The Beach Boys

jdogg7716

Proud Member
Country
United-States
The Beach Boys are by far my favorite band of all time, I’ve listened to them since I was a baby because that’s all my grandpa would listen to. I assume most know a lot about them, but there are probably some of u and a majority of the world thinks their just an old band that plays old beach surfing songs in the summer time, really there is so much more than that. There story is one of the most wild, interesting, sad, and amazing stories I’ve ever heard. I personally think their harmonies are better than any other band out there, and Brian Wilson is on motzart level of genius, plus they were the beatles biggest rivals and were the ones who inspired Sgt peppers lonely hearts. I know this is a Michael Jackson fan forum but I just to express how much they also mean to me and I just wanted them to have their own thread as well.

I never warmed much to them but I love Kokomo and I know most of their bigger hits like most human beings. I also know the Pet Sounds album and know of its notoriety but I somehow never warmed to it.

I love the song In My Room. It's so beautiful.

I never warmed much to them but I love Kokomo and I know most of their bigger hits like most human beings. I also know the Pet Sounds album and know of its notoriety but I somehow never warmed to it.
Rolling Stone magazine ranks Pet Sounds number 2 in 500 greatest albums of all time

Off topic. False forum. Mods please.
Better you post this in a Beach boys forum.
There’s The Beatles, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix, Donald Trump, 60s rock, etc. It’s common to make one thread that involves another artist, not uncommon at all. I’m allowed to do this

From the i newspaper (UK) earlier this year:

"In 1966, The Beach Boys' bassist Bruce Johnston came back to his London hotel room to find two surprise guests: John Lennon and Paul McCartney. “Kim Fowley [Johnston’s friend and record producer] was waiting for me in the lobby and said, ‘Bruce, I’ve let Lennon and McCartney into your suite because they want to hear Pet Sounds,” Johnston recalls.

Brian Wilson, The Beach Boys’ troubled mastermind, had written Pet Sounds after hearing The Beatles’ 1965 album Rubber Soul, taking it as a personal challenge to reach new creative heights. He hadn’t released the resulting opulent masterpiece yet, but it was no wonder Lennon and McCartney wanted an advance hearing: The Beatles and The Beach Boys had a musical rivalry that was pushing the boundaries of pop music.

“They were really polite,” says Johnston now. “They wore those Edwardian suits.”

He duly played them the record. “They were just kind of shell-shocked,” he says, “at the brilliance of the album and our voices and especially Brian. They listened to it twice. I found out later that ‘Here, There and Everywhere’ on the Revolver album was influenced by ‘Wouldn’t it Be Nice?’.” Paul McCartney went on to say the album’s glorious, hymnal centrepiece “God Only Knows” was the best song ever written.

ard as it is to imagine now, not everyone shared Macca’s enthusiasm. From 1961, The Beach Boys’ trademark had been good-time, braggadocious surf-car-girls-sun songs that mixed Chuck Berry-like rock’n’roll with barbershop harmonies – “I Get Around”, “Surfin’ USA”, “Fun Fun Fun” – capturing the essence of Californian youth. “The beach was a big deal,” says singer and lyricist Mike Love, cousin of the Wilsons.

“And how do you get to the beach? In a car. So Brian said, ‘we’re gonna do a song about surfing.’ There was instrumental surf music, but nobody had ever done a song about surfing. And it resonated not just with people on coastlines but all over the place.”

But Pet Sounds was a giant leap forwards: an experimental, symphonic take on loneliness and longing that used the sound of flutes, theremins, bicycle bells, Coca-Cola cans and barking dogs. “Capitol [Records] didn’t get it,” Johnston says. “It wasn’t a girls and cars summery album.” Nor did the public: the album stalled at number 10.

(The Beach Boys by the Beach Boys is out now (Genesis Publications, £50). The Beach Boys documentary is out now on Disney+)"

Book review:

"The normal breakdown of the vocal harmony for The Beach Boys had Brian with the clear high falsetto, and Mike with the bass vocals. Carl. Dennis, and Al filled in the middle parts of the complex harmonies. Also, not long after Brian stopped touring in 1965, Bruce Johnston took over those high falsetto vocals. Here’s Mike Love explaining their vocal blend. In their teens they would harmonize at family gatherings (you might have to click to enlarge):"

IMG_0472-2-scaled.jpeg

Back