The B-52s soar again!

L.J

Proud Member
The B-52s soar again

After years of being the B-52's, the band is now, officially, the B-52s. Hey, dropping an apostrophe may seem like a little thing, but think about the years that writers have tried to figure out how to make “B-52's” possessive. Now it will be so easy to tell you about the B-52s' new album, Funplex, released March 25 — the band's first studio recording in 16 years.
040208_b52Funplex.jpg
Wait, 16 years? How can that be? Even more startling to this old fart is that the B-52s played their first concert in 1977 — 31 years ago. But the B-52s are one of those bands you know even if you don't know you know them. Case in point: “Love Shack.”

Last year, a Target commercial used part of B-52s' song "Junebug" "Junebug."

(More cowbell!) And one of the few things worth remembering from the Season 3 L Word episode, “Lonestar,” is the appearance of the B-52s at the Planet. The song they performed, "Pump" is on the new album.
Pump,”

Another track from Funplex,"Juliet of the Spirits"
"Juliet of the Spirits,"
was featured in Season 5 of the L word: “Lights! Camera! Action!”

040208_b52pierson.jpg
Funplex doesn't seem quite as innovative as some of the band's past recordings, but the humor and quirkiness that made the B-52s famous shines through. And to be sure, the band is having fun. Silly, cheesy fun.

Music like that just makes me smile. Spinner has featured Funplex on its “CD Listening Party” for the past week or so, and you may be able to hear the entire album free for a few more days. Go here and scroll right through the album covers to find it. The B-52s also will join Cyndi Lauper for the True Colors tour this summer.
040208_b52Bs.jpg

What do you think of the new songs? Is the band back or is the B-52s one of those bands that should've stayed retired?

http://www.afterellen.com/blog/thelinster/b-52s-soar-again

Last edited:
Wow, no more apostrophe? :eek::D

The B-52s are a lot of fun. I think if they don't want to retire, then they shouldn't. Plus, they sound pretty good here. And Kate Piersen still has it. My fav song is Rock Lobster. Lovin the cowbell there. lol

Nice match up with Lauper; another fun nut. :D

yeah :D

sometimes it's fun just to hear some quirky crazy music :D

and everyone knows LoveShack :lol:

that song gets revived that much :rofl: "love shack baby the looove shack" *dances* :dance:

B-52s are amazing. Good Stuff is one of my favourite albums of all time, and together with MJ's Dangerous and janet was never off my CD player in the early 90's. I'm really looking forward to Funplex.

I saw them live in 93 and they were fantastic. One massive party. I reckon they've dropped the appostophe so people know how to serach for them on t'internet.

I love the B-52s, they're fun and they don't take their art that seriously. They remind me a bit of Frank Zappa, in a way.

Last edited:
"Shake that jelly round and round .... feel that rhythm"

*dances*

Just watched them clips again LOL you know what they're just so fresh and fun feeling as opposed to a lot of others I've listened to. They're totally unique I love their sounds they make, and they make me laugh check out their performance of Rock Lobster on Countdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLQSDNDyyM

Yay, Rock Lobster! :)

*dances*

The music, the costumes, the hair (lol); they took nuttiness and silliness to new heights. So much fun.

Hey, the guitarist's shirt looks like it was designed by Mondrian, the artist; he's fun too.

Yup; there are no others artists out there like the B-52s. :)

Back