a cassette only promo with Pepsi

Madonna 'Celebration DVD-Audio Version
madge.jpg

The undisputed Queen of Pop, Madonna, releases her third definitive best of collection 'Celebration', after almost three decades of defining the cultural landscape with her own imitable style; this collection inspired by the fans is destined to be every bit as iconic as the 'Immaculate Collection'.From 'Holiday' to '4 Minutes', every song is a classic and is a must for every music collection. Includes new songs 'Celebration' and 'Revolver' with Lil' Jon.

Prince 'The Hits The B-Sides 3-Disc
hits-b-sides.jpg

Even with single edits substituting for full-length versions in a handful of cases, The Hits/The B-Sides is a mighty testament to the man we once called Prince. (For that matter, we still do.) In addition to most of his singles, from "I Wanna Be Your Lover" to "Thieves in the Temple", from "When Doves Cry" to "7", this triple-CD set throws in some worthwhile new music and a full disc of the fantastic flips that made buying 7- and 12-inches a must even when you already owned the A-side. "You can be the side effect," he mutters herein. "I'd rather be the dope." Witness some of the funkiest pharmaceuticals around.

This 3CD set brings together the 1993 compilations 'The Hits Vol.1' and 'Vol.2' (both available seperately), and adds abonus disc of b-sides. The collection concentrates on what was arguably the multi-talented Minnesotan's most fruitful period. A total of ten UK top 10 hits are included.

Britney 'My Prerogative Limited Edition 2-Disc Version
britney.jpg

No longer a baby, Britney Spears has become a pop princess to Madonna's (with whom she sings here) queen. Featuring all her biggest songs, Greatest Hits collects 17 tracks spanning her remarkable career so far. The tracks include her massive pop debut "Baby One More Time", the saucy "Oops!...I Did It Again", the funky Neptunes-produced "Slave 4 U", and the kickin' "Toxic".

George 'Ladies & Gentlemen
george.jpg

Since the break-up of teen duo Wham! in 1986, George Michael has constantly had to reinvent himself as a credible master of various musical styles. Ladies And Gentlemen charts this journey, from his duets with pop elite such as Aretha Franklin ("I Knew You Waiting (For Me)") and Elton John ("Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"), to dance floor classics such as "Too Funky" and "Fastlove" and bleak, evocative numbers such as "Jesus To A Child" and "A Different Corner".

The songs are arranged on two complementing discs: the slower, ballady productions are on the first disc ("for the heart"), and the more dancey, poppy numbers are on the second ("for the feet"). The compilation also includes three tracks specially recorded for the album, most notably his duet with Mary J Blige on the Stevie Wonder classic "As".

This set has been described by critics as the definitive George Michael collection. The first disc brings together the former Wham star's most popular solo ballads; whilst the second concentrates on his uptempo danceable tunes. Twenty of the tracks featured here reached the UK top 40 singles chart,with six reaching the no.1 spot.

Pet Shop Boys 'Discography
pethshop.jpg

Where would the '80s have been without the Pet Shop Boys? Discography makes a compelling case for the notion of Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe as pioneers, if not geniuses. Mixing the cold feel of Euro-techno beats with the Boys' quest for something warm between the sheets, "What Have I Done to Deserve This" and "Suburbia" sound almost soulful. Although they seemed to be suffering from a terminal case of boredom, they managed to alchemize their ennui into touching sentimentality in "Love Comes Quickly," "Rent," and, especially, the AIDS-oriented "Being Boring." Discography begins with the Pet Shop Boys' beginning, "West End Girls," traveling past "Domino Dancing" and including their covers "Always on My Mind," and the medley "Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You.)"

Janet 'Number Ones
jan.jpg

Janet Jackson has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, and is one of the best-selling artists in contemporary music. For the first time ever, all of Janet’s global number one hits, plus the newly recorded single, "Make Me" are available on one album: The Best. The two-disc set includes every number one track from Janet’s original albums, from her 1986 blockbuster breakthrough Control to her most recent, 2008’s Discipline.

ABBA 'ABBA Gold
abba.jpg

Anyone looking for the key to ABBA's enduring appeal should look no further than "Voulez Vous" and "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" for their answer. There was an innocence to the Swedish quartet, even when they were singing about one-night stands and the invitations to them. Gold establishes that the band, while appreciated as campy, were actually multifaceted in their execution. "S.O.S." has a raw urgency in its chorus, and "Does Your Mother Know" draws its energy from classic 1950s rock & roll. Likewise, you don't have to be Priscilla to swoon over "Mamma Mia" or "Dancing Queen". And when it comes to drama, those soaring vocals on "The Winner Takes It All" turn the song into a bitter anthem of every relationship that has ever fallen apart. The much-covered "Lay All Your Love on Me" is practically epic.

This special edition greatest hits collection from arguably the greatest pop group of all time also features a bonus DVD which includes remastered videos of all ABBA’s greatest hits, plus a cartoon version of "Money Money Money" made circa 1977. This very rare clip was made by the Australian production company Reg Grundy and was only ever screened briefly during ABBA's heyday and has never been seen in complete form since.

Wham! 'The Final
thefinal.jpg

One of the defining pop groups of the 1980's, the ebullient duo Wham! were chart toppers and award-winners. With their straightforward, infectious dance pop, members George Michael (who went on to become a very successful solo artist) and Andrew Ridgeley became two of the first Mtv bred superstars. THE BEST OF WHAM! takes a comprehensive musical look at their illustrious career

Kylie 'Ultimate
kylie.jpg

Kylie Minogue, one of the top selling female artists in the world, releases the double CD Ultimate Kylie. This is the only comprehensive collection of her greatest hits from 1987 to the present day and the only one to feature each of her 31 hit singles. Ultimate Kylie also includes two brand new tracks, including "I Believe In You", a stunning collaboration with Jake Shears and Babydaddy from the Scissor Sisters. Ultimate Kylie features, 31 International Top 40 hits, 7 UK No 1 singles and a massive 25 UK Top 10 singles.

'Ultimate Kylie' is the first 'greatest hits' package to span Kylie's entire career. From the early PWL pop of 'I Should Be So Lucky' through to the sophisticated disco grooves of'I Believe In You', the album charts the rise of one of Australia's most popular exports who has earned no less that seven UK number one singles.

Boy George/Culture Club 'The Best Of
culture.jpg

One of the most iconic 80s pop bands, Culture Club racked up seven consecutive Top 10 hits in the UK and went on to score 5 Top 10 albums.

This 2-disc collection of all the hits - including the smash singles "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" and "Karma Chameleon" - as well as promo videos, a band interview and live performances on the accompanying DVD.

Erasure 'The First 20 Hits
az.jpg

A singles band if ever there was one, the hits on Pop make the duo of Andy Bell and Vince Clarke of Erasure sound like the Rogers & Hammerstein of synth-pop disco. With the exception of The Circus and The Innocents albums, most of Erasure's full lengths house only a few brief moments of brilliance, the rest of the songs being limp and uninspired. But putting songs like "Blue Savannah" with its sweeping loveliness, the haunting "Ship of Fools", and the campy, raucous "Love to Hate You" all on the same disc shows that when Erasure is on, they shine like a thousand-carat tiara. The energetic and electronic disco is front and centre here with "Oh L'Amour" and the audience participation number "Stop!", but the beautifully crafted "Sometimes" shows the band's true potential. The irrepressible melody line is punctuated by an acoustic riff and a melancholy trumpet solo that actually has to do its best to keep up with Bell's warm lament. An indispensable collection.

Last edited:
All of the above except I'd swap the Wham! one for Wham! - The Final.

And the PSB one for Discography as that captures them more in their prime.

I'd probably swap Kylie for Abba Gold (which is nearly as good as Azza Gold!)

All of the above except I'd swap the Wham! one for Wham! - The Final.

And the PSB one for Discography as that captures them more in their prime.

I'd probably swap Kylie for Abba Gold (which is nearly as good as Azza Gold!)

Your spot on about The Final. I'm gonna take artistic licence and add that, aswell as 'Abba Gold, which incredibley I've forgotten to add! My Abba Gold is the original one that was released quite a few years ago with the black cover. Is your one the gold cover? and does it contain a different track list? I'll click it out on Amazon.

This thread actually came from your insistence of not counting such collections in various top-10, best album type lists ( Which I agree with you). It got me thinking of a list of such collections, and a list of their own.

Your spot on about The Final. I'm gonna take artistic licence and add that, aswell as 'Abba Gold, which incredibley I've forgotten to add! My Abba Gold is the original one that was released quite a few years ago with the black cover. Is your one the gold cover? and does it contain a different track list? I'll click it out on Amazon.

This thread actually came from your insistence of not counting such collections in various top-10, best album type lists ( Which I agree with you). It got me thinking of a list of such collections, and a list of their own.

Mine's the original Abba Gold. There is a More Abba Gold as well. If I could only choose 2 albums to rescue it'd be The Essential MJ and Madonna's Celebration.

Mine's the original Abba Gold. There is a More Abba Gold as well. If I could only choose 2 albums to rescue it'd be The Essential MJ and Madonna's Celebration.

I know your a big fan of 'The Essential MJ, but for me there's a freshness about King Of Pop-3-Disc UK Version, that I like, partly because it doesn't present the tracks in chronological order, and it puts a prespective on his music that makes you realise it's timeless pop. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, followed by The Way You Make Me Feel, Butterlies followed by Who Is It etc...The Bonus Disc contains the 12" version of Billie Jean (which is far better imo, because it contains those add-libs at the end, that he used sing live, 'your just a silly girl' etc) 12" Bad add-libs are also awesome. Speechless, Butterflies, Ghosts, Smile, History, Is It Scary, On The Line, Say Say Say, are all thrown into the mix amongst the Hits ( and they fit so well amongst them) and it gives it more of a personal feel. Perhaps it's because I'm used to the same Hits in the same order, that it's refreshing. Also ( and I actually like this) it edits out the intro's of songs like You Rock My World, Will You Be There, Heal The World, and cuts straight to the actual song, which as an introductory to his music, I think works well. Will You Be There, Stranger In Moscow and Speechless all coupled together sounds incredible.

^ yeah, I keep meaning to get it. If it had full Who Is It I probably would.

I just like the idea of MJ's songs presented this way and how it all sounds as one collection. Parlty because I'm so used to the songs following an order from listening to their albums. Something like Britney's My Pereogative (although doesn't follow chronological order either) wouldn't bother me as much because I've not listened to her albums. If you could only have one Britney record, this imo is it. I'm gonna look out for that Pet Shop Boys. Pop Art is the only one I have. George Michael had a 3-disc Hits album a few years ago (TwenthyFive) which included Wham! songs and songs from Patience, but I think Ladies & Gentlemen works better as a collection.

I just like the idea of MJ's songs presented this way and how it all sounds as one collection. Parlty because I'm so used to the songs following an order from listening to their albums. Something like Britney's My Pereogative (although doesn't follow chronological order either) wouldn't bother me as much because I've not listened to her albums. If you could only have one Britney record, this imo is it. I'm gonna look out for that Pet Shop Boys. Pop Art is the only one I have. George Michael had a 3-disc Hits album a few years ago (TwenthyFive) which included Wham! songs and songs from Patience, but I think Ladies & Gentlemen works better as a collection.

Yeah George's 25 wasn't brilliant. Had too much from the dodgy Patience. If you can get it I implore you to get a bootleg of George's Unplugged from 1995 or 96. It's perfect vocally and all the songs are newly arranged for the better. His versions of Praying For Time, Fastlove and Star People from there are amongst my favorite recordings of all time.

The best pop collection I have is Savage Garden's Truly, Madly, Completely. It collects all the B-sides and outtakes from the SG and Affirmation sessions and also two Darren Hayes solo tracks. Perfect compilation but hard to come by.

Some editions also include a DVD of video clips and another CD (yes, another one!!!) of remixes which were released on various singles and promo releases.

The best pop collection I have is Savage Garden's Truly, Madly, Completely. It collects all the B-sides and outtakes from the SG and Affirmation sessions and also two Darren Hayes solo tracks. Perfect compilation but hard to come by.

Some editions also include a DVD of video clips and another CD (yes, another one!!!) of remixes which were released on various singles and promo releases.

LOVE this collection.

The song "I don't care" is a gem. Also, I am always finding myself replaying "California." Darren Hayes' voice is one of the few voices out there that gives me chills and as a male singer is one of the few that is truly distinguishable. He's in my top five five favorite male vocalists. Top being Michael, but he's in the top five as well as the great Steven Tyler. This collection truly is a gem and worth having in anyone's collection.

**thumbs up**

I didn't even realise Savage Garden had a Best Of. They only had, what 2 albums? They were a fantastic pop group. I had a look around for 'Truly Madly Completely' yesterday in a few shops. No sign. Would love to find a copy with the dvd an bonus disc. I've seen the album sleeve, probably depending on what country your in, comes in a varitey of different colors. I'm on the look out for it.

Savage Garden 'Truly Madly Completely
savage.jpg

With sales of over 23 million, Savage Garden are one of the most successful duos of all time. Four years after parting company to pursue their own music careers, Truly Madly Completely - The Best Of Savage Garden celebrates the time they spent together and is jam packed with their mega hits along with two brand new songs from singer-songwriter Darren Hayes, "So Beautiful" and "California Home". Combining feel-good pop with plaintive ballads, the bandchalked up a succession of hits in the 90's, making them a truly global phenomenon. Includes the singles 'Truly Madly Deeply' and 'Animal Song'.

Take That 'Greatest Hits
takeit.jpg

The definitive 1990s boyband, Take That may have set the blueprint for a million copycat groups since--Five, Boyzone, Backstreet Boys--but they had an all-important advantage right from the start: bucketloads of fantastic pop songs. In terms of sheer quantity alone, their chart successes racked up more sales than any other British artist since the Beatles, and this Greatest Hits package has them all, including "Relight My Fire", "Back For Good" and "Pray", spanning an impressive eight number ones in five years. From the hi-energy rush of "It Only Takes A Minute Girl" to the smoochy "A Million Love Songs" to Mark Owen's heartfelt rendition of "Babe", it is a well-trodden wander down memory lane, but the impeccably polished production and Barlow's relentless ear for a catchy tune ensure it's a highly entertaining one.

The Bee Gees 'The Ultimate
beegee.jpg

Functioning as something of a replacement for the 2001 collection 'Their Greatest Hits: The Record', 'The Ultimate Bee Gees' covers much of the same ground as that double-disc set. However, this collection opens with the bright, fabulous blast of 'You Should Be Dancing' and remains in their late-'70s heyday for a while before fast-forwarding to such latter-day adult contemporary hits as 'One'. Along the way we hear Beatlesque, 60s-era singles - such as 'To Love Somebody' and'Massachusetts' - making this record a must for lovers of slick and classic, harmony-based pop.

Girls Aloud 'The Sound Of/The Greatest Hits
girlsaloud.jpg

Ever since they trounced rival boy band One True Voice in the 2002 final of Popstars (The Rivals), Girls Aloud have gone from strength to strength, blasting their way into the charts with every new release, even trashing The Spice Girl's record of 10 Top Ten singles with their own new record of 12 (and counting). The time is thus ripe for a Best Of anthology, which is exactly what The Sound Of Girls Aloud is. Raiding the quintet's three albums to date (Sound Of The Underground, What Will The Neighbours Say? and Chemistry) the collection offers all twelve of the band's chart-smashes to date, from early, breakthrough tracks (the surf-guitar-riding "Sound Of The Underground" and the wannabe spy-movie theme "No Good Advice"), their cover versions (of the Pointer Sister's "Jump" and The Pretender's ballad "I'll Stand By You", and other GA faves like "Love Machine", "Long Hot Summer", "Biology", "The Show" and "Whole Lotta History". There are four new tracks, including the catchy new single, "Something Kinda Ooooh", and the Limited Edition version features demo versions of "See The Day" and "Biology" and additional unreleased material.

Inaugural best-of compilation from hugely popular Brit girlgroup, one of the original successes and longest survivors of the reality TV-generated pop explosion which has come to dominate the charts. Bringing together all their biggest tunes to date, this collection shows how, by utilizing the skills of some of the UK's sharpest and most forward thinking pop producers, they have managed to remain ahead of the pack. Includes the new single 'Something Kinda Ooooh'.

Elton John 'Greatest Hits 1970-2002 3-Disc Version
elton.jpg

Greatest Hits 1970-2002 is the first attempt to consolidate all of Sir Elton's hit singles, from three different labels, in one collection. It once would've required at least four different CDs to own the best stuff here. Popular wisdom dictates that the legendary performer was at his best in the early to mid-1970s, and the incredible string of singles that ran from 1970's "Your Song" through 1977's "Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word" remains mightily impressive. But in retrospect, as presented here, 1980s hits such as "I'm Still Standing" and "Sad Songs" add much to an already amazing legacy. Three Disney tunes, the lush "The One", and two from Songs from the West Coast, which was hailed as a return to those golden days, represent the later years. Collectively, these tracks reinforce the notion that, despite Michael Jackson's proclamations, John was once the closest thing post-1960s music had to a genuine king of pop, respected by hipsters and the mainstream alike.

'Greatest Hits 1970-2002' covers thirty two years of hits by Elton John. Features thirty four digitally remastered tracks, beginning with 1970's 'Your Song' which was his first top ten hit single and finishing with 2002's 'This Train Don'tStop There Anymore'.

Spice Girls 'Greatest Hits
girls.jpg

"Best of" compilation from one of the most successful bands of all time, and the leading exponents of 'Girl Power', the Spice Girls. Putting a sassy strut back into pop music with a succession of hit singles, movies and tours, this band were arguably the most successful British band since The Beatles, as this hits compilation will attest. Includes the tracks 'Wannabe', 'Stop' and 'Viva Forever'. This black edition comes with a dvd.

Last edited:
Great picks, everyone! I agree with them all. Can't think of any to add at the moment. Maybe Bon Jovi's new hits collection.

51TewPUFnvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, a definite great collection is this:

Queen+-+2000GreatestHits123.jpg

You guys took all mine :( lol.

My favourites are:

MJ King Of Pop 3 disc
Janet Jackson Number Ones (although mines called The Best)
Madonna Celebration (but I don't like the new songs on there Lil Jon :puke:)

Stevie Wonder Song Review
Stevie_wonder_-_song_review_a_greatest_hits_collection-front.jpg

Az, if you love Pet SHop Boys best of, you should add Erasure's first collection, Pop!

Sheer pop genius.

Az, if you love Pet SHop Boys best of, you should add Erasure's first collection, Pop!

Sheer pop genius.

Tony, have you seen this? Looks brilliant.

erasure.jpg

Artist:Erasure
Title Of Album:Total Pop! Deluxe Box
Year Of Release:April 7, 2009
Label:Rhino Records
Genre:New Wave/Electronic Synth/Candy Pop
Quality:MP4A
Bitrate:VBR
Total Time:03:40:10
Total Size:536 MB

Tracklist:

CD 1

01 Who Needs Love (Like That)
02 Heavenly Action
03 Oh L'Amour
04 Sometimes
05 It Doesn't Have To Be
06 Victim Of Love
07 The Circus
08 Ship Of Fools
09 Chains Of Love
10 A Little Respect
11 Stop!
12 Drama!
13 You Surround Me
14 Blue Savannah
15 Star
16 Chorus
17 Love To Hate You
18 Am I Right?
19 Breath Of Life
20 Take A Chance On Me
21 Who Needs Love (Like That) [Hamburg Mix]

CD 2

01 Always
02 Run To The Sun
03 I Love Saturday
04 Stay With Me
05 Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
06 Rock Me Gently
07 In My Arms
08 Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me
09 Rain [Al Stone Mix]
10 Freedom
11 Moon & The Sky [Jason Creasey's Heaven Scent Radio Mix]
12 Solsbury Hill
13 Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
14 Breathe
15 Don't Say You Love Me
16 Here I Go Impossible Again
17 I Could Fall In Love With You
18 Sunday Girl
19 Storm In A Teacup
20 Always [2009 Mix]

CD 3

01 Spiralling [The Circus Tour *1987]
02 The Hardest Part [The Innocents Tour *1988]
03 Drama! [The Wild! Tour *1989]
04 Knocking On Your Door [The Wild! Tour *1989]
05 Push Me Shove Me [The Milton Keynes Bowl *1990]
06 Voulez-Vous [The Phantasmagorical Entertainment Tour *1992]
07 Am I Right? [The Phantasmagorical Entertainment Tour *1992]
08 Heart Of Stone [The Phantasmagorical Entertainment Tour *1992]
09 Who Needs Love (Like That) [The Tiny Tour *1996]
10 Rain [The Cowboy Tour *1997]
11 Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime [The Sanctuary EIS Christmas Concert *2002]
12 Piano Song [The Other Tour *2003]
13 Hideaway [The Erasure Show *2005]
14 Breathe [The Acoustic Tour *2006]
15 Oh L'Amour [The Light At The End Of The World Tour *2007]

Formed in 1985 by Andy Bell and Vince Clarke (a founding member of Depeche Mode and Yaz), Erasure is one of modern British pop's most enduring success stories. From dance floor symphonies and synth-pop power grooves to soulful acoustic ballads, the duo's songs are anthems of love, lust and longing that fuse unerring pop sensibilities and dazzling theatricality. Rhino pays Erasure more than "a little respect" with TOTAL POP! - DELUXE BOX, a 3-CD/1-DVD collection featuring remastered versions of the group's first 40 singles-sequenced chronologically on two CDs spanning 1985 to 2007-plus 20 years of vintage live recordings on a third CD and a DVD of rare BBC performances. An accompanying 76-page booklet boasting new notes and an exclusive interview lavishes even more "L'Amour."

Disc One presents the complete 2009 remastered edition of Pop! - The First 20 Hits, Erasure's 1992 singles compilation, which was group's fourth consecutive #1 album in the U.K. The disc contains all the singles from Erasure's 1986 debut Wonderland through the 1992 EP Abba-esque. Highlights include the Top 20 U.S. pop hits "Chains Of Love" and "A Little Respect;" the #1 dance single "Victim Of Love" and the fan favorites "Oh L'Amour" and "Chorus." Also featured is a remix of their very first single, "Who Needs Love (Like That)" (Hamburg Mix).

Disc Two continues the chronological progression of Erasure's music with 19 singles released from 1994 to 2007, the year of their most recent album, Light At The End Of The World (represented by "I Could Fall In Love With You," "Sunday Girl" and "Storm In A Teacup"). The CD opens with the Billboard Top 20 U.S. hit "Always"-which also went Top 10 on the dance and modern rock charts-and closes with Jeremy Wheatley's brand new mix of the song, made just for this box. Other standouts include "In My Arms," "Breathe" and an inspired cover of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" from Erasure's 2003 album Other People's Songs.

Disc Three spotlights Erasure live, compiling 15 rare performances recorded during more than ten tours staged between 1987 and 2007. Among the highlights are three songs each from the 1989-1990 Wild! tour ("Drama!," "Knocking On Your Door and "Push Me Shove Me) and 1992's Phantasmagorical Entertainment tour ("Voulez-Vous," "Am I Right?" and "Heart Of Stone). Also featured are stunning versions of "Breathe" from Erasure's 2006 Acoustic tour and "Oh L'Amour" from their 2007 world tour in support of Light At The End Of The World. The DVD for the DELUXE BOX is a treasure trove of many of the best of Erasure's appearance at the BBC from 1986 to 2005. Opening with "Sometimes" from their landmark 1986 Top Of The Pops debut, the disc's other highlights from that show include a six-song set from 2003. Also featured are performances from Daytime Live, The Tom O'Connor Roadshow, Pebble Mill, Wogan, Later With Jools Holland and other programs.

Cher 'The Greatest Hits
cher.jpg

She-who-has-only-one-name has been responsible for some of the biggest, world-swallowing hits of the late 20th Century and they're all collected here in one convenient, 19-track package: "Believe", "If I Could Turn Back Time", "Walking In Memphis", even the duet with ex-husband Sonny Bono "I Got You Babe". An excellent career overview of one of pop's premier divas.

The Eurythmics 'The Ultimate
lizz.jpg

Off we frolic into the frothy 80s as Eurythmics hurl their luscious tunes of yore at us again. But shame on you if you plan to make do with their Greatest Hits. This bad boy boasts two new tracks, including the single ''I've Got A Life'', a typically emotive synth-pop offering from the electro-twosome. The classics are still fresh: each one - from ''There Must Be An Angel'' to ''You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart'' - glowing with romantic insight, not to mention an opportunity for poptastic living-room prancing.
Nostalgia aside, age hasn't withered Lennox's heartfelt holler as the new tracks prove: and ''Was It Just Another Love Affair?'' could rival chillout-maestros Zero 7 for warmth and shimmer. Special.

To coincide with the release of digitally remastered and expanded versions of all eight of their studio albums, the legendary 80s synthpop duo present this updated greatest hits collection. Daring and provocative, Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart sold millions of records with their sophisticated, adult-oriented pop. This CD contains all their finest tunes as well as the new single 'I've Got A Life' and is also available as a DVD.

Blondie 'Greatest Hits
blondie.jpg

Many things were begotten by the New York class of 76 bands: Talking Heads gave us art-rock; the Ramones gave us freedom from anything using more than three chords and lasting more than two and a half minutes; Johnny Thunders gave us a template for Guns 'n' Roses (cheers Johnny) and Television gave us mind-bending guitars and bleating poetry. But what of Blondie? Always with an eye firmly superglued to the prize, they were often reviled for their ability to mould their perfect pop into chart-ravishing hits. Plus, they had a blonde singer with an appeal beyond the geeky new wave set, so they couldn't be taken seriously, could they? Wrong, and wrong again. History has, again proven that these boys (and girl) in skinny ties were one tough, pioneering bunch. Here's the proof.
Superceding previous hits collections due to their reformation (and subsequent #1 with ''Maria''), this collection brings us up to date. Despite the undoubted quality of the recent material, Blondie's place in the pop pantheon was assured by about 1980. How many other bands could fill an entire album with nothing BUT hits (including 7 #1s)? OK, the early singles from the first album (''Rip Her To Shreds'' and ''X Offender'') weren't really hits but check out the quality. It's clear that Chris Stein, Clem Burke, Jimmy Destri and co. knew exactly what they were doing from the word go.

You know the score, from the tumbling naivety of ''Denis'', to the widescreen bluster of ''Atomic'' or ''Union City Blue'', they couldn't put a stiletto wrong. There's the proto-rap of ''Rapture'' (bad pun, great single), the disco heaven of ''Heart Of Glass'' and the purest pop of ''Sunday Girl''. In all this chart-worrying action it's also worth remembering that they culled these nuggets from albums that never even approached shabby. Parallel Lines still stands as an artistic whole that's as valid and era-defining as Marquee Moon or Remain In Light.

So, no arguments - Blondie were, in modern parlance, the bomb. Musical chops, sharp suits and a singer whose iconic resonance has yet to fade. Yet again, they're gonna be your number one... --Chris Jones

"Definitive" best-of compilation from new wave superstars responsible for one of the most enduring legacies of the punkera. Features all of their US and UK hits including 'Denis', 'Call Me', 'Hanging On The Telephone', the number ones 'Heart Of Glass', 'Sunday Girl' and 'Atomic' and their version of the reggae standard 'The Tide Is High' (recently covered by Atomic Kitten), as well as their debut single 'X Offender' and their 1999 comeback hit 'Maria'.

Last edited:
I didn't even realise Savage Garden had a Best Of. They only had, what 2 albums? They were a fantastic pop group. I had a look around for 'Truly Madly Completely' yesterday in a few shops. No sign. Would love to find a copy with the dvd an bonus disc. I've seen the album sleeve, probably depending on what country your in, comes in a varitey of different colors. I'm on the look out for it.
Two albums and plenty of singles. It's on eBay but can go for ridiculous prices...the only reason I'd pick it up would be for the B-sides I can't find on singles to get them in one package as well as the music videos (which were pretty good for their time).

A lot of people say their music is pop-fluff and at times, the first album is. It's fun but has some serious songs on there like Mine with reference to a crucifix sadly removed from the US editions for reason of pissing off the religious groups replaced with the dismal Promises.

The second album, Affirmation is much more serious and really shows development in less than two years. Some frightening and serious themes on that record yet some light stuff too. Just a perfect band.

Two albums and plenty of singles. It's on eBay but can go for ridiculous prices...the only reason I'd pick it up would be for the B-sides I can't find on singles to get them in one package as well as the music videos (which were pretty good for their time).

A lot of people say their music is pop-fluff and at times, the first album is. It's fun but has some serious songs on there like Mine with reference to a crucifix sadly removed from the US editions for reason of pissing off the religious groups replaced with the dismal Promises.

The second album, Affirmation is much more serious and really shows development in less than two years. Some frightening and serious themes on that record yet some light stuff too. Just a perfect band.

My girlfriend has both albums but there in England. I've never really listend to the albums. I really liked the singles but for some reason I never bought anything by them. I really want to hear the albums aswell as the Darren Hayes solo albums.

Yeah, a lot of people call much of pop-music 'fluff' but sometimes thats all you want. You don't want to think too much about it, just enjoy it for what it is. Personally, I cannot stand musical snobery. I could spend days on end talking about Bob Dylan and what he's done for music and a million reasons why "I" feel he's the greatest musical poet of our times etc...But I find such attitudes, self serving pomp. Theres only 2 types of music, that of which you like and that of which you don't like. Thats not aimed at anyone here ( before I get people jumping down my throat).

I've been rediscovering pop-music lately and it has as much to offer ( me atleast) as much as Classical,Jazz,Folk,Rock,Country,Soul,Blues, etc. A pop song can move you every bit as much as a piece of classical music. And thats good enough for me. It also puts you in a good mood and is uplifting.

Az, you beat me to at, I was going to add Eurythmics Greatest Hits.

Also, Sugababes Greatest Hits, along with Girls Aloud, some of the best pop songs of the last 10 years. Especially the faster ones.

Track Listings
1. Freak Like Me
2. Round Round

3. Red Dress
4. In The Middle
5. Stronger
6. Shape
7. Overload
8. Good To Be Gone
9. Caught In A Moment
10. Ugly
11. Easy
12. Too Lost In You
13. Run For Cover
14. Hole In The Head
15. Push The Button

Az, you beat me to at, I was going to add Eurythmics Greatest Hits.

Also, Sugababes Greatest Hits, along with Girls Aloud, some of the best pop songs of the last 10 years. Especially the faster ones.

Track Listings
1. Freak Like Me
2. Round Round

3. Red Dress
4. In The Middle
5. Stronger
6. Shape
7. Overload
8. Good To Be Gone
9. Caught In A Moment
10. Ugly
11. Easy
12. Too Lost In You
13. Run For Cover
14. Hole In The Head
15. Push The Button

I also beat you to it with Girls Aloud, Tone Bone! It's on my first post along with Ereasure's Pop (which I'll be buying soon) The Girls Aloud 'Sound Of/ Greatest Hits is definitely one of the best pop collections to come out of the noughties. I never had anything by The Sugababes, so I'll also pick up their Greatest Hits. I want to put together the most comprehensive pop collection of all time. Of coures, it's a purley subjective thing but highly enjoyable. I've noticed that the bulk of what I like from the genre is synth-driven and the lyrics (a lot of the time) are probably written around the melody. Am I being too specific?

Travis, I love that Queen 3-set collection. It's superb. I'd probably list it in a different genre than Pop along with the Stevie Wonder collection. They most definitley fall under the category "Pop" but then, as I say, am I being too specific? Great choices everyone. Awesome.

Sugababes 'Overloaded The Singles Collection
suga.jpg

It's been a slightly tumultuous but hugely successful ride to the top for UK superstars The Sugababes. They've lost not one, but two band members since forming in 1998, but have nonetheless achieved three Brit Awards, an ESKA, a slew of chart hits (including four number ones), four well-received LPs and - more recently - an inclusion in the Guinness Book Of Records for 'Best Female Act Of The Century'. Overloaded, their fifth official album, is a Greatest Hits package, bringing together most of their main singles so far. Beginning with their Richard X produced hit "Freak Like Me" (their first number one), the album profiles most of their hits, including all their most addictive moments - such as "Hole In The Head", "Round, Round" and "Push The Button" - but excluding more lukewarm releases like "New Year", "Soul Sound", "Angels With Dirty Faces" and "Follow Me Home". There's some new material too, notably "Easy", the band's lascivious collaboration with Californian rock band Orson, and the catchy "Good To Be Gone", which is slated to be the second single from the album.

'Overloaded' is a career-spanning greatest hits package from the most successful girl group of the noughties, Sugababes. A pop group that have never shied away from the edgier side of pop, Keisha Buchanan and co. have topped the charts allover the world with their catchy brand of urban pop music, and this compilation is sure to prove popular with their legions of fans. Includes the singles 'Freak Like Me' and 'Round Round'.

Whitney Houston 'Greatest Hits
with.jpg

For an artist who only released four proper albums in a 15-year career, it's astounding to recall how many hits Whitney Houston was able to achieve. The two CDs on Greatest Hits track Houston's rise from mid-1980s hit machine balladeer to standard-setting diva. Disc 1, CoolDown, runs chronologically through Houston's down-tempo love songs, from "Saving All My Love For You" and "I Will Always Love You" to the cleverly conceived new duet with Deborah Cox, "Same Script, Different Cast". She's also showcased as the remixee of choice for DJs on the second disc, Throw Down, which serves as the antidote to the lovesick first disc. Calling in marquee mix masters, Houston's old-shoe tunes get a new millennium polish. "My Love Is Your Love", reinterpreted by Jonathan Peters, captures the versatility of Houston's songs by making the downbeats danceable without going totally Euro-cheese. In contrast, Junior Vasquez's remix of 1985's "How Will I Know" pokes fun at the song's 1980s fluffiness by layering in bells, lasers effects, and echoes on top of Whitney's enthusiastic vocals.

Last edited:
I really love the 2 Celebration CDs from Madonna! I think it's one of the best pop collections ever (but Michael is much better, of course :p). It would have been even better if so many songs hadn't been edited.

Back